SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Framing Nailer: Buy or Rent?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Framing Nailer: Buy or Rent? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've got a project where I'll be putting up 16 feet of header on a ceiling to accommodate two levels of dropped ceiling. I'm not real handy with a hammer on the best of days. Overhead nailing even less so. So I'm thinking framing nailer.

After that project is done I'll be dividing another portion of the basement into a storage room. I'm looking at roughly 16 feet of wall (8' x 8') and a bunch of shelving. No doubt a framing nailer would come in handy for that, too.

I'm certainly not averse to buying new tools for a project. And we're not talking a lot of money. The Estwing EFR2190 looks to be adequate for my needs and can be had for less than $150. There are others in the same price range. But the house is overflowing with "stuff," most of it mine, and I'm not certain that, beyond these two projects, I'll ever again have need of a framing nailer.

Looks like they can be rented around here for around $30/day.

In your comments, recommendations on brands and models welcome, if you have them.

Question:
So: Framing nailer: Buy or Rent?

Choices:
A man can never have too many tools! Buy it!
Enough with the hoarding, already! Rent it!
I like pie!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paslode is the brand. Owned them for years, can be rebuilt and parts are available. Just had a 20 plus year old 3-1/2" framing nailer serviced and the cost was $65 USD which included new seals and top cover plate on this model.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
If your only using it for a few projects which can be completed in a day by all means rent. Personally unless your set on using nails have you considered using an impact and screws? Timewise it is slightly slower however when I’m framing at home time isn’t an issue. Even at work I primarily use an impact to complete small framing projects vs dragging out the compressor and hose. Cordless framers are handy but much higher priced.

On another note one of the other supervisors I work with has used Harbor Freight nail guns with no complaints other than to not use their nails.

Posts: 783 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by staugustfla:
Paslode is the brand. Owned them for years, can be rebuilt and parts are available. Just had a 20 plus year old 3-1/2" framing nailer serviced and the cost was $65 USD which included new seals and top cover plate on this model.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Paslode is correctly named. It is a load that should be passed.

If you want a framing nailer that lasts forever, there is only one. Hitachi.

OP, for such a small project, I bet you could borrow such tools. Also, consider that 3" screws are adequate to the task, if I understand what you've described. A decent cordless drill/driver can do small framing jobs.

Rent, or borrow. Don't buy a tool you'll rarely use.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It totally comes down to you. If you are the kind of guy who goes looking for projects to justify buying another tool (because no man can ever have enough tools), then buy it and move on, as it will make you happy. However, with this talk about too much stuff in the house, you don’t sound like that guy. Unless it is going to cost more to rent, renting may be the better option for you. I’m a big fan of screws and a cordless drill too, that may be your best option. A little slower, but plenty strong...

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another option is to buy the nailgun, do your project and then sit on it for a year or two. By then you will have either found other projects that you want to use it on or find out that you really aren't going to be doing any more construction. Then you sell it. Long term rental.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 345 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Paslode is correctly named. It is a load that should be passed.

OP, for such a small project, I bet you could borrow such tools. Also, consider that 3" screws are adequate to the task, if I understand what you've described. A decent cordless drill/driver can do small framing jobs.

Hitachi all the way. I have seen some hitachi guns that have been used almost daily for 2 decades running like a top.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1869 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Given the description of the current job, I would most likely rent one. If you decide to buy, make damned sure you buy a reliable/good brand!!!

Went down that road a while back when putting a new deck on a 9x30 foot deck. The damned nailer was a piece of shit, jammed like crazy, about 20 % of the nails didn't sink, were bent or otherwise malfunctioned.

Took the damned thing, along with its compressor, to Lowes. Bought a crap load of exterior grade deck screws with T5? heads on them. Used an impact driver to fasten all those deck boards down. Already had the impact driver so that was a no cost issue. Over all, saved a goodly portion of money by using the deck screws and driver bits.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Bought my Hitachi a few years ago on sale, and with only one project in mind to use it on.
Have used it a few times since. Never know when you might need it again, so if you can find one for a decent price, go for it.

One thing to consider outside of the brand, is whether you want a full head nailer versus clipped head nails.

Full head nailers might cost a bit more, and carry less nails per strip, but more durable it you need to pull a few. Clipped head nails are more prone to breaking head of if you need to pull them.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
As a homeowner, I have , over time, bought 5 nailers for projects. I have everything from a farmer to a brad nailer. I can always sell them and get most of my $$ back.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has a used tool shop out this way. Email me if you want his phone number, he's open on Friday and Saturday only but he will do a meetup at his shop on other days.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ref: Paslode....Agree to disagree based on the older guns I have that are 25+ years old, replaced two sealing rings from wear, other parts from extreme drop damage over the course. Use life based on structural framing.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I'm a Hitachi owner.
Have had mine almost 30 years now. Bought it used. After setting for about 10 years I had to re-kit it as all the rubber had rotted.
Very easily done with parts readily available and reasonably priced.

Posts: 18143 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Bought my Hitachi NR83 back in the 90’s. It drives every brand of nail without a hiccup. Never any problems. Careful, it’s easy to nail your hand to your work with a framing nailer. BTDTx2.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
After that project is done I'll be dividing another portion of the basement into a storage room. I'm looking at roughly 16 feet of wall (8' x 8') and a bunch of shelving. No doubt a framing nailer would come in handy for that, too.

Bostich owner here.
I would say a framing nailer for shelves might be a bit much.
I have used a 16 gauge finish nailer (18 gauge brad nailer for little projects) for a lot of intermediate projects where the framing nailer is just too big or too deep.
Even with some intermediate projects the finish nailer and a little Gorilla Glue goes a long way.
YMMV

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, consider that 3" screws are adequate to the task, if I understand what you've described. A decent cordless drill/driver can do small framing jobs.
^^^This. Screw those headers in place. No muss no fuss.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Bought my Hitachi NR83 back in the 90’s. It drives every brand of nail without a hiccup. Never any problems. Careful, it’s easy to nail your hand to your work with a framing nailer. BTDTx2.

Not only your hand!!!!!!

My brother had a neighbor who was sitting on a saw horse playing with a pneumatic staple gun.

Stapled his nut sack to the saw horse.

Of course the medics were really sympathetic when they got there.

They cut the saw horse off about 18 inches in front, and even with his butt cheeks in back.

Then put him on a stretcher, covered with a sheet. One can imagine the hub bub that caused getting into the ambulance, from there to the emergency room.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hitachi framing nailers are THE STANDARD.
Walk through any house being framed and 9/10 framing nailers in use are Hitachi - they last forever and can be easily refurbished/rebuilt if/when needed and keep working.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bostitch on eBay (used) framed an entire. basement and relisted it.
I actually got more than I. paid for it. So. my vote would be buy use and resell, but not a new one....

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Hitachi is the only way to go. Refurbs work well and there might be some on sale for Black Friday.

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post