SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about wearing a Purple Heart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about wearing a Purple Heart Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I went to a funeral visitation recently -- the mother of one of Mrs' friends had passed. Mrs got together with her friends last night, and one of them was commenting on a family member's wearing of his grandfather's Purple Heart. Several of the ladies were quite upset about that, as it was not earned by the one who was wearing it.

The conversation then turned to something about "Obama made it so he could do that." Evidently there's been a rule change, allowing those who haven't earned one to wear one that was earned by a family member.

My question: Is this true? What's the real truth here, SF gurus?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I know of no such rule change.

And I don't think you should wear a medal someone else was given. Not even a family member.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
He was wearing an award that wasn't his? Really bad taste. Especially anyone who has seen Wedding Crashers.

As for legal, Stolen Valor laws were struck down by courts during the Zippy years, and some states have rewritten them. But unless he is doing something really stupid, like wearing it for a financial gain, not much can be done except let a few real veterans have a chat with him out back.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he self-identifies as a Purple Heart recipient.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It just proves that he's a douche, no ifs, ands or buts....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
The conversation then turned to something about "Obama made it so he could do that." Evidently there's been a rule change, allowing those who haven't earned one to wear one that was earned by a family member.

On both sides of the aisle, there are folks who read bullshit on the Internet and believe it.

Obama did this... Trump said that... In general, I don't believe anything I read online until I independently research and verify. As an example, the comment noted in the OP was a big red flag to me, and sure enough, spent a few minutes researching and found no such "change."

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the First Amendment allows people to wear unearned military honors. Military.com

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
And I don't think you should wear a medal someone else was given. Not even a family member.

THIS! If you didn't earn it don't marginalize the person who did by wearing their medal.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I get momss/dads/wives who are obviously wearing Marine Corps gear because their kid/husband is/was in the Corps.

I'm not quite so tolerant of twenty/thirty-somethings sporting gear at the gym, and when asked tell me they are supporting their brother/buddy/etc.

Fuck that, you look like someone trying to look like a Marine, and that's not cool.

Wear a Purple Heart that you did not earn?

Nope. Just nope.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
They MAY be talking about a device that family members can now wear to indicate their loved one died in service. I know a USAF Captain who wears this pin - in uniform - because her husband was killed by an IED attack in A-stan.

But NOTHING justifies wearing a purple heart one didn't earn. That is just stolen valor, regardless of the person's intentions. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That pin I was referring above is the Gold Star Pin (they came out with it after I retired, so I'm not 100% up to date on the regs anymore).

http://www.military.com/benefi...ar-lapel-button.html

quote:
If you have a family member who lost their life while in combat you may be entitled to the "Gold Star Lapel Pin ".

Public Law 534 - 89th Congress, directs the design and distribution of a lapel button, to the known as the "Gold Star Lapel Pin," to identify widows, parents and next of kin of members of the Armed Forces of the United States who lost their lives:
1.During World War I, April 6, 1917 to March 3, 1921;
2.During World War II, September 8, 1939 to July 25, 1947;
3.During any subsequent period of armed hostilities in which the United States was engaged before July 1, 1958 (United Nations action in Korea, June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954);
4.After June 30, 1958 •while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
•while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force;
•while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict in which the United States is not a belligerent party against an opposing armed force.*

There are 2 different pins. Which one you are awarded depends on the circumstances of your loved one's death.

The following relatives of the deceased are entitled to one or the other of the pins below:
•Widow/Widower
•Mother/Father
•Stepmother/father
•Adoptive Mother/father
•Foster mother/father in loco parentis
•Son/Daughter
•Stepson/daughter
•Son/daughter by adoption
•Brother/Sister
•Half brother/sister.

Gold Star Lapel Pin

This pin is awarded only to the relatives of those killed in specific conflicts listed in the "Information" section on the back of DD Form 3. If your loved one was killed during the time period of one of these conflicts, but not in the official area of the conflict you will receive the Next of Kin Lapel Pin. For example, if, during Operation Iraqi Freedom, a service member was assigned to a unit in Germany and was killed in a training accident, you would not be entitled to the Gold Star Lapel Pin.

Next of Kin Lapel Pin

The Lapel Button, Next of Kin of Deceased Personnel, is authorized for issue retroactive to March 29, 1973. If you are a relative listed above and your loved one died while on active duty or while assigned to an Army Reserve or Army National Guard unit in a drill status, but under circumstances that do not qualify you for the Gold Star Lapel Pin, you should be entitled to the Next of Kin Lapel Pin.

You may request issue of the pin by writing to the National Personnel Records Center at:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Telephone: 314-801-0800
Fax: 314-801-9195
E-mail: MPR.center@nara.gov

Furnish the name, grade, SSN, and date of death of the deceased soldier. The names and relationships of the next of kin must also be provided.

Please note the following:

If your loved one is recently deceased and you know your casualty officer, he should be able to help you get the pin.

If you are mailing in DD Form 3, include a copy of DD-1300, Report of Casualty. This is the military equivalent of a death certificate. Even though this is not mentioned on the DD-3 instructions, you will likely be rejected for "insufficient proof" if you don't include it.

Again, NOTHING I know of authorizes anybody but the awardees to wear any medals, including the Purple Heart.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the First Amendment allows people to wear unearned military honors. Military.com

This was the Swisher case. In 2005 he testified at a trial wearing a Purple Heart. The looney left in a convoluted ruling no held that forbidding the wear of the medal regulated free speech.
Another swamp the President needs to drain.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/U...f-you-didn-t-earn-it

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's the persons kid, like a 5 year old, I'm ok with it.

Adult? Hell no!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I appreciate your input. I figure it's in bad taste at least.

IMO: Grandfather's medal? Treasure it. Display it at home. Don't wear it around. But that's just my opinion.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in good taste to wear it.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
If it's the persons kid, like a 5 year old, I'm ok with it.

Adult? Hell no!

Yep. Kid or spouse on the day of the funeral of the recipient, I'm fine with it. Other than that it goes on the mantle or in the safety deposit box.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Perhaps he self-identifies as a Purple Heart recipient.

There's a way to make that happen...

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Need a lot more context on who was wearing it and why before I'm willing to judge one way or another.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thanks, all. I appreciate your input. I figure it's in bad taste at least.

IMO: Grandfather's medal? Treasure it. Display it at home. Don't wear it around. But that's just my opinion.
Same feelings as I about this. Those Purple Heart stamps at the Post Office, I had a Postal employee stick one on my envelope, upside down. I got a new envelope and placed my own stamp correct orientation. One would think a Government worker would know how to place this stamp.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post