SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sen. Durbin Urges Trump to Reduce ‘Shootings and Homicides’ in Chicago by Increasing Federal Spending
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sen. Durbin Urges Trump to Reduce ‘Shootings and Homicides’ in Chicago by Increasing Federal Spending Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Sen. Durbin Urges Trump to Reduce ‘Shootings and Homicides’ in Chicago by Increasing Federal Spending

(CNSNews.com) - Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D.-Ill.) is urging President Donald Trump to help reduce “shootings and homicides” in Chicago by increasing federal investment in housing, economic development, job training, education, public health and “community policing.”

“As you prepare your Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Request, I urge you to use this budget framework as an opportunity to support efforts to help reduce gun violence in Chicago, rather than scapegoating the city’s challenges to promote ideological political agendas,” Durbin told Trump in a letter sent on Dec. 13.

“I urge you to prioritize federal support and resources that will help Chicago reduce violence by expanding economic opportunities and addressing health and education disparities in the hardest-hit communities,” Durbin said.

“The number of shootings and homicides that Chicago continues to experience is tragic and unacceptable,” Durbin told Trump.

“But while it may be easy to tweet about the problem, generating real and measurable solutions to help Chicago reduce gun violence requires more than 140 characters,” Durbin said. “Reducing violence in Chicago requires a comprehensive approach involving partnerships with local education and health officials, law enforcement, community stakeholders, and the federal government.

“Through sustained and targeted investment of federal funding in underserved communities, the federal government can play an integral role in addressing the economic and societal issues that contribute to violence,” Durbin said.

The senator went on to explain how increased federal investment in housing would help reduce violence in Chicago.

“Violence in Chicago is often located in communities with higher unemployment and years of neglect and disinvestment,” said Durbin. “Two of the most important ways the federal government can help break the cycle of violence and provide stability in these neighborhoods is by ensuring access to safe, affordable housing and encouraging economic and community development.”

Here is the full text of Sen. Durbin’s letter to President Trump:

Dear President Trump,

As you prepare your Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Request, I urge you to use this budget framework as an opportunity to support efforts to help reduce gun violence in Chicago, rather than scapegoating the city’s challenges to promote ideological political agendas. I urge you to prioritize federal support and resources that will help Chicago reduce violence by expanding economic opportunities and addressing health and education disparities in the hardest-hit communities.

The number of shootings and homicides that Chicago continues to experience is tragic and unacceptable. But while it may be easy to tweet about the problem, generating real and measurable solutions to help Chicago reduce gun violence requires more than 140 characters. Reducing violence in Chicago requires a comprehensive approach involving partnerships with local education and health officials, law enforcement, community stakeholders, and the federal government. Through sustained and targeted investment of federal funding in underserved communities, the federal government can play an integral role in addressing the economic and societal issues that contribute to violence.

Housing and Economic Development

Violence in Chicago is often located in communities with higher unemployment and years of neglect and disinvestment. Two of the most important ways the federal government can help break the cycle of violence and provide stability in these neighborhoods is by ensuring access to safe, affordable housing and encouraging economic and community development. Increasing funding for the HOME Investment Partnerships Program—the largest federal block grant designed exclusively to create affordable housing for low-income households—will help provide housing in areas where there is access to quality education and jobs. In 2016, the HOME program was projected to provide more than 8,000 low-income and moderate-income families in Chicago with affordable housing. Further investment in programs like the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative and Community Development Block Grants can help revitalize neighborhoods, attracting businesses and creating much needed jobs. Providing reliable access to job opportunities is also crucial, which is why more federal funding for programs like Core Capacity Grants is needed to modernize and expand public transportation.

Job Opportunities

When young people are chronically unemployed, it increases the likelihood that they will become involved in crime. I urge you to prioritize important youth mentoring and job training programs at the U.S. Departments of Labor, Justice, and Education that pursue innovative strategies for connecting young people to career pathways. The Department of Labor’s 2016 Summer Jobs and Beyond Grant Program helped Chicago expand its summer employment program and provide extended work opportunities for 300 at-risk youth. Increasing funding for job training, including youth programs under Title I of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, will prepare more young adults to successfully transition into the workforce. Importantly, youth employment programs in Chicago also have been found to dramatically reduce violent crime arrests. I also urge you to strengthen mentoring and violence prevention initiatives at the Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention and boost funding for recidivism reduction programs under the federal Second Chance Act.

