SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PenFed Blimp Crashed at US Open
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PenFed Blimp Crashed at US Open Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Video below

quote:
http://www.jsonline.com

ERIN - A PenFed blimp deflated, burst into flames and crashed late Thursday morning near the U.S. Open at Erin Hills.

The blimp went down about 11:20 a.m. near Highway 83 and Highway 167.

One person - presumably the pilot - was transported by Flight for Life from the area of the crash just after noon. The blimp was operated by AirSign, an aerial advertising firm with operations across the country.

The pilot is okay but suffered some burns, a spokesman for AirSign said in a telephone interview from the company's Florida office.

The pilot remained with the blimp as it slowly descended to the ground.

"He stayed with the blimp until it went down," he said, adding that a crew member on ground pulled the pilot from the wreckage.

"It started deflating, and then it started going down," said Bryan Rosine.

"They were trying to give it some throttle and it didn't go up," he said. "Then there was a bunch of kabooms and smoke clouds."

Another witness, Tim Guetzke, said "the side started deflating. One side was going in. As it headed toward the ground, it caught fire."

ROSAL

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xbxsZjagMVA

(Glad to hear the pilot appears to be ok.)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Fortunately it was filled with helium, not hydrogen.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
"Mayday! Mayday! I'm going down!....I'm still going down!....Uh, still going down!"

While he still suffered injuries, he was lucky it was such a slow descent.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18092 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Phil staged it so he could get his 4 hour delay? Wink

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Now you see why banking institutions favor inflation.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Wonder if he still has to make the balloon payment?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Wonder if he still has to make the balloon payment?

On de faulty brimp?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Blimp

There's a clue in there...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Read about this over lunch earlier.

Nasty hot and humid (at least for Wisconsin) this afternoon, so I'd be mad at any delays.

It's no Hindenburg, but it added some excitement I'm sure. Hope the pilot has full recovery.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
PenFed is my bank

just saw a deduction from my account - $35...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53787 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pilot got hurt, what makes this funny? He's lucky to be alive.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
The pilot got hurt, what makes this funny? He's lucky to be alive.

Really?

Come on, no one thinks or suggested his injuries are funny.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pilot remained with the blimp as it slowly descended to the ground

As opposed to....?

Posts: 21346 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post