SIGforum
Forum data restored from backup

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4100065494

September 02, 2022, 08:00 PM
jaybirdaccountant
Forum data restored from backup
I got a couple emails that replies had been made to a post of mine, but then they disappeared. Now I know what's going on. Thanks Smile
September 02, 2022, 08:22 PM
ScotP7
Thanks, Boss.
September 02, 2022, 09:13 PM
cooger
That explains it. I started a post about tool organization earlier and came back to find it gone. I was worried I’d broken a rule or did something wrong.

Glad it’s back up and running. I love this place!
September 02, 2022, 09:22 PM
SIG4EVA
Picked a great day for it to happen. Glad it was nothing major.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
September 02, 2022, 09:38 PM
Skins2881
Was wondering what was going on.

Did IT ask you to check if was plugged in, then instruct you to clear browser and restart?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
September 02, 2022, 09:39 PM
TheFrontRange
Like many, I got a little antsy, too, when the site wouldn’t load - glad it’s back!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
September 02, 2022, 09:47 PM
Balzé Halzé
No doubt, that was some nerve racking shit right there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
September 02, 2022, 10:15 PM
CPD SIG
My own personal Groundhog Day?

You mean I'm going to have to re-do the whole shitty day again?

UUUGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roll Eyes

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
September 02, 2022, 10:37 PM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
I felt a disturbance in the force.....

Smile Smile

Serious about crackers
September 02, 2022, 11:50 PM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is a unique event in the history of this forum. We had a crash and had to restore data from overnight backup, so, all of our witticisms today have disappeared.

Oh good, I won't get banned for my comments today Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
September 03, 2022, 12:26 AM
monoblok
quote:
...witticisms...

Really? We have witticisms here? Razz

Good to hear that things are up and running in fine order again, even if I actually missed the original calamity.

-MG
September 03, 2022, 04:00 AM
V-Tail
Have you tried re-booting it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 03, 2022, 05:19 AM
frayedends
Who are you people and how did I get here?

These go to eleven.
September 03, 2022, 06:44 AM
randyman
We must have been mistaken for those damn MAGA republicans. Thanks. Joe!
(NOT!)
September 03, 2022, 10:02 AM
Southern Rebel
Well, the good news is that, in my 13 years of membership, nothing I have posted would be missed if it all disappeared. However, the words of wisdom of my fellow members are cherished by me and I would sorely miss any day of loss!
September 03, 2022, 10:13 AM
Nipper
I was in IT for 40 years before retiring. That's why God provides backups. Thanks for the heads-up. Smile

September 03, 2022, 10:40 AM
bendable
I didn't do it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 03, 2022, 12:13 PM
V-Tail

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 03, 2022, 12:20 PM
architect
As much as we are reminded and urged to make sure backups are current and frequent enough to be useful, many forget to ensure that they are comfortable and familiar enough with the restore function that they can exercise it when required. Unused skills erode quickly, and when you are under pressure to restore service, the last thing you want to do is to be looking up procedures in manuals and being uncertain about how to do it.

So, as an exercise, those of you who are responsible for systems integrity, please do an artificial backup/restore cycle on a periodic basis, annually is probably enough. Waiting until you have to is too likely to lead to un undersired result, e.g. over-writing and losing your backup data or any one of a thousand other complications. And, as always, when it comes to backups, two is one and one is none, three is one is probably a better adage.

Props to Para for his quick and accurate recovery of the forum's data.
September 03, 2022, 12:27 PM
0-0
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20