Education

Quality education is the cornerstone of economic opportunity, and it is vital to start early to be cost-effective and have the most impact. I urge you to make strong federal investments in high-quality early childhood education, such as the Child Care and Development Block Grant, Head Start, Early Head Start, IDEA Part B-619 and Part C, and the Preschool Development Grant Birth Through Five. These core programs support continuous access to high-quality early childhood education from birth through age five that prepares at-risk children with a strong foundation—through academic, physical, cognitive, and social-emotional development—to succeed in school and life. Knowing their child is safe and learning in a high-quality early learning program also allows parents to complete their higher education and thrive in the workforce. In 2014, these programs served over 630,000 Illinois children under age six and employed more than 69,000 people in full-time jobs.

I also urge you to support resources for Chicago’s highest-need K-12 students through expanded investments in Titles I and IV of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Title I provides federal resources to schools with high concentrations of students in poverty, who are more likely to suffer toxic stress including from violence, racial discrimination, family separation, and food insecurity. Title IV provides resources to ensure all students are safe, healthy, and have access to a holistic well-rounded education, which includes trauma-informed classroom management, school-based mental health programs, mentoring and school counseling, and computer science. Increasing the investment in mentorship programs under ESEA and the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act would broaden the support system for at-risk students to help them successfully transition to high school, college, and the workforce. Together, more resources for these programs will equip students, families, and communities with the necessary tools to heal from trauma and break the cycle of violence.

Public Health

Combating Chicago’s community violence is not just an economic or education issue—it is also a serious public health matter. One of the best ways to tackle this crisis is by supporting strong families, building environments that promote health, and starting early to prevent and mitigate the effects of experiencing trauma. In order to address these social determinants of health, I urge you to provide in your budget tools for communities to promote health through the Administration for Children & Families (ACF), including robust funding for Community and Social Service Block Grants. Harmful childhood environments can shape lifelong health and behaviors, which is why I also urge you to invest in maternal and child health promotion programs at the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), including providing strong funding for the Maternal & Child Health Block Grant. I urge you to increase support for mental health and substance use disorder prevention and treatment programs at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), including the National Child Traumatic Stress Initiative, Project AWARE, and the new Interagency Task Force on Trauma-Informed Care. In addition, improving data collection and research by supporting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program and Youth Violence Prevention Program is vital to understanding how best to target our efforts.

Community Policing

And finally, we cannot reduce violence in Chicago unless we have an effective community policing strategy where law enforcement officers are properly trained and resourced, where there is a relationship of trust and cooperation between law enforcement and the communities they serve, and where we close gaps in our gun laws that make it easy for dangerous people to get their hands on guns. For too long your administration has attempted to use federal law enforcement grant funding as a bargaining chip in an effort to force unrelated policy changes. These attempts have repeatedly been rejected by federal courts, and they must stop. It is time for your administration to provide Chicago with the law enforcement funding that the City is owed under formulas set by Congress. Further, I urge your administration to stop standing in the way of critical policing reforms and gun safety reforms that enjoy broad support and that would help enhance community policing and public safety.

The President’s Budget Request is an important reflection of the Administration’s priorities and the direction that the President hopes to take the country. You have routinely cited the tragedy of gun violence in Chicago during your tweets and public comments, but now is the time for action. I urge you to use your Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Request to reflect support for real solutions to this urgent problem by increasing investment in federal programs that will help stop violence, save lives, and lift people out of poverty. Thank you for your consideration of this important request.

Sincerely,
Dick Durbin

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/a...nd-homicides-chicago

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24154 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Dear President Trump,

Our decades of failed liberal policies have turned Chicago into a cesspool of crime that is just short of a war zone. Please provide millions in Federal dollar to help. Be assured none of it will improve the situation 1% but we will now have you to blame.

Thank you if you're gullible enough to fall for this.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37991 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Question. Why is it Trump's (or our) responsibility to fix the problems in Chicago? Isn't that the city of Chicago's and/or the state of Illinois' problem? State sovereignty and all that. Hey Dickey, tend to your own damn house pal! Its not our job.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
"Violence in Chicago is often located in communities with higher unemployment and years of neglect and disinvestment."

