SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saw something interesting on the road, had to take a picture.....(some sort of plane/car)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw something interesting on the road, had to take a picture.....(some sort of plane/car) Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
ME 261.5?

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Yep. I vote for enclosed motorcycle-based car thing as well. For the most part, they're treated as motorcycles for registration and regulation purposes, although around here you don't have to wear a helmet if they're closed in.

There was an Elio I used to see pretty regularly painted to look like a clown fish.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looking at the wheel configuration, it appears to be a motorcycle with training wheels on the sides, and an enclosure that is supposed to suggest "airplane."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by dubya:
Empire's spotted "car" here has two wheels in the back. The Louisianna Elio (which may never go into production) has two in the front similar to a Can-Am, but the Elio has a body. It was supposed to be made in a closed Harley factory.

The Elio no longer really looks cutting edge any more...

There is also a Polaris Slingshot but those are pretty much $80K+.

The Can-Am Spyder at 20Kish is the likely the most affordable that is available.

They're both like 20k.

I was gonna say.. $80k pesos maybe.

Even the top top highest-end Slingshot you can get is about $35kish. The cheapie models MSRP starts at $22k.

Perhaps he's confusing the Slingshot with the Ariel Atom? Although that has 4 wheels, the price point is a bit closer, and it is a tube chassis like the middle pic..

I assumed he was thinking of the KTM X-Bow

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
That is a Litestar. Made between 1984 and 1990.

http://www.autocycles.org/

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4804 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will have to figure out what I was looking at that was $80K. Even uses they were about that. I will have to cogitate on this...

Yes, it was the X-Bow. I had seen an ad on the idiot box and had checked on them...

Quote...Pricing of the U.S.-spec X-Bow will start at $88,500 for the base 'Street' model. Stepping up to the 'Clubsport' will set you back $103,500, while the up-level 'Superlight' will list from $134,500. The range-topping 'GT4' is set to carry a starting price of $139,000.

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
It looks like the fuselage of a Bede BD-5.

Apparently Jim Bede also designed the Litestar (thank you, OneWheelDrive).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
That'll never fly.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Guess that what happens when you lose your wings or your well grounded Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Only three wheels at most would touch the ground at any one time and on straight sections the wing wheels would not touch at all.

This allowed the vehicle to be a motorcycle and not a car.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4804 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post