SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take care of your health guys
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take care of your health guys Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
I am a skinny 66 year old male non smoker , never had high blood pressure and a runner for many years. My only issue had been LDL cholesterol was a bit high and HDL was low total number was 190. I had started to have some PVC rhythm issues 3 weeks ago. Week before last I had taken a stress test and EKG all showed nothing abnormal. Apparently there was more going on. Last Thursday I had a heart attack and EMS took me to the ER and then straight to cath room where I had two stents put in. Doc said there was some heart muscle damage but expected healing and improvements in a few months. On several new meds and trying to adjust to them now. My take away is even if you seem healthy make sure you stay on top of things. God bless and don't ignore your health. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2776 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you caught it in time, before it got worse, Mike.

Q

Posts: 26472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Not at all trying to give you a hard time, but man, it seems like you were taking care of yourself and trying to stay on top of things. And you still had a heart attack.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you were able to get help quickly.

Posts: 3600 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are ok.

The older I get, the more vulnerable I feel, even though I do take care of myself.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
take care of yourself!!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad you will get better.

Sounds like you were doing the right things.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 year olds especially ,
It's very easy to get wrapped up in work and making money.

Pay attention .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Glad you are on the mend and it wasnt worse.

Thanks for the warning.

HK Ag

Posts: 3506 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Wow, glad to hear hear it sounds like damage was fairly minor and hoping you are going to mend well real soon.

My SIL passed in her early 50s due to massive heart attack and never listened to any of us pleading with her to get medical help when her cholesterol came back extremely high and she complained of other distressing symptoms.

I go to doctor regularly for tests and yearly MRI to closely monitor my health challenge and so far so good after a Y90 radioembolization procedure three years ago but I was told by nurses that a large percent just don't bother anymore even though they have a similar serious disease. Eek

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
After a certain age (I can't say what age that is) it's probably wise to start getting regular calcium score tests.

I've had several heart stress and heart echo tests since 1995--the latest just a couple years ago. Always came back "clean."

Due to a recent thread here on SF I just had a calcium score done a few weeks back. On my own initiative and dime. That led to a nuclear cardio stress test today. Depending upon the results of that, my cardiologist may wish to do a catheterization to take a closer look.

I've been doing High-Intensity Interval Training cardio, on-and-off, since about 2008 or so. Never any shortness of breath, pain, or discomfort.

One time, talking with my PCP at the time, he told me of a 35-year-old patient that played pick-up ice hockey three times a week. (For those who don't know: Ice hockey is probably the most cardio-intensive sport there is.) He turned out to have an 80% blockage of the LAD (Left Anterior Descending) artery. Aka: "The Widowmaker."

Glad you survived it, got2hav1! Hope you realize a full recovery.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Glad that you’re getting better. Maybe you ought to consider buying a Kardiamobile personal EKG monitor:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...300097794#6300097794

I’ve yet to see a result other than “Normal Sinus Rythm”, but I still take readings periodically.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Not at all trying to give you a hard time, but man, it seems like you were taking care of yourself and trying to stay on top of things. And you still had a heart attack.

R, I thought I was. One of the doctors told me I didn't fit the heart attack profile.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Glad that you’re getting better. Maybe you ought to consider buying a Kardiamobile personal EKG monitor:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...300097794#6300097794

Funny you should mention that. One of the doctors thought it was a good idea to get one. I bought one the week of the heart attack. I used it on the day of the heart attack. That was one of the reasons my doctor suggested I call EMS. Fortunately they were at my house in less than ten minutes and we live about 15 minutes from a large hospital with an excellent heart center.

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Good to hear you caught it in time, before it got worse, Mike.

Thanks Q

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Way to pay attention. Thank god you did.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Be carefull out there and be on the lookout for any changes in your health no matter how small they seem to be.......... years ago I know of a man (late 50"s age ) went for his yearly physical exam that would include a heart stress test... at completion was given a clean bill of health and told that he was as strong as a horse....... Walked out of dr"s office and while crossing street to get to his car that was in a parking lot across the street he dropped grave yard dead in the middle of the street........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2023 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
<snip>
Due to a recent thread here on SF I just had a calcium score done a few weeks back. On my own initiative and dime. That led to a nuclear cardio stress test today. Depending upon the results of that, my cardiologist may wish to do a catheterization to take a closer look.
<snip>

Here’s hoping that you get a good result ensigmatic. A catheterization sounds like a grim procedure.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Got2Have1 glad they caught it in time for you.

PipeSmoker Catheterizations aren't that bad. I've had 2. Best way to find out exactly what the problem is and where it is.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Got2Have1 glad they caught it in time for you.

PipeSmoker Catheterizations aren't that bad. I've had 2. Best way to find out exactly what the problem is and where it is.

After going through all of this I agree with the above. They went in through artery in my wrist so I have to be careful using that arm for a few weeks.