SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too Many Brake Caliper Greases ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too Many Brake Caliper Greases ?? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
It seems there are too many greases sold as brake caliper slide pin grease. I have three different brands, all big brand names, but they are completely different forumations. One is clear crystal blue, one is thick black, and I can't remember what the other one is. A a fourth that's not marketed as brake capliper slide pin grease but is a do-all type silicone from NAPA that is advertised as usable for that. I saw another one on the internet that was "pure silicone grease", looks like crystal clear, 3M brand iirc.

WHY are there so many choices, and what are the tradeoffs between the major types of formulations ? Or is like the great Sigforum discussions about the best grease to use on slides - aka, get you some grease, use it.

So what is it about brake caliper greases that make things so confusing ? Maybe they want us to be confused so you end up with 3 or 4 bottles that you'll never finish using.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
A a fourth that's not marketed as brake capliper slide pin grease but is a do-all type silicone from NAPA that is advertised as usable for that.
I believe that is Sil-Glyde. I like the Permatex purple stuff because A, the shop buys it, and B, it has a brush in the cap for less grease on my fingers.

It doesn't really matter which brand you use, as long as they are capable of withstanding (i.e., not melting) under the high temperatures often encountered with brakes. Just a few quick stops in succession can get brake rotors 300° or more (probably more, since it takes time to get stopped, out of the car and shine a laser thermometer on them, during which time they've cooled off some). If the brakes are dragging due to a malfunction, it can go even higher.

Posts: 27976 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I bought the expensive one and called it a day. Purple Permatex. It’ll last me a lifetime of brake jobs.

You want to talk about too many choices? Let’s talk about oil and oil filters. Every brand has at least four choices in a given weight oil or size filter. For example, there are seven choices for Mobil 1 in 5w-30. That’s just one brand.

Posts: 10991 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I use Permatex instead of regular grease hoping that it does not cause the rubber boots to degrade.

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Greases are formulated with additives, thickeners, and base oils.

Color is added.

Choose name brand and labeled for application.

Minimize the quest for the ideal here.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the blue Permatex starting with the first disk brake job that I did many years ago.

Every now and then some sneaks on a Sig slide in the summer.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
One of the most important things is to clean the pins and the bores. Many people don't clean the bores well enough. I don't know what the best pin grease is. I've tryed a handful over the years some of them just seem to turn to crap after only 2 or 3 years here in my climate. Some worse than others. Been using Raybestos silicone brake lubricant with PTFE last few years with just a very light coating. With none on the end of the on end of pin that goes into the blind bore.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use anti-seize in places I think it's needed.

Brakes would likely work fine for quite some time with absolutely nothing applied so the idea you need some magic lube is B/S in my opinion.

Almost anything that would stay in place is fine.

Posts: 9531 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't over-think it. Grease is like oil. Anything is better than nothing. Just pick a multi-purpose high-pressure grease and use it appropriately, which in this case means greasing any sliding parts of the caliper assembly and keeping it off the friction surfaces.

Posts: 2488 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be in industrial supply and one of my customers was a grease manufacturer. The maintenance guy that I used to call on told me the lighter the color, the better it is. They keep adding colors and additives then blending, so what was initially white marine grade could end up in blue grease, then red and black was the bastard child of everything mixed together and carbon or dyes added to it. Not sure how accurate it is, but probably some truth to it.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I use Sil-Glyde, it's silicone based grease which is what I understand is best for the slide pins.

I don't think it really matters if it's made for brakes or silicone based. The biggest thing is to cleaning and lubing the slide pins.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post