SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3K mile oil change
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3K mile oil change Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Unless you're racing on a track or in the dirt, 3000 mile oil changes, based on the current techology of motor oils, particularly the better synthetics, are assinine. No kidding. But if you enjoy wasting money on something that doesn't actually help your engine in any way, go ahead. It's just money and more spilled oil on your driveway. The old 3000 mile rule is the new 5000 mile rule, and in most cases, actually the new 7000 mile rule except in extreme climates or serious towing.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow what the owners manual says. The one written by the engineers that designed your car and engine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Follow what the owners manual says. The one written by the engineers that designed your car and engine.

Yep, there is no way to stop the wives tales. You never even bothered watching the video posted, did you?

Let me explain again as I did in other threads on this topic. I pay about $45 for an oil change, Costco sells synthetic oil pretty cheaply. I change every 3000 on both vehicles, $45 is chump change (btw, watch that video that was posted). New oil is always a benefit over old oil. Oil does not "go bad", it gets contaminated and the additives deplete. New oil s always better than used oil.

Per a local radio show in Houston hosted by 3 different successful auto shop owners. Car manufacturers design their oil change and maintenance intervals to make the original buyer happy. I forget the number, but the average car owner only keeps their vehicle a couple years and trades it in. Those maintenance intervals are designed to make that new car buyer happy so they will buy another one. The less they spend the more an image of reliability sticks in their head and the more apt they will buy another one. Car manufacturers do not worry about the second and third owners (once again, see that video and that mechanic confirms this with that Toyota where the doctor stuck to manufacturers intervals. BTW, he stuck to what Toyota stated and he is paying for a new engine. Think about that a second).

Stop saying to trust the engineers, they are not what drives advertising for auto makers and they do not set maintenance intervals. This is not the 60's where the told you how to adjust your valves in the owners manual.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Yep, there is no way to stop the wives tales. You never even bothered watching the video posted, did you?

Let me explain again as I did in other threads on this topic. I pay about $45 for an oil change, Costco sells synthetic oil pretty cheaply. I change every 3000 on both vehicles, $45 is chump change (btw, watch that video that was posted). New oil is always a benefit over old oil. Oil does not "go bad", it gets contaminated and the additives deplete. New oil s always better than used oil.

Per a local radio show in Houston hosted by 3 different successful auto shop owners. Car manufacturers design their oil change and maintenance intervals to make the original buyer happy. I forget the number, but the average car owner only keeps their vehicle a couple years and trades it in. Those maintenance intervals are designed to make that new car buyer happy so they will buy another one. The less they spend the more an image of reliability sticks in their head and the more apt they will buy another one. Car manufacturers do not worry about the second and third owners (once again, see that video and that mechanic confirms this with that Toyota where the doctor stuck to manufacturers intervals. BTW, he stuck to what Toyota stated and he is paying for a new engine. Think about that a second).

Stop saying to trust the engineers, they are not what drives advertising for auto makers and they do not set maintenance intervals. This is not the 60's where the told you how to adjust your valves in the owners manual.

You're wasting your money and time. The end.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
3K used to be the norm, 5K is now, my wifes Boxter is 10K, the Denali has an oil life calculator.

JMO do whatever the manufacturer recommends is at least wise during warranty periods, outside of that if 3 K changes make you feel better, have at it. It most likely is a waste of oil and money, but it's yours so have at it..

If you really want to know whats going on, and if your 3K changes are necessary do a UOA, it's not expensive, and will yield information as to the condition of the oil and engine.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Once you get the UOA, heres a good article on interpreting the data

https://bobistheoilguy.com/use...cide-what-is-normal/

Posts: 23487 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
You're wasting your money and time. The end.[/QUOTE]

I'm one that usually over engineers things. If it calls for two nails, I put in three, clean my guns after range... but of course. Heavy items from the grocery usually get two bags, I use three. And I change my oil every 6 months no matter the mileage or how hard it's been driven. I rarely get past 4,000 miles in 6 months. The expense is not great and gives me some piece of mind. If I where buying a used vehicle, and looked at two almost identical, and one had records of consistent 3000 mile oil changes, and the other 10000 mile changes, I'd opt for the 3000 mile one.

I say do as you please with the minimum being what the manual calls for.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The argument I keep hearing is that it's "cheap insurance." Again, it's outdated thinking that wasn't even valid 20 years ago.

But they're probably still sold on that fear from oil change places that your engine will blow up if you go to 3,001 miles. Roll Eyes

So far, no respondent on here has said they had a modern engine blow up from a 3,000+ mile oil change interval. Go on BITOG and I doubt there are any you'd find there.

But then again, some people here are probably still carrying a 5" 1911 with 230gr .45 ACP and using dial up for internet because that's the way it's always been done? Or maybe carrier pigeons or smoke signals?

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
The argument I keep hearing is that it's "cheap insurance." Again, it's outdated thinking that wasn't even valid 20 years ago.

But they're probably still sold on that fear from oil change places that your engine will blow up if you go to 3,001 miles. Roll Eyes

So far, no respondent on here has said they had a modern engine blow up from a 3,000+ mile oil change interval. Go on BITOG and I doubt there are any you'd find there.

But then again, some people here are probably still carrying a 5" 1911 with 230gr .45 ACP and using dial up for internet because that's the way it's always been done? Or maybe carrier pigeons or smoke signals?

The fact of the mater is oil gets dirty, it doesn't break down as it did years ago. But oil with suspended abrasive contaminants floating around can't possibly be good for rubbing metal parts. The oil filter can only remove so much. I've sent my oil to Blackstone several times, and always get very positive feed back. Is it just Blackstone saying good things to keep me coming back? sure maybe but they do send a detailed written evaluation. Just another piece of mind thing that is not necessary, yet I don't mind the extra $40~ a year.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I always did around 7K running synthetic on my Genesis G80 & Infiniti G37.

