SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Acustic guitar question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acustic guitar question Login/Join 
posted
Hey there, I ended up getting an acustic electric guitar to learn on my downtime since it feels better than waste time on TV or games.

So I ended getting a Yamana FGX830 which sounds great from factory. Ended getting it from friends recommendations since they been playing over 20yrs on their bands( they use Martins and Taylors). And recommended me get installed bone nut and bridge saddle.

I took it to a guitar shop and they also questioned me 'why' replace them since it is still new. Well, I rather do it now and not do anymore customizations later. Later they called and mentioned that the bridge saddle was too small and if I wanted the old plastic one back or they could insert one of their bone ones. I went with theirs.

question is how can you tell if it was bone since it is installed? I can tell off by tapping it with something.

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Are you concerned they installed a fake one?

I'm not aware of any sure fire way to test one, short of a microscope or something.

Maybe there is one, but I dunno.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Why the G string is always out of tune

Just getting my old Guitar out and found this vid. You may enjoy it as well.

Your post reminded me one of the highlights.
Lizard Spit in your G string Nut slot.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, just learn the Yamaha as it is. If you get proficient, you will want to upgrade to a instrument like a Martin or a Taylor. Save your money.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
More important than the nut/saddle material is the string height/set up is done correctly. That will make the guitar more playable and help you to practice more. You're way too early in your guitar "career" to think about tone produced by an aftermarket nut/saddle.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
In my opinion, just learn the Yamaha as it is. If you get proficient, you will want to upgrade to a instrument like a Martin or a Taylor. Save your money.
Mike

Sounds like the deed is done, Mike.

Assuming you did some research on the luthier, or that the shop was recommended by the same friend who directed you to change the nut and bridge, I think you have faith that the shop has to have integrity to stay in business. That said, since a bone nut and bridge saddle is organic, you should be able to see the difference with a good magnifying glass.

Do you like the set up when the luthier finished? Get busy.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could shine a really bright flashlight on the saddle. Sometimes you can see a distinctive difference in the grain patterns of bone and plastic. You could try tapping them side by side. Bone usually sounds different but not everyone can hear it.
Bone nuts and saddles aren't always upgrades. Many times there's no difference in tone at all. There's absolutely no guarantee that bone will necessarily sound better.
The most important thing is if the nut and saddle are cut correctly and do they fit correctly.
As an experiment, loosen the strings enough to pull the saddle out of its groove. Then put the old one in and tune up. Play awhile and listen carefully. Then put the bone saddle back in, tune up and listen carefully.
Do you hear a difference? Do the strings buzz? Is there any difference in how it feels to play?
There are some good videos out there that will teach you how to shape your own saddle and nut. Its rewarding and you won't have to wonder if you got what you paid for.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike

Agreed. Putting a bone nut or saddle on any guitar is a small change and a small improvement. On this guitar, that small improvement won't make much difference.

And bone is harder and more clicky feeling than plastic. And it looks like bone - there is a certain "grain" plastic doesn't have.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Mike

Agreed. Putting a bone nut or saddle on any guitar is a small change and a small improvement. On this guitar, that small improvement won't make much difference.

And bone is harder and more clicky feeling than plastic. And it looks like bone - there is a certain "grain" plastic doesn't have.

I'm no expert, just a decent campfire player, but IMO you're not going to get a lower end guitar to sound like a higher end guitar no matter what you do to it. Save your money and if you get good enough to where it'll make a difference to have a higher end guitar, buy one then. Until then, it's all in the left hand. Learn your chords and practice practice practice.

I would suggest one thing to do though. My Yamaha had a really high action on it. If your's is the same, getting that lowered will help a lot when you're just starting out. Be careful they don't go too low though.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just my 2 cents. And to let you know, I'm a Taylor fanboy. My go to guitar is the Baby Taylor. It plays well enough. It's smaller than a full size. The action is good and the fretboard is standard. And it is a Taylor. I would say that a low end guitar is hard to play because of the quality. Which leads to early frustration and eventually quitting. Spending too much may not be in the cards. So a good midrange Taylor would be my first recommendation. It will sound good straight from the box. It will generally have a good action. It will stay in tune. And it will provide a lifetime of playing if taken care of properly.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
No need for a Taylor or Martin… Jesus it’s like all these people here are either lawyers or consultants.