Yeah? So where is little Dick investing HIS money?

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Dear Sen. Durbin (Little Dick):

I have read your letter and decided that I can, in fact, solve your problem. I'll start building a wall around Crook County as soon as you vote me the money for my Mexico wall, and call in the National Guard to enforce the law.

Kiss my ass,

The Donald"

On a lighter note, I remember the NG patrolling the West Side in the summer of 1966 or 1967. I saw them in Jeeps, four soldiers per vehicle, with a Ma Deuce mounted between the seats.

Fond memories... Smile

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9164 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Perhaps enforcing the current laws to reduce violent behavior. How is 5 months a fair sentence for a murderer? There are thousands of cases that offenders that have committed various violent crimes that go unpunished. How about stop spending money that we don't have? When the Cook county board approved the soda tax, they over-estimated what the tax would bring in and spent it before the tax was even collected. This has been going on for decades. There hasn't been a conservative voice in Chicago for over 90 years. I think it's safe to say that Democratic policy has failed.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Dear President Trump,

Our decades of failed liberal policies have turned Chicago into a cesspool of crime that is just short of a war zone. Please provide millions in Federal dollar to help. Be assured none of it will improve the situation 1% but we will now have you to blame.

Thank you if you're gullible enough to fall for this.

Spot on.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This is the commies' response for every single failed program/policy that they have had for the past 50 years.

Throw more money at it.

And, when that never works, their excuse is that they needed even more money.

Not only no, but fuck no.

Somebody needs to finally put their foot down.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
someone needs to dick Durbin before Durbin dicks us

again

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOTHING in Chicago will change until there is a complete change in the political structure in
Illinois and Chicago and Cook County in particular. Trump could send every federal dollar in the budget to Chicago and these nitwits in charge will stay on the same path they have been on for decades. There has to be a revolution here. Anything short of that will result in failure.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the revolution is simple

just target the politicians if you want change

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
This is the commies' response for every single failed program/policy that they have had for the past 50 years.

Throw more money at it.

And, when that never works, their excuse is that they needed even more money.

Not only no, but fuck no.

Somebody needs to finally put their foot down.

No... Not put his foot down. Put it up... Someone's ass

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I wonder if old Dick ever wrote a letter to Obama urging him to invest more money. I mean an awesome, caring, liberal genius from Chicago was president for eight years. How did Chicago's problems not get fixed then?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3542 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the revolution is simple

I hope that that statement is applied literally!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about that spending take the form of the feds prosecuting the shooters and gangsters? CPD knows who they are and where they stay but has their hands tied by the corrupt poverty pimps. Let the feds haul them off, ring em up, and cashier them to the nearest federal pokey. Put those mandatory minimums to work.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the revolution is simple

I hope that that statement is applied literally!

every problem we face as a nation is essentially self-inflicted by politicians

if we want a better country we need better politicians

Durbin is the cause of the problems, not the solution

he just doesn't realize it yet, or maybe he does

as long as the socialists are left in charge of Illinois, it will never get better

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The answer to every Leftist is more taxes and less liberty.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29720 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Durbin has no clue how to fix ANYTHING, let alone the problems in Chicago. He is second to Schumer in cluelessness and dishonesty.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
He really showed he was interested in working with Trump by including that Twitter/140 characters business.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
How about that spending take the form of the feds prosecuting the shooters and gangsters? CPD knows who they are and where they stay but has their hands tied by the corrupt poverty pimps. Let the feds haul them off, ring em up, and cashier them to the nearest federal pokey. Put those mandatory minimums to work.

Then they would be whining and sniveling for more more money to provide better facilities for the ones they throw in jail! Better beds, food, clothing, free legal assistance, and free weekend hookers and blow.

IMO, the answer is simple. Those that are caught, tried and convicted of murder, rape get the fucking needle! Or, perhaps a .22 round to the back of the head as they are walked out of court, headed to prison.

For the lesser crimes, chain gangs! Lots of good work could be done by those and one helluva lot cheaper than the corruption involved in contracting it done.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post