Will probably do the same on wifes X2. But that would likely take it x2 years for that mileage. As we never use her car. Model 3 gets used for %98 of driving.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If 3000 mile oil change is good, why not 1500 miles?

Modern oil is advertised as "Extended Life". Don't the petroleum companies think shorter intervals would sell more oil? Why not advertise for more frequent changes and make 'mo money?

Wait, wait, wait. I know the answer. The car manufacturers have paid off the petroleum companies.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I change mine in the spring, and again in the fall regardless of mileage, although it tends to be about the 4k mark.So far, so good.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
If 3000 mile oil change is good, why not 1500 miles?

Modern oil is advertised as "Extended Life". Don't the petroleum companies think shorter intervals would sell more oil? Why not advertise for more frequent changes and make 'mo money?

Wait, wait, wait. I know the answer. The car manufacturers have paid off the petroleum companies.

Yep, give me the car with 50,000 miles and the oil changed with premium oil every 15000. Sever service not withstanding and a good mixture of highway and city driving.

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
Don't be fooled into thinking that auto manufacturers are giving oil schedules and even oil weights that are best for your car.
Chevy requires 0W-20 in my 2018 Silverado's V8. The optional V6, which is literally the same engine minus two cylinders requires 5W-30.
The lighter weight oil is used to hit a certain EPA mileage number. Its not better for the engine, it just gets a tiny bit better gas mileage so that V8 will look like less of a gas guzzler.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Don't be fooled into thinking that auto manufacturers are giving oil schedules and even oil weights that are best for your car.
Chevy requires 0W-20 in my 2018 Silverado's V8. The optional V6, which is literally the same engine minus two cylinders requires 5W-30.
The lighter weight oil is used to hit a certain EPA mileage number. Its not better for the engine, it just gets a tiny bit better gas mileage so that V8 will look like less of a gas guzzler.

How can an engine be the same engine if it’s missing two cylinders? Both the primary and secondary balance would be way different. I’d think the V6 configuration would require some significant engineering changes since V6 configurations have such poor balance naturally vs the V8. Don’t you think that these significant changes might dictate different oil weights? Otherwise, why wouldn’t the manufacturer just specify 0w-20 for both engines and dine out on the increased fuel mileage of the V6 using 0w-20?

Perhaps I’m just not as cynical, but I think a lot of engineering and testing goes into engine design. No doubt the EPA is driving this a bit, but I don’t believe GM is simply lowering oil weights independent of other engineering changes.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Even the people who sell oil say 3K is a waste.

https://blog.amsoil.com/bustin...ile-oil-change-myth/

quote:
Busting the 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth
Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is a practice passed down for generations. The origin likely stems from the noble...

Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is a practice passed down for generations. The origin likely stems from the noble effort to provide consumers with a simple vehicle-maintenance rule that left plenty of room for error.

Marketed by fast lubes
Fast lube chains, which first entered the market in the 1970s, adopted and amplified the message through sustained marketing campaigns. Owned by major oil manufacturers, fast lube chains had a financial interest in seeing customers frequently and selling more oil, the vast majority of which was conventional.

Endorsed by your dad and mechanic
While this timeline helps provide context, it does little to address the emotional connection to changing oil every 3,000 miles. The reason so many motorists dutifully change oil every 3,000 miles is because their fathers and their mechanics – two of the most influential groups in automotive circles – told them they should. For many people, the 3,000-mile oil change is a tradition that ties them to the person who taught them many important life lessons, like how to keep your car running properly.

Tradition updated with new technology
Many families pass down traditions, and while the spirit of the tradition is upheld, many elements are updated to reflect current technology and lifestyles. Your call to a distant relative during the holidays may now require Skype instead of a rotary phone. Likewise, your annual family vacation may start at the airport instead of in the family station wagon. In the case of the 3,000-mile oil change, we can preserve the noble spirit of taking good care of our vehicles by establishing a habit of changing oil periodically, but not necessarily every 3,000 miles.

Since the advent of the 3,000-mile oil change, advances in lubrication and automotive technology have rendered it outdated, like adding water to automotive batteries, replacing ignition points and adjusting the carburetor. Now, many vehicle manufacturers recommend changing oil every 5,000 miles or longer, with BMW calling for 15,000 miles between oil changes.

TWEET THIS
Synthetic motor oil technology
Synthetic lubrication technology plays a significant role in moving beyond the 3,000-mile oil change interval. Synthetic motor oil offers better wear protection, improved resistance to temperature extremes and increased cleanliness properties compared to conventional oils. For that reason, it’s safe to use them longer than 3,000 miles.

AMSOIL products provide confidence with additional protection that goes beyond the standard. It’s what your dad or grandfather may have called the “belt and suspenders” approach. For example, AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil…

Provides 75% more engine protection against horsepower loss and wear than required by a leading industry standard.

Achieved 72% better protection than required by a leading industry standard, providing ultimate protection against extreme heat and the harmful deposits that can plague turbochargers.

Achieved 100% protection against LSPI.

So, while it’s vital to change your oil and take care of your vehicle, it’s also important to advance your methods in lockstep with the latest technology. And modern synthetic oils have made the 3,000-mile oil change as dated as the rotary phone.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've done 5K mile oil changes on my vehicles for years and have never had an oil related breakdown. That included my wifes Corolla that she bought new and racked up 197K miles in 5 years (she did home health care nursing at the time so she traveled a bit).

You wanna do 3K mile oil changes, your vehicle, your money, have at it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post