SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't have a mouse. I have a rat.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't have a mouse. I have a rat. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Thought I had a mouse. A week ago I noticed the bag of bird seed I had in the garage had been chewed open right at the floor. In 20 years, that has never happened.

I set 6 mouse traps and some poison bait stations. Except for some sprung traps with nothing in them, nothing. I'd clean up the seed, reset the traps, and it happened again. Then again. So I've been setting up my game camera to find out what's going on. Went out to check the traps today. Nothing. A few minutes later, my camera snapped this picture.

So, I've retired the mouse traps. I cleaned the garage. Made sure no seed on the floor. Put the remaining seed in 5 gallon sealed buckets. And ringed the garage with 8 large glue traps with sunflower seeds in the middle, 4 large rap traps baited with cheese and peanut butter, 2 rat stations near when I think he's coming down from the open attic above. And poison rat baits strategically placed in the attic.

It's war. I can deal with a mouse. Not having a rat. He's got to go.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I use the big plastic TomCat rat traps.

They work flawless.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34139 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Raccoons are bad at times. Rats the size of raccoons are worse.

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
And not one mention of a double barreled 12 gauge with one end of a string tied to the triggers, and the other end attached to a sticky trap.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

They work flawless.

I second that. I've caught 3 squirrels with them that were tearing the insulation off my truck's firewall. Also, I'd reconsider storing the seed in bags in your garage. Put them into a trash can or some other container that won't attract the rats. Think of the seed as bait -- so remove the bait.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a case of .358 Winchester. I think I can take it with that.

If this rat survives all the shit I've put out for him, I don't know what I'm going to do next.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

They work flawless.

I second that. I've caught 3 squirrels with them that were tearing the insulation off my truck's firewall. Also, I'd reconsider storing the seed in bags in your garage. Put them into a trash can or some other container that won't attract the rats. Think of the seed as bait -- so remove the bait.

And that's exactly what I am doing. 8 large Tomcats are out baited with seed.

As far as moving the seed, I will do that. But it's sealed in buckets now, and it wasn't before. I got complacent because I never had problems in all the years I've lived here. But you can't be complacent in an area with rats. I live near marshland and marinas. My cat used to bring rats home all the time, but I never had one at my house.

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
There’s never just one rat.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other strategy you might consider is to bait the traps but not set them for a couple of nights.

If you see the bait removed from the traps you know that the rat(s) are no longer "trap shy".

Then bait and set the traps as usual and hopefully that will do the job.

I hate rats.

Good Luck!

Posts: 2268 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
There’s never just one rat.

That's a fear of mine. Even if I kill one, all the hardware and poison will remain. I'm just hopeful there is just one in the garage since this just started happening.

posted Hide Post
I get Palm Rats every year, there are 46 palm trees and 3 live oaks on my property and another 8 palms on the other side of the fence. They have successfully eaten 2 Wiring harnesses. Honda and BMW.

Besides my Female Aussie (she killed 46 last year) I went to the DIY professional grade chemical insect store and bought the poison baits. I put 10 pieces on a wire and hang them on the trees on the other side of the fence so the dogs don’t eat one

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Rats. I worked for years as a electronic tech at large grain elevators across the country. Worked on weighing equipment and installing temp monitoring systems in the large grain silos. Preventive explosion system basically. Part of that required you to go into the tunnels underneath the silos to install thermocouples on the large pillow bearings that drove the conveyors. Those tunnels were dark, wet and full of rats. Big rats. These things feed on the best grain available their entire lives and there is a absolute endless supply available to them.

I got some rat stories that will curl you're toes.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe a larger version of this idea.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8090081974

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burn it down, start over.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2750 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes! I’m with wolfe

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
One other strategy you might consider is to bait the traps but not set them for a couple of nights.

If you see the bait removed from the traps you know that the rat(s) are no longer "trap shy".

Then bait and set the traps as usual and hopefully that will do the job.

I hate rats.

Good Luck!

This is great advice. Rats are very nervous about anything new in their environment. Also you must eliminate any competing food source or they will just ignore the traps or rodenticide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I made that mistake once.

Thought we had a mouse in our garage so I set out that sticky mouse trap paper.

Found the sticky paper with a 6” rat tail stuck to it with blood all over the garage.
The dang rat chewed his tail off to get away from the sticky paper.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid and lived in Tampa, we had grove rats...the whole neighborhood was an old orange grove that had been built in the 30s...everyone had orange trees in their backyards...those guys were fairly big.

Then I joined the USCG and saw some Norway rats along piers....

Then I went to GITMO. They have banana rats...jeebus!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years back when I stored a lot of grain in my barn I had rats, I would see them occasionally. I will give you a tip about setting rat traps. I learned this from experience. Secure the trap with a small chain of some sort. I lost two rat traps before I started doing that. Those buggers are tough. Use chain or metal wire as they can and will chew through fishing line..don't ask me how I know.

I would think the bucket trap I showed in another thread (linked above) would work OK for rats. I would raise the water level to six inches and keep the soap and anti-freeze.

Hey, you might even catch a mouse or two. Wink

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I feel for you Micropterus! Do I ever hate rats. You know I lived in my house more than 20 years a few mice here and there but no rats. But Dec was different, started seeing a Norway rat around outside, soon it was into my shop and it liked under the hood of my Corvette. I rtv silicone one of those TomCat bait blocks to the top of the battery. Next night half it was gone. 2nd night it was all gone thinking I got him. LOL... was I wrong it ate another one like it was a good warm up snack. It ate 4 of those TomCat bait blocks. It was still around my vette. Soon had traps all over the shop. 2 weeks I finally got him with a big rat size Kensizer Live Cage Trap with cardboard on the bottom and some crunchy peanut butter. That was one big ass rat. Did I say I hate rats.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post