SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto speakers - old vs new
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto speakers - old vs new Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm doing some extensive wiring in my Motorhome.
I had to remove a stereo speaker to run some wires I automatically thought I would replace the 4 speakers with something new.
The speakers were installed around 1995. They are Sony 2 way, 120w rated, 30w continuous,4ohm, Strontium magnet, 6 1/2", XS6024MK2 is the model.

When I looked at the speaker I saw Sony, Made in Japan.
I immediately thought the old speakers might be as good as a new replacement probably made in China.
They still sounded fine.

I will be replacing the dash head unit.

The coach has a Bose system (120v) installed for the same area for a 5-1 home theater sound, this is for the dash 12v system only.

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I say keep them if the surrounds are intact and they still sound good. I'd rather spend a little on some amplification/power first. What do you listen to and how loud do you like it?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Regardless of where they were made old speakers can work fine for a long time.
Generally the surround deteriorates but if it is intact and the coil itself hasn't been overheated/blown (much less likely) then no reason to replace.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I say keep them if the surrounds are intact and they still sound good. I'd rather spend a little on some amplification/power first. What do you listen to and how loud do you like it?

I listen to classic rock and usually have the volume turned to 11.

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post