SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    L.e.o.'s , what gear do you actually need /want?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.e.o.'s , what gear do you actually need /want? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
quote:

Gearwise, give me

- a computer that wont crash in the middle of a report and has more processing power than my watch. You know, I'd like it to earn its ridiculous price tag.

Sounds like your department buys computers the same place mine does.

Big Grin

No matter where you go, policing is the same.

Ours are Toughbooks which are aptly described as $200 computers in a $3000 case.

I work for Panasonic Toughbook service center.

A lot of departments are still using Toughbooks that are 10 to 15 years old. Running an OS with half the required memory.

It also doesn't help when LEOs use the TB as a food tray. Half LEO units we get in need a new a new keyboard due to coffee spillage and food crumbs. Its disgusting. You can always tell the K9 units. They have a lot of dog hair in them (with coffee).

The newer CF-31's (which I work on) are nice units.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gearwise, give me

- a computer that wont crash in the middle of a report and has more processing power than my watch. You know, I'd like it to earn its ridiculous price tag.

Big Grin

Ours are Toughbooks which are aptly described as $200 computers in a $3000 case.

A lot of departments are still using Toughbooks that are 10 to 15 years old. Running an OS with half the required memory.

It also doesn't help when LEOs use the TB as a food tray. Half LEO units we get in need a new a new keyboard due to coffee spillage and food crumbs. Its disgusting. You can always tell the K9 units. They have a lot of dog hair in them (with coffee).

We have a few CF-30s, and mainly CF-31s. They don't seem to like temperature swings. Seems we have to add memory within months of putting it in service. We sampled a tablet to ditch the Toughbook, but had more problems with the tablet than we did the Toughbooks. Big problem was seeing the tablet in the sun light.

Mine never had dog hair or food on it, because I didn't eat in my car. I also was not a screen toucher, because finger prints on the screen drive me insane.

I'm no longer in patrol, so I don't worry about it.

It is super cool that you work at Panasonic. It never ceases to amaze me that you can ask just about ANY question around here, and you have one or two SME, or employee of the particular company. Very cool.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gearwise, give me

Big Grin

We have a few CF-30s, and mainly CF-31s. They don't seem to like temperature swings. Seems we have to add memory within months of putting it in service. We sampled a tablet to ditch the Toughbook, but had more problems with the tablet than we did the Toughbooks. Big problem was seeing the tablet in the sun light.

Mine never had dog hair or food on it, because I didn't eat in my car. I also was not a screen toucher, because finger prints on the screen drive me insane.

I'm no longer in patrol, so I don't worry about it.

It is super cool that you work at Panasonic. It never ceases to amaze me that you can ask just about ANY question around here, and you have one or two SME, or employee of the particular company. Very cool.

That's interesting. Thanks for the input!

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We are issued most everything we "need", except for a decent flashlight. We also get a $500 allowance to buy replacements every year. I'd like it if we could use that money for more things...it's only through Galls and it is only for very specific items.

Our equipment is pretty good. I will say I am impressed overall with the IT at my agency. The computers work almost all the time. And I mean damn close to all the time. I wasn't used to that. (Panasonics--though I will second that they do not like extreme temps in either direction.)

I'm not fond of our poly-wool uniforms. For now if we want we can still wear 5.11 BDU styles if we want, and with web gear, but there has been a rumor for over a year that those are going away. It is a PITA to carry everything you need in a uniform with worthless pockets...why change what works.

I get annoyed to no end about not having a take-home car. I had one for 8 years with my old agency. For patrol here it is a crapshoot most days on which or even if they will have a car when they show up. Our leaders will dump money on every pet project imaginable, but they won't buy us all cars. Luckily the unit I'm on doesn't have the same problem...but it's still a huge issue overall.

I wish I could get my old X26 Taser instead of this honking huge X2.

I hate our S&W M&Ps.

I wish it didn't take an act of congress to sign out a rifle every day, and that it wasn't 16". They don't blink at the gazillion 14" NFA freaking shotguns that we have everywhere...but holy shit lets keep these scary rifles that you can buy at the mall locked down so they don't run off and kill people Roll Eyes

And I want to be able to carry my damn PR-24. Really, if they'd just let me carry that thing I'd spend enough time reminiscing and twirling it that I'd probably not complain about the rest of the crap. Big Grin

Otherwise...as long as they deposit my check every Friday, I don't really care that much.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A squad car with less than 130K miles, no chicken bones, 1/2 empty water bottles or food wrappers in it. a computer without coffee or food stains on it. I'd like one with a working rifle rack in the front...

I'd like my department to issue sets of balls. Hell, even tiny ones... Some of our members desperately need them.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
The departments I worked for supplied a minimum few sets of uniforms, one uniform badge, an ID, maybe a Smokey Bear or baseball cap, and a jacket. All the gear and weaponry had to be purchased by the individual Officer, even when we made between $8-$13 an hour. We had to buy our own ammo also. When gear wore out, you had to dig deep to replace it. It really sucked.

At least now, I work special gigs under an official banner and have everything from my career, so I'm lucky to be equipped.

When I got to work on a Drug Task Force, I didn't have a uniform allowance, so I had to wear my own clothes. At least I already had a compact firearm as well as a backup. It was a bitch to work alongside guys that worked for departments that supplied everything.

We had nearly broke down cars with over 100,000 miles on them, video systems that didn't work, no spare radio batteries, old computers at the office that was in a building that should have been demolished, a Chief that was a piece of spam, and a city council that didn't care that we worked a forced 60-84 hours a week, switching days and nights all the time, and were constantly exhausted.

