SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Framing Nailer: Buy or Rent?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Framing Nailer: Buy or Rent? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So, for the framing nailer, which I expect to use for two projects & done: I borrowed. But today I got to thinking about all the trim work I have in front of me, and, having found out the hard way a finish nailer is sometimes overkill for that, picked up a Hitachi brad nailer.

K'chunk K'chunk Big Grin. One of Norm Abram's favorite tools.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ll be buying the Hitachi framer!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8368 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

As I noted a year ago: I borrowed my next-door-neighbour's framing nailer. Ended-up borrowing it for nearly a year, but he didn't mind. Figured on borrowing it, again, when I resumed the Man Cave Project and for the Store Room Project.

In the meantime: Lowe's had a killer deal on the Hitachi 23 ga. wire nailer. Something like half price. I grabbed one. I could not let that deal pass me by!

Now I'm working on the Garage Remediation Project (see: Construction Experts: I Believe Our Garage Is In Distress (somewhat photo-heavy)). I'll need a framing nailer for that.

Then it's back to the Man Cave Project, for which I'll again need a framing nailer.

Then it'll be the Storage Room Project, for which I'll need, you guessed it: A framing nailer.

Lastly (?) there'll the Family Room Remodelling Project, in which I'll be mostly (?) gutting the 23' x 13' family room and updating it. It's possible I'll need a framing nailer for that project.

My need for a framing nailer has now far surpassed the "borrow it" stage. So today, when I'm out acquiring materials for the Garage Remediation Project, I'll pick up a Metabo HPT NR90AES1 framing nailer Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the new prices then hit the pawn shops. Several years ago that's what I did. I found a very good used one for 1/2 the price of new. We were re-modeling the our new fire station (took a year or so). I keep it for about 3 years then doubled my $$.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but the immediate project needs to happen without further delay. (See referenced link in previous post.) So, while I may be able to find the exact nailer I want and I would likely save some money that way, I may also be buying somebody else's trouble. If I buy it new and have any trouble within a short time I can just take it back and they'll give me another. A pawn shop: Not so much.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bostich nailers in many sizes have done very well for me.
Also when (after several years of use) an air seal blew in one and the parts were easy to get.
YMMV

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question:
So: Framing nailer: Buy or Rent?

Choices:
O A man can never have too many tools! Buy it!
O Enough with the hoarding, already! Rent it!
O I like pie!
X buy the Hitachi, and sell it for 1/2 price on the Sig Forum, when you are done.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I was this >< close to buying the Hitachi--currently on sale at Lowe's for $150. Only thing that stopped me yesterday afternoon was finding I'd have to buy nails 1000 at a time. They're not expensive, but what the hell was I going to do with a thousand freaking nails?

Well, how many nails do you need? I'm pretty sure code around here requires you scatter just as many as you use all around the property you are working on.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
There was a time I could hammer it all day. Big Grin Not so much any more. Frown

Lowes had a Bostich for $199. Probably fine for a home gamer. To rent one from the local rental place is $104 a week.

Pretty easy math if you need it much at all...

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have seen people recommend you buy the tool brands that the rental place rents, theory being they are likely very dependable and a good value for the money. I don't know if that is sound advice or not but for what it's worth the local rental place rents SENCO air nailers.

Anyone have any thought on that brand? They run ~300 bucks on Amazon for a framing nailer.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Impact driver and T25 3", 3.5" and 4" drive screws as needed

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Well, how many nails do you need?

How many I need has no bearing on how many I've ended-up with. You can only buy 'em in boxes of a billion Smile

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Lowes had a Bostich for $199. Probably fine for a home gamer. To rent one from the local rental place is $104 a week.

Pretty easy math if you need it much at all...

My math was even easier, at first: Borrow.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I have seen people recommend you buy the tool brands that the rental place rents, theory being they are likely very dependable and a good value for the money. I don't know if that is sound advice or not but for what it's worth the local rental place rents SENCO air nailers.

Anyone have any thought on that brand? They run ~300 bucks on Amazon for a framing nailer.

That's expensive for a weekend warrior framing nailer. The Bostich you mentioned would probably do you just fine. However, the Metabo HPT (formerly Hitachi) I bought consistently ranks w/in the top three in shoot-outs. Last time somebody asked about nailers, Hitachi got more recommendations than any other.

The one I bought is currently on sale at Lowe's for $180.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Impact driver and T25 3", 3.5" and 4" drive screws as needed

Depending upon the application: Absolutely not! Nails have much higher sheer strength. In this particular case, framing (rafter ties, to be exact), nails are called-for. I don't know as screws would even meet code.

However, in addition to not having the strength or stamina to drive 16d nails all day long, I've always been hit-or-miss with a hammer. Often more miss than hit. So nailer Smile