SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Subaru/ front end knowledgeable, step inside please**updated**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subaru/ front end knowledgeable, step inside please**updated** Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
It’s paid off so I’ll happily shell out upkeep money to keep it on the road.
At 7.5 years and 80k miles, my truck finally needed new front and rear brakes complete. In 2019 I did not skimp replacing the 6 yr old battery, and I was not starting now.

The shop wanted to use "their" parts but I went the extra mile and supplied OEM ACDelco. Drums, shoes, springs, rotors, pads, clips. No regrets. A part lasts for EIGHT years, why replace it with anything else?

Heck, even the dealership is promoting half-price "Professional-Series" replacement parts.

Next job: Carid took my order for the ACDelco OEM serpentine belt, idler pulley, and tensioner. Awaiting drop shipment from the manufacturer. Even though there are parts at a third of the cost, it is working great at 8 years / 86000 miles, just starting to make a racket (the tensioner). So why mess with aftermarket kits?

If a tensioner blows out on scenic US-191 between Appleton and St Johns, will I really save a nickle with a cheap parts kit? Big Grin

Can't think of more fun with a 15mm ratchet. Twenty minutes, and it'l be better than new, at half the cost of a shop and their 'kits'.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have needed to replace control arms on several mid-2010s Subarus, most recently a 2014 Forester. So far it has always been the front bushing, and the left side. Typical:

The front bushing is at the lower center, the rear bushing at upper left, ball joint at upper right. Note the size of the front bushing compared to the rear. This is why the rear bushing failure is unusual. The ball joints are their own brand of "fun" (not) to replace.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post