SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about beer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about beer Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yuengling lager, no question.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think ultimately big corporations are the problem when it comes to woke politics. They by and large are helping to finance the whole agenda. I pointed out to my leftist brother that democrats/liberals have just about every major corporation bending the knee to their politics. To my shock he didn’t argue with me and agreed it was a problem. Eek

I recommend investigating what kind of local beers are brewed in your neck of the woods and supporting the local breweries who make beer you enjoy. A small company (especially right now) is more focused on survival and making a product than using their massive profit to push a political agenda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yuengling, America's Oldest Brewery.

I like beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow
I like beer. It helps me unwind and sometimes it makes me feel mellow (Makes him feel mellow)
Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer
(He likes beer)
(Tom T Hall)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
The one I go out of my way to avoid is ‘spotted Cow’ & anything from their brewery in New Glarus, WI.

The owner is nutty left. It’s not even that good of beer.

Whataya talkin about? We love Spotted Cow. Its the best. I go up north just to buy it by the case. The family in Chicago love it. And their wheat beer is out of this world. But the owner is nutty Left. Sometimes you have to look the other way.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yuengling is always on tap at my house except when I misjudge what is remaining in the keg. I keep cans along side the keg to hold me until the new keg is available.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
OMG, beer is not a "cause." Beer is beer! If you life is that consumed by politics, maybe you should switch to medical marijuana and chill.

OK, but, how do I ensure my pot dealers politics align with mine?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Homebrew

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I never liked beer but I got into brewing it years back because the science is cool. Turns out that I actually liked the stuff I made. It's not hard. I haven't done it since around 1999 and gave away a lot of the equipment but I highly suggest everyone make a batch or two.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I never liked beer but I got into brewing it years back because the science is cool. Turns out that I actually liked the stuff I made. It's not hard. I haven't done it since around 1999 and gave away a lot of the equipment but I highly suggest everyone make a batch or two.

I was thinking about it until a nephew got into brewing.

I spent 5 or 6 years trying everything he made and they all had one thing in common: They sucked.

So, since it was a lot of work for him and would also be for me and good beer is cheap, I buy commercial stuff.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Another vote to not politicize of all things beer.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly the same for me. I don't drink much but really enjoy making it. Everything I've made has been far better than most store bought beer to my tastes.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
quote:

Exactly the same for me. I don't drink much but really enjoy making it. Everything I've made has been far better than most store bought beer to my tastes.

I have a Maibock lagering in the frig right now. We'll see how this one turns out. I bought equipment that controls fermentation temperature that promotes yeast health, and for the first time I did a proper diacetyl rest. It'll be two months more before I find out.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Pour it into a pilsner glass - and admire the color and taste.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Shiner Bock, Shiner Texas.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

I've been drinking Yuengling Lager for over 30 years.

I split my time between the Traditional Lager and Golden Pilsner. I've tried the Black & Tan and the Light, and they aren't bad. It is only priced about 10% higher than the "cheap suds" but is much better than any of them. Politically, they endorsed Donald Trump in 2016, gave the unions the boot (both of which earned them apparently unsuccessful boycotts) and have lobbied to make PA a right-to-work state. (According to Wikipedia.) A win-win situation.

I don't know that Yeungling is available in the OP's listed location of NC. Maybe it's time for a road trip. Big Grin

they made a Chesterfield Ale for a time (may still do) that was about the best they ever made

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I was thinking about it until a nephew got into brewing.

I spent 5 or 6 years trying everything he made and they all had one thing in common: They sucked.

So, since it was a lot of work for him and would also be for me and good beer is cheap, I buy commercial stuff.

To be blunt he sucked then, poor attention to detail (and likely sanitation!). I wouldn’t try his handloads either.

Brewing good beer is not hard, brewing “great” beer consistently would be. My typical batch is as good as a typical micro brew. Occasionally they are “meh” but that is usually when I’m experimenting with odd ingredients. I have my share of really good ones as well, nothing Id consider world class though.

The things that ensure good beer really don’t take extra time: decent recipe, healthy yeast and pitch the right amount, proper fermentation temperature and...sanitation!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I DO NOT WANT MY BEER POLITICIZED. Or my whiskey. Or my coffee. Or any other damn product I buy. I'm sick of this crap of politicizing everything
+1,000. Amen.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

I've been drinking Yuengling Lager for over 30 years.

I split my time between the Traditional Lager and Golden Pilsner. I've tried the Black & Tan and the Light, and they aren't bad. It is only priced about 10% higher than the "cheap suds" but is much better than any of them. Politically, they endorsed Donald Trump in 2016, gave the unions the boot (both of which earned them apparently unsuccessful boycotts) and have lobbied to make PA a right-to-work state. (According to Wikipedia.) A win-win situation.

I don't know that Yeungling is available in the OP's listed location of NC. Maybe it's time for a road trip. Big Grin

Did any of you guys try the Hershey's Porter that Yuengling released late last year? It was really good.

My parents moved a few miles from Yuengling in 1985 and dad introduced me to it the following year. It has been my go to beer ever since. I used to have to bring home a few cases when i would visit them before they expanded their market.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's very good.
I have taken Traditional Lager to my brother in law in the UK, and to my son in law in Canada, both beer connoisseurs. Both claim the lager as an exceptionally good beer and until the wuflu take Yeungling to Canada twice a year...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Another vote to not politicize of all things beer.

In a perfect world. Deschutes makes one of my favorite IPAs but they had to announce their wokeness. Thanks for nothing Deschutes. I'm not the one politicizing it. I'm just reacting to a question no one asked when these companies keep announcing how retarded they are. Retarded being a description of their logic and thinking.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post