I would like to work at a department with decent benefits, that issues gear and new vehicles, proper time for training and vacations, peer counseling, support for OIS, and people that give a crap about doing the job.

Too much?

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
A squad car with less than 130K miles, no chicken bones, 1/2 empty water bottles or food wrappers in it. a computer without coffee or food stains on it. I'd like one with a working rifle rack in the front...

I'd like my department to issue sets of balls. Hell, even tiny ones... Some of our members desperately need them.

It's the new CPD courtesy of Rahm Emanuel. When I was in 013 I had a rifle mount right up front next to me. Press buton and out comes rifle. Loved it. But it did cause people to stare at me as the rifle was barrel up right between the two front seats and the suburban yups had apparently never seen anything like it.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
We are provided everything needed upon entry into the Department. After that, we get a 1,500 yearly uniform allowance to buy/ replace anything you need. We get new ballistic vests every 5 years through a program also. The one thing my department “needed” for a long time was new handguns and Patrol rifles. We got Glock 23 a few years ago which was great but they did not want us to have rifles. It took me 3 years, but I finally got them to approve them. I’ll be ordering them shortly.

On a side note, I am planning on going with the Colt 6920-EPR with Aimpoint T2 and Streamlight ProcTac rail light and sling. Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what if someone came along and offered you a $1,600 tablet , that comes with
a B.A.C. attachment, and finger print deal connected to a.f.i.s. data base,

another app, that is a facial recognition data base,
and instead of calling in 28's and 29's , all you do is enter the numbers and
you don't have to wait for dispatch.

would something like that be a help ?
or a hindrance?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:

It's the new CPD courtesy of Rahm Emanuel. When I was in 013 I had a rifle mount right up front next to me. Press buton and out comes rifle. Loved it. But it did cause people to stare at me as the rifle was barrel up right between the two front seats and the suburban yups had apparently never seen anything like it.

That's why I try to get one of the Tahoes. There's still a few that have the rack up front and the unlock button still works. The new fords? It takes damn near an act of congress to have the gun out of the rack, up and ready...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
imagine that you are sitting at your lunch place, and a
guy walks up to you ,
thanks you for your service and offers you
to get you $8,000.00 worth of duty related gear.

would you get 8 more uniforms and shoes?
a new cop motor for the car?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, $8000? All I would get would be 1 more pair of pants, another set of Danner boots and maybe a new, lighter bulletproof vest. Total, about $800. And that's not really "need", all the gear I have now works and is in good shape, and I get an uniform allowance (which somehow goes predominantly to my "guns and ammo" fund).

I have enough duty weapons, gear, cuffs...

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
For 8 Gs I'd figure out or find a system to keep my damn vest cool. Last summer I had heat rash so bad I was bleeding at the end of shifts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
For 8 Gs I'd figure out or find a system to keep my damn vest cool. Last summer I had heat rash so bad I was bleeding at the end of shifts.

Word.

We're in the process of switching to outer carriers, which reportedly help with that. Unfortunately, it'll probably be the end of August before mine arrives, so it won't do me much good this summer.

I'll have to stick with frequent showers with tea tree soap, and copious amounts of Gold Bond, for the time being.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I started wearing armor in 1988...the only thing I found that helped was using under armor or knocks off tee shirts.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

I started wearing armor in 1988...the only thing I found that helped was using under armor or knocks off tee shirts.

The 5.11 brand of those work the best for me, and I use this under-vest spacer thing that helps with circulation, but at the end of the day it’s 10+ hours of sweating and it stays on my skin. I still have the same rash from last year. It lasted through the winter, just calmed down. I’ve been to the Dr about it with limited success.

I’ve even got a Cool Cop.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
quote:

Chongo, do you have to wear the vest under your uniform shirt, or can you wear it in a vest-cover?

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Chongo, do you have to wear the vest under your uniform shirt, or can you wear it in a vest-cover?

We still wear concealable armor. They have been testing outer carriers for a couple of years now, but they haven't started issuing them.

-JALLEN

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have been testing outer carriers for a couple of years now, but they haven't started issuing them.

Yeah, I was a tester for a few companies that were marketing to my old dept...every vest that we tried was so much more comfortable than the standard under professions shirt uniform....the chief didn't like the way the over shirt vest looked...and that was a wrap.

So remember, no matter how much more comfortable, safe, better, smoother, easier, etc. something makes your job-there is a guy in an office who hasn't worked the street in 20 years making the decisions....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
They have been testing outer carriers for a couple of years now, but they haven't started issuing them.

Yeah, I was a tester for a few companies that were marketing to my old dept...every vest that we tried was so much more comfortable than the standard under professions shirt uniform....the chief didn't like the way the over shirt vest looked...and that was a wrap.

So remember, no matter how much more comfortable, safe, better, smoother, easier, etc. something makes your job-there is a guy in an office who hasn't worked the street in 20 years making the decisions....

Exactly this! We have no rain or snow gear. Our uni committee asked for a lightweight waterproof hooded jacket. We found three jackets that met the criteria and sent it to upper admin with our preferred recommendation. After six months and the whole winter they decided on a different jacket that was never considered by road guys. The jacket wasn't waterproof it wasn't lightweight and it had no hood. turns out admin ignored everything we asked for and went with a jacket sold by a former officer who now works for a uniform company as a favor. The admin guys like them. They keep our administrators warm when they are outdoors. That means they are warm and dry from when they leave the office until they get in their car while we are soaked and standing in traffic and on calls. Idiots...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post