SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    15 Horses shot and killed in Eastern Kentucky.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 Horses shot and killed in Eastern Kentucky. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Why, why, why, did some one do this?

The cruelty to animals in this world, for no reason. This should be classified with the new Federal animal cruelty laws, and only a $500 rewaed for information?

FLOYD COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT/Gray News) - Fifteen horses were found shot and killed near a strip-mining site in eastern Kentucky after being hunted down, authorities said.

"This is very inhumane and it's a very cruel act of somebody who just apparently had nothing else to do or whatever just to go back on a strip job and shoot down horses who were, one of them obviously was feeding, had grass in its mouth," Floyd County Sheriff John Hunt told WYMT. "It looked like a battlefield for just horses."

Some of the horses were pregnant, while others were less than a year old.

They were found along US 23, near the Pike and Floyd county line.

"Seeing them gunned down is ... it's beyond horrific," said Tonya Conn with Dumas Rescue, an organization that had been caring for the animals the last five years. "These horses were scattered in various, various places, distances from each other so they had been shot, and they'd scattered then hunted and shot down."

A $500 reward is available for information about the incident.

Copyright 2019 WYMT via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Sickening!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5311 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I take it these were wild horses?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

That, I do not know, does it make a difference?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should not be hard to find the perpetrators. Of course, folks in Eastern Kentucky have quite a tradition of keeping secrets, so that may be a problem.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From a legal standpoint, it might.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
What the hell is wrong with people?!?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I've heard, these horses were dumped at a strip mine site by people who no longer wanted them.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I might consider that worse than shooting them.

quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:

From what I've heard, these horses were dumped at a strip mine site by people who no longer wanted them.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
From a legal standpoint, it might.

quote:
quote:

I understand what you are saying.

But would have this incident have been this much publicized, even if a property owner had shot the horses for being a nuisance?

That the local Sheriff has commented on it , without any reason for this to be justified.

Note: I posted this before reading about the horses being dumped at the strip mine. But either way, they should not have been shot in that manner.

美しい犬

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
What the hell is wrong with people?!?

There’s a lot of people who shouldn’t be sucking up air...people who do this kind of thing, fall into that category

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is where I really wish I were filthy rich. I'd offer up a $50,000 cash reward for anyone who could bring the perpetrator to the local sheriff's office. Physical condition optional.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It’s Floyd County. Things are.......different there.

This case will get closed, likely by KSP Post 9.

Floyd County is a whole different world.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37170 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida there have been at least two recent cases, that we know of, of horses being stolen from the owners farms and found slaughtered for their meat! The latest was worth $20,000. That really pisses me off!

If I had a ranch and horses and happened to catch one of those “attempts” at my place I’d go all cattle rustlin’ justice on them and shoot ‘em tween the eyes!

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It’s Floyd County. Things are.......different there.

This case will get closed, likely by KSP Post 9.

Floyd County is a whole different world.
That's the truth.. I spent a majority of my summers as a kid there. My mother is from Mud Creek,that's in Floyd County. My father met her while he was stationed there as a game warden in the 70's.

Posts: 349 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had a ranch and horses and happened to catch one of those “attempts” at my place I’d go all cattle rustlin’ justice on them and shoot ‘em tween the eyes!

That's the plan. I was out at 2:00 a.m. last week with a flashlight and a rifle when I heard tires crunching on the dirt road that passes our fields.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12919 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Actually, guys, the way to cure horse thieving is to hang um high.

My take on it is just some dirt bags out shooting. But its small communities that may or may not be tight knit. Everyone knows who's been going out shooting. Probably not that many places to buy ammo. From the news reports, always sketchy, is that they were killed with a small caliber rifle. I don't know what that means.

But if the sheriff and his posse have been covering the area, they've probably found the empties so they know what caliber was used. I sure hope the shooter didn't use a 22 rimfire.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note: I posted this before reading about the horses being dumped at the strip mine. But either way, they should not have been shot in that manner.

I think it makes a difference whether they were 'strays' or 'pets.' Somebody shooting a stray dog, for example, doesn't elicit the outrage I would feel if it were somebody's beloved pet.

Shooting the horses was wrong, no doubt, but there is a difference between shooting cared for horses with owners and shooting strays.

Aren't horses social animals who bond with their owners? If so (I don't pretend to know much about horses), I agree that just dumping and abandoning them was the real cruelty here. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

That's the plan. I was out at 2:00 a.m. last week with a flashlight and a rifle when I heard tires crunching on the dirt road that passes our fields.

Good Luck! I mean that sincerely! These bast@rds need to be put down. I’m sure Grady Judd is on the case but probably needs all the help he can get.

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
This shit used to happen where I lived in Idaho. People that couldn't afford horses and couldn't sell them would take them to public land in the middle of the night, shoot them, and leave the corpses to rot.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post