If you’re going to go that route, just call my buddy up in Maine and have one made for yourself by luthier Laurent Brondell.

Sounds like you’re in the steel strings, but classical guitars are another option.

Go to your local guitar store and buy a decent instrument for less than $1000. Heck, an old Takamine could be awesome, or even something like a Hohner from Germany or at worst, a good Yamaha. Sheesh, You might like an Ovation for fucks sake.

Enjoy… There aren’t that many rules

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

I thought what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

I thought what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stzd8:
question is how can you tell if it was bone since it is installed? I can tell off by tapping it with something.[/QUOTE

Use a hot pin to test for plastic.
Just like a test for ivory, get a red hot sewing needle and poke the material.
If its plastic it will smell like plastic, bone and ivory smell like burnt hair.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There is nothing terribly low end about modern Yamaha acoustics. They're perfectly fine for most folks, and widely used and appreciated. I must have ten friends and former bandmates and such who own and play them. Excellent values, generally.

Dude doesn't need a Taylor, or a Martin, etc, unless he just wants a fancy guitar.

Most any new acoustic that costs $250+ is just fine for most things, and if the action sucks take it to a luthier/tech and have them set it up and adjust it all, $100 or less, generally, and they'll file the nut and adjust to your wants/style.

My travel/beater acoustic is literally a $200 retail "POS", offbrand, "garbage", that I was given years back by a neighbor before they moved.

I'd never buy a new $250 guitar myself, I'm far too snobby and spoiled with options, but this POS guitar is perfectly fine, plays well, has good action, stays in tune.

My favorite acoustic presently is a much nicer Waterloo, fwiw, and old Martins, but this cheap piece of shit that I was given is surprisingly nice and totally fine.

Don't get caught up in the idea of needing anything fancy. Nothing wrong with fancy, but most any of these newer guitars are well past good enough for basics.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lineman101:
This is just my 2 cents. And to let you know, I'm a Taylor fanboy. My go to guitar is the Baby Taylor. It plays well enough. It's smaller than a full size. The action is good and the fretboard is standard. And it is a Taylor. I would say that a low end guitar is hard to play because of the quality. Which leads to early frustration and eventually quitting. Spending too much may not be in the cards. So a good midrange Taylor would be my first recommendation. It will sound good straight from the box. It will generally have a good action. It will stay in tune. And it will provide a lifetime of playing if taken care of properly.

That Yamaha is a good guitar, if not a top tier model. Yamaha makes a really good guitar at a reasonable price. You'll do well with it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all your inputs. I knew I was gonna get honest opinions from you guys that's why I posted here.

Well, I checked and it is bone after all. But yes, I is not something it needed to be done on first thing since getting it. I know replacing the nuts and saddle is not gonna make me play better but I just wanted to do that so I don't mess with it later on, since it is a cheap mod.

But I was glad to get the strings adjusted, it came way high from factory. Now I can play comfortably without touching the other strings.

I mainly got this one since it sounded great when tried compared to other ones on the 500 range. Later one I may plug it in but for now acustic is going be my practice. I am glad to pick it up again (used to play Electric Ibanez RG550 in 90s). I helps exercise the fingers, focus while at home.

Again thanks for replying,

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
No need for a Taylor or Martin… Jesus it’s like all these people here are either lawyers or consultants…

Confused One poster said maybe get a Martin or Taylor after the OP learns and becomes proficient with his Yamaha. Another said a mid-range Taylor might be a good value. I don’t see anybody recommending the OP go spend lawyer money on a guitar.

I kinda like my $600 used Martin D-16. I’ve had it for 15 years, that’s $45 a year. I’m neither a lawyer nor consultant.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You picked a decent acoustic to start with and you did about as much as I would do with it, and you did it right off the bat. Congrats on getting back into playing, and I hope you enjoy your new Yamaha.

I will speak directly to the assertion that replacing plastic saddles and nuts with bone doesn't make that much difference in a cheap guitar. This is wrong. It can make a huge difference, as long as we're not talking a Walmart First Act.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Yamaha. The current FG series may be cheap in price but the quality control is great and they're just a solid guitar. I've been shocked at how good they sound.
Its a golden age for guitar players on a tight budget. Its not like it used to be.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post