SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did scaffolding become necessary to work on cars?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did scaffolding become necessary to work on cars? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
To work on the distributor on my 1961 K1000 4WD GMC Suburban, I climb into the engine bay and sit on the inner fender.
GM trucks up to 1998 with the small-block had very spacious engine bays that you could sit in while you worked.

quote:
1960-1963 GMC V6s are the only engines other than General Motors V8s that had a distributor cap with a point adjustment window allowing points to be adjusted externally while the engine is running.

This was dangerous on the Buick engines (their distributors were front-mounted), as the window was next to whirling fan blades.

I don't even have my dwell meter any more, but in a pinch, you can get the points close enough to run, screw them out (increases point gap, decreases dwell) until the engine started to miss, screw them in, again until it started to miss, then turn the adjustment back halfway. A matchbook was a cleaning and adjustment tool. The striking surface would clean burnt points, one side of the cover was a feeler gauge for setting them, and folded over was a spark plug gap feeler gauge. I haven't done any of this in ~30 years. And don't miss it.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
trapper,

I did a search on YouTube on the oil change procedure. It has a plastic oil drain plug? Confused

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
To work on the distributor on my 1961 K1000 4WD GMC Suburban, I climb into the engine bay and sit on the inner fender.
GM trucks up to 1998 with the small-block had very spacious engine bays that you could sit in while you worked.

quote:
1960-1963 GMC V6s are the only engines other than General Motors V8s that had a distributor cap with a point adjustment window allowing points to be adjusted externally while the engine is running.

This was dangerous on the Buick engines (their distributors were front-mounted), as the window was next to whirling fan blades.

I don't even have my dwell meter any more, but in a pinch, you can get the points close enough to run, screw them out (increases point gap, decreases dwell) until the engine started to miss, screw them in, again until it started to miss, then turn the adjustment back halfway. A matchbook was a cleaning and adjustment tool. The striking surface would clean burnt points, one side of the cover was a feeler gauge for setting them, and folded over was a spark plug gap feeler gauge. I haven't done any of this in ~30 years. And don't miss it.

My owners manual has the procedure for setting points of turning until it misses then back the other way 1/3 of turn I think. Web lore is that this procedure works well and is nearly as good as using a meter. I should do this procedure and then check with a meter. But I already set with a meter.

Got to watch those whirrly bits. A friend had his hand go through the V belts of his inboard ski boat and really messed it up. I'm thankful for the stark reminder to be careful and go into high alert whenever the engine is running and hatch is open.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
trapper,

I did a search on YouTube on the oil change procedure. It has a plastic oil drain plug? Confused

Yeah, the pan is plastic (some sort of composite really) as well. I wouldn’t normally watch a video for an oil change, but when I went to order filters and found they were the cartridge kind, I figured a video would be prudent. It’s the 3.0 EcoBoost motor.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
DANG! SIGforum costing me more money AGAIN!! Razz Razz

Thanks for the link, tatortodd…[like button]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Changing the oil & filter, battery, etc, are some of the few things I can do anymore to our newer vehicles. And they're making that harder.

My 2015 GMC needed a new battery last year, but the fender brace goes right over top of the battery. No way to change the battery without removing it.

My wife bought a 2019 Grand Cherokee & we had free oil changes from the dealer for two years. When it came time for an oil change, I got a filter, but when I looked at it, it was a cartridge filter. I thought, that can't be right. Nobody uses them anymore. It was right and the filter is ON TOP of the engine.

I got another surprise when I looked for the battery in the Jeep. There are heavy positive & negative terminals under the hood, to use when jumping a vehicle, but no battery. The battery is under the passenger seat!

I think the engineers sit at their desks, laughing their asses off, and yelling to one another, "Hey! Come look at this! This'll drive them nuts."

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Under the passenger’s seat, nice.

I did finally find the battery in the Explorer yesterday and at least it’s in the engine bay. I was in a bit of a rush the first time I looked and just hooked the air compressor to one of the batteries in my truck. The battery in the Explorer is in front of the firewall on the passenger’s side hidden under a plastic panel.

Changing the cartridge filter was sweet, except for it being under a brace between the strut towers running across the engine. Probably the cleanest filter change I’ve ever done.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post