SIGforum
Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4070010344

June 12, 2018, 10:23 PM
StorminNormin
Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations
I have had McAfee Virus Total Protection for probably a decade. I pay $99 to cover 3 devices per year. So far I have never had any viruses....knocking on wood very hard. I am very diligent with deleting email that looks strange or not clicking on strange links.

My annual renewal is about to expire with McAfee and I am deciding whether to stay with them or decide if there is something better out there.

So what say you? Is there a better anti-virus software out there or should I stick with what I have? I do not mind paying $99 a year for 3 devices. I just want the best protection.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
June 12, 2018, 10:28 PM
mcrimm
I run Webroot on both my PC and my MacBook. It seems to go on sale in late summer. I guess I’ve run it for 4 years without issue.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 12, 2018, 10:42 PM
rusbro
Your ISP may provide free antivirus. For example, I get McAfee from AT&T.

On the PC I use for more questionable surfing, I also run Malwarebytes.
June 12, 2018, 11:37 PM
Bassamatic
We pretty much always use Avast (free version). Does the job very well. We also run Malwarebytes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
June 13, 2018, 12:05 AM
Rey HRH
When I asked here early this year, I got many recommendations. I ended up with bitdefender for their low impact, multiple devices including phones, and good rating with viruses.

Someone said just use Windows Defender but in the interim that I used it, I ended up with Malware.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
June 13, 2018, 01:21 AM
Chowser
I’ve been using Avast free for years with no issues. On my newer Win10 machines I just use the built in Windows Defenser. No viruses. Even when I try to purposely infect it, it sees it and stops it.

Not minority enough!
June 13, 2018, 04:54 AM
Anush
I use Kaspersky, Less than $50 for 5 Devices. Found a virus embedded in photos that crashed my wife's bios that Norton did not find. What better antivirus than Russian! The only risk is Russians knowing what you are doing.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
June 13, 2018, 06:39 AM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We pretty much always use Avast (free version). Does the job very well. We also run Malwarebytes.

Same, same.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

June 13, 2018, 06:45 AM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

A also have AT&T for my ISP. How do you go about getting McAfee for free from them?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
June 13, 2018, 07:35 AM
0-0
I run Avast free on my computers and SuperAntispyware instead of Malwarebytes.
Always keep in mind a second opinion. I use AdwareCleaner every now and then.
Run CCleaner on a regular basis to keep my system clean of temporary files and check my registry 's health. Found Privazer free is safe to use and does take care of my privacyin the surface.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
June 13, 2018, 08:15 AM
smschulz
Malware Bytes
June 13, 2018, 09:14 AM
1967Goat
I run Avast. After the free period I sign up and pay for the 2 year plan. I consider anti-virus a valuable service and someone has to pay for it as the people who code it don't work for free. I think it's around $20 per year.

I would also highly recommend not doing your web surfing with an Admin userid. That's just asking for trouble (been there, done that). Have an admin ID, then at least 1 non-privileged ID for family members. Since I stopped using an admin ID for web surfing we have not had a virus. I don't give my wife the password. When she asks me for the PW I go to the computer to see what in the heck she's doing. Before we had non-admin userids she installed a virus. Seems FedEx had her install a program so she could track a package. Yes, it was a virus, and not from FedEx. Roll Eyes
June 13, 2018, 09:34 AM
rusbro
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

A also have AT&T for my ISP. How do you go about getting McAfee for free from them?

This page will get you there: https://www.att.com/esupport/a...d-internet/KM1010110
June 13, 2018, 10:14 AM
henryaz
When I used to use Windows (and DOS), I always used F-Prot for anti-virus. Their original version was released in 1989. It is a strong engine and uses a low amount of computer resources. Definitions are updated very frequently, sometimes more than one in a day, when necessary.
June 13, 2018, 10:29 AM
saigonsmuggler
All of my ISPs (AT&T and Time Warner Cable/Spectrum) provide free McAfee for all home computers. It has been like this for years.
June 13, 2018, 10:34 AM
lkdr1989
I've been using ESET NOD32 for years.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
June 13, 2018, 10:39 AM
dsiets
I have comcast and they provide Norton. Though I only use it on one computer.
June 13, 2018, 11:27 AM
BBMW
I've been running Avast for years with no problems.
June 13, 2018, 11:33 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Malware Bytes

I use only Malwarebytes too. The free version which doesn’t provide real time protection (and consequently doesn’t suck CPU cycles). But I physically disconnect from the Internet and run a Malwarebytes scan (takes 40 seconds) prior to my daily backup, so I know that all of my backups are clean.

Serious about crackers
June 13, 2018, 12:45 PM
Crom
Probably my own ignorance, but I tried AVAST Free version and it seemed to be constantly alerting me to things that only the paid version could fix. I didn't really know if it was actually blocking the viruses with the free version, or just "Alerting me" that they were there.
Eventually I uninstalled it.
Maybe I just need to quit being so cheap and get the paid version ? (I am already also using Malwarebytes Premium)

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."