SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What not to say at the Thanksgiving Dinner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What not to say at the Thanksgiving Dinner Login/Join 
posted
Thought this might be fun. A few examples would be:Wow you sure are eating a lot. Is Billy still in jail? etc.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Politics and religion. Can't bring up either of those subjects.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10714 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Mom, did you thaw this turkey in the toilet again?

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweat pants? Already given in?

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
So... I loose track, what number husband is this?

Are you expecting?

Does your new therapist seem to be helping?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
You can always say something nice. Even if it's

"You don't sweat much for a fat girl".

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
"Spread those legs so I can get at the good stuff!"

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This food sucks.

Here’s your seat; it’s rated for 300 pounds.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
“You know I’ve gone vegan”……

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm glad I only went on that one date with your sister.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
How do I cook the frozen turkey in the microwave on Wednesday night?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness it's just my wife, daughter and I having Thanksgiving dinner together this year. I don't have to worry about avoiding politics, religion or any other subject (unless it's my teenage daughter's interest in boys) as we see eye-to-eye on most everything.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky, we are heading to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, everyone there are "like-minded" individuals (regarding those things that matter...) So, it will be an evening of good food and good conversation.

No LEE-Bore-Als in attendance. Smile

To all the Sigforum members, have a Happy Thanksgiving.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
As you walk into the hosts house, just yell out, "HEY!! What smells like crap?!?".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
{On Thanksgiving Thursday} Where can I get an accurate digital thermometer?
Build a time machine and go back to Monday. Since it's Monday, there is still time to buy a quality, accurate thermometer that will arrive before TG. Here are a few:
  • Instant read - I highly recommend ThermoWorks Thermapen. It's extremely fast, extremely accurate, and extremely rugged. In 2012, I tried to cheap out and bought Amazon's best reviewed $20 instant read digital thermometer and it lasted about 7 months. I replaced it with the Thermapen and not only is it faster and more accurate, but I'm still using it. All I've had to do is keep it clean and periodically swap batteries.
  • Leave in - I use the Thermoworks Smoke for both my BGE and my oven. It has a wireless transmitter with a long range and I can check temps or receive temp alarms across the street.
  • Bargain Instant Read - Thermoworks ThermoPop is $21. It's a 3 to 4 second read and plus/minus 2 deg F.
  • Bargain Leave In - ThermaPen DOT is $45. 4' high temp probe cable. Pure simplicity with 2 displays - current temp and alarm temp.
    quote:
    I'm using my cookbook from 25 years ago and don't care if several years ago USDA research lead to a revised 165 deg safe cooking temperature for turkey.
    That is a paraphrase, and I was a guest so I tried to share the new information in a polite manner when the turkey was at 165 and dinner was on time. Dinner was an hour late and the entire hour was spent making bone dry 180 degree internal temp turkey.
    quote:
    I don't own a thermometer and trust the pop-up thermometer in the turkey
    The free pop-up thermometer is notoriously inaccurate and often results in dry turkey. Think of it as a device that says it's safe to eat, but doesn't give a shit if it tastes like 30 year old shoe leather.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The 2nd guarantees the 1st
    Picture of fiasconva
    posted Hide Post
    "Is anything worth eatin' this year?"

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Only the strong survive
    Picture of 41
    posted Hide Post
    Old Turkey:

Around Thanksgiving a few years ago, radio commentator Paul Harvey shared a true story of a woman and her frozen Thanksgiving turkey.

The Butterball Turkey Company set up a telephone hotline to answer consumer questions about preparing holiday turkeys. One woman called to inquire about cooking a turkey that had been in the bottom of her freezer for 23 years. That's right—23 years. The Butterball representative told her the turkey would probably be safe to eat if the freezer had been kept below zero for the entire 23 years. But the Butterball representative warned her that even if the turkey was safe to eat, the flavor would probably have deteriorated to such a degree that she would not recommend eating it.

The caller replied, "That's what I thought. We'll give the turkey to our church." Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I can't tell if I'm
    tired, or just lazy
    Picture of ggile
    posted Hide Post
    What's that unusual flavoring in your turkey?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    How come the toilet is not flushing?

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Are you out on bond?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post