SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you remember when cars had (I do)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remember when cars had (I do) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Fancy Cadillac had auto dimmer on dash.

Fancy still were the Cadillac with the auto-dimming headlights.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. oil filter element inside a canister
2. suicide rear doors
3. push button on dash to start

I learned to drive in a 1946 Desoto, made 4 years before I was born.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. oil filter element inside a canister
2. suicide rear doors
3. push button on dash to start

1 and 3 are common on cars today.

Posts: 27992 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a lot of that.

When I learned to drive, my folks had a 66 Bug, a 66 Chrysler, and a 55 Ford F100. The 55 Ford had many of those "features". The dimmer was in the floor, and though there was a separate starter button from the key, it was on the dash.

It had a steering wheel that seemed 3 feet in diameter, and you had to double clutch between first and second.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Need to get a dual point distributor since I have a high performance engine.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Need to get a dual point distributor since I have a high performance engine.

Yes. Dual points in Chrysler 300 cars. Hard to get at the rear of the engine. Dual 4bbl carbs too.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Gullwing hoods.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
6 cyl.

3 on the tree

still 6v w/ foot stomp starter

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I’ve had cars with all the OP features except a rumble seat. Great times in them!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My first vehicle was a 1928 Ford pickup. Had many of those items. Manual clutch, timing adjuster on the steering column. No spark plug "wires", instead flat copper strips that ran from the distributor to the spark plugs. Paid 75 bucks for that truck. Left it home when I went in the army. The numb nuts at "home" were too freaking lazy to drain the block and it froze and cracked the block. Don't know where it ended up, probably sold as scrap.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
How many of you characters have ever driven a car with a 'Spark Advance' lever on the steering column? Now we're getting back in time.... Smile

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
48 Jeepster - no roll up windows.
At 16 yo - it taught me a lot.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about a car, but as a young guy I had a Harley with spark on the left grip, springer front end, foot clutch and hand shifter on the left side of the tank. Still wish I had it now.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe anyone has mentioned overdrive, an automatically activated 4th gear for a manual 3-on-the-tree transmission. Also provided free-wheeling.

And “ankle straps”. That’s what we teenagers called the grab loops on each of the C pillars. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I remember all of these. I actually bought a set of Portawalls to put on my 1950 Mercury (belonged to my dad actually.)

The first car I purchased was a 1958 Edsel Pacer convertible. It had the push button auto trans. Still own it, wish it was in driving condition.

The oldest car I have ever driven is a 1927 Chevrolet Touring Car. I didn't own it, a friend did.

I'm 75.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I forgot one of my most used luxury items - pulling a slide to open a floor vent beside your feet.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I remember most of them. I bought my first car in 1959 (a used 1953 Ford coupe). My first new car was a 1960 Falcon.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember most of them (due to my father running his delivery pickups until they died) but I've never experienced a "tube" radios, non adjustable seats, nor rumble seats. I'm a little over 60.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How about a Hydramatic transmission with no provision for Park, had to set the hand brake everytime you parked the car, or Wonderbar Radio so you could change the channel with the press of a bar (search feature in my 54 Olds 98) or with the magical press of a button on the floorboard do the same, try oil bath air cleaners,

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I remember when the DeSotos had curved plastic "horns" behind the rear seat to blow the a/c forward and not in the passenger's head.

However, when the a/c began to ice over after about 40 minutes, it would throw small bits of ice all the way to the windshield.

The car was my grandfather's and the first car I road in that had a/c.

My '55 Chevy had the dimmer on the floor and my first Porsche 356 was 6 volt. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2276 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post