SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The crossing guards on drawbridges should not be considered optional - Wisconsin bicyclist falls into gap on lift bridge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The crossing guards on drawbridges should not be considered optional - Wisconsin bicyclist falls into gap on lift bridge Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.wfmynews2.com/arti...bridge/507-574702898

Video shows Wisconsin bicyclist falling into gap on lift bridge

While the bridge was opening up to let boat traffic through on the Fourth of July, a bicyclist ignored the warning gates and found herself in a very perilous situation.

MENASHA, Wisconsin — The video of a 37-year-old Wisconsin woman riding her bike into the open span on the Racine Street bridge on the Fourth of July is making national headlines.

The video shows warning gates going down to stop traffic from driving across the Racine Street Bridge. The bridge was being opened to let boat traffic from the fireworks show pass through.

The woman rides through the open gap between the warning gates, almost crashing, before falling into the opening bridge gap.

After a short time bystanders got out of their cars and rushed to help the woman out of the opening.

The bridge operator was made aware of the incident and did not move the bridge span until everyone was off of the bridge, the Menasha Police Department said.

The woman was taken to a local hospital and treated primarily for facial injuries, police said.

The video is being shared on media sites across the country.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Alcohol related??? Come on.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
No longer 'optional'???

While we're at it, maybe we could pass a law to eliminate stupidity too.

That would solve SO many more problems.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Guess they forgot to get her permission to raise the deck?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8138 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this the same woman who flipped off the Trump motorcade? Slow learner.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
What a dumb ass. Apparently stupid can be painful sometimes.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm gonna have to throw a virtual spectator flag at this one. There is zero chance anybody could discern from JALLEN's post WTH it was about, and if one should be dropped as duplicate, regardless of time, it is the vaguely titled one.

IMNSHOPIBASD

Anybody dumb enough to rider AROUND that onto a lifting bridge should fall in for the good of us all.

Failing that, if I'm assisting this dunderhead, I'm surely pulling her stoopid ass more than 3" away from the edge.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I guess we need 24 hour guards at railroad crossings, too.Stupid is as stupid does.

I do not know how I am going to die. I can promise, however, it won't be at a railroad or drawbridge crossing. Dittos for getting run over by a train while walking.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

The title of that thread violates the current sigforum policy against vague, ambiguous thread titles. Cudos to BamaJeepster for a thread title that actually tells people what the thread is about.

My kids just had me blow up a giant beach ball. I warned them it's a windy day and make sure the wind was on shore before taking the ball to the beach. It took all of 20 seconds and the ball is on its way to Canada. I pray my kids learn from this and don't attempt to ride across open draw bridges when they are 37 years old.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

I'm gonna have to throw a virtual spectator flag at this one. There is zero chance anybody could discern from JALLEN's post WTH it was about, and if one should be dropped as duplicate, regardless of time, it is the vaguely titled one.

Yeah, agreed. “Assumption of the risk” might say it all to some folks, but would probably be best served as commentary within the actual thread and not as the title.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This illustrates how two people, of different backgrounds, can come away with different takes on the same events.

Bamajeepster came across the news story and reacted to it as such. I read only the commentary by Professor Turley from his website, which focused on assumption of the risk, a prominent issue in legal matters. Turley points out how this is a perfect illustration of that. That was the key element of the subject to me.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
While the bridge was opening up to let boat traffic through on the Fourth of July, a bicyclist ignored the warning gates and found herself in a very

They don't need a crossing guard. She needs a helmet and a leash.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess she wasn't on a "mission from God".

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, like the Thread I posted, Do Something Stupid, pay for it.
Why in heavens name would you ignore the gates? In a hurry?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, do you suppose she will sue?

Down the road a stop sign was not enough, they had to put flashing red lights on the sign too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Failed suicide? She actually hit the right side barrier.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
That was a made-for Benny Hill moment if I’ve ever seen one.

All over the world there’s bags of hammers that feel better about themselves today.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberal area of the State, so I'm sure it was the bridge's fault.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I really have to wonder if she was somehow seriously just sober enough to not fall over while riding. Maybe tripping balls on some killer acid or something. I mean, what was her plan? She knew the bridge was going up, and she clearly wasn't trying to achieve launch velocity, or even mount the gap.

I don't know why I'm wrestling with the proposition that some people are just this fucking stupid, but I guess I am.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post