SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DVD set "War Classics" Big Battles WW2 KARMA WINNER posted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD set "War Classics" Big Battles WW2 KARMA WINNER posted Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
set of 4 DVDs, recently discovered at the back/bottom of a home storage cabinet;
never opened, never used;

We can not identify where/when/how/ we came into possession of this boxed set; "Echo Bridge Home Entertainment" seems to be the producer.

Winner chosen in random 'name picked out of hat' process; Karma winner chosen by end of 2/21/2019.

Entrants must have more than 73 posts before today; and submit brief statement naming which battle of WW2, either land/air/sea/undercover operations, they feel of the greatest signficance to increase the likelihood of Allied Victory.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm in please. I love these things.
I believe that the pivotal battles of WWII can't be narrowed down to 1. I choose the "Big 3", in this order Stalingrad, El Alamein, and Midway. Each represent a key turning point in the war.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m in.

I am going to say Billy Mitchell’s raid. Although purely symbolic it showed we could hit back and hit back fast after a pretty devastating hit.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7695 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I am in, thank you for the chance. I think the Battle of Midway was the most significant turning point of WWII which increased the likelihood of allied victory in the Pacific theatre. There were others, including the Manhattan project. The sum total of the contributions of every American at home and in the service were enormous. In the European theatre, the allied bombing of German factories and civilian population centers brought the German war effort to its knees.

I hope that is brief enough. It is difficult to pick one thing for a war this complex.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I'd like to enter the fray.

So many battles during WWII can be viewed as turning points but IMHO the meat grinder known as Stalingrad and the death of the German 6th army was the swan song for the Third Reich and spelled doom in the ETO. Already mentioned in the PTO is the Battle of Midway which completely tipped the scales against the Japanese Imperial Navy and essentially gave US and Allied forces a free hand in our island hopping campaign.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Midway

But, I'm certain these DVDs may have something to do about that...

Thx for considering me.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Battle of Okinawa. But their were many others just as fierce. It was a hard time in American history, that too many have forgotten.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Midway for the Pacific as it left the Japanese with a significantly reduced navy with a corresponding inability to project power or defend its empire.
Somewhat different take for the European Theater but I think Operation Barbarosa was the most important as it set up the Eastern Front and the defeat of a significant portion of the German army. I have always wondered what could have been if the USSR had pulled out like they did in WW1? Operation Barbarosa prevented that, led to large loses of men and equipment, while keeping the German Army spread out in multiple theaters.

Posts: 12474 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Pacific - Our ability to break and read the Japanese Codes plus our use of ship radar.

In the European theater: Hitler's meddling with fighter aircraft production and with strategic defenses in Russia.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll take a chance.

European Theatre: Battle of Britain was a big one for the allies. It allowed us to build and operate bases within range of the German war machine.

Pacific Theater: Midway. While we suffered loses as well as the Japanese, our ability to rebuild and replace our losses was far greater than Japans.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

I think that the Battle of the Bulge was one of, if not the, decisive battles of WWII.

Over extended, some say over confident Allied forces were surprised and nearly overwhelmed by the Axis in the winter of '44-45. Had the Germans prevailed (and they came close), it would have seriously set back the war effort and extended the length of the conflict dramatically.

It was the single largest loss of life for the Americans in Europe, but their ultimate victory signaled the end of the war.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I believe that choosing one event alone is too challenging. I'm going with (1) the secret mission where Jim Brown drops multiple grenades down ventilation shafts, (2) the stealing of many bars of gold by Clint Eastwood with a small band of tankers, and (3) the destruction of artillery by Gregory Peck by dumping it into the sea from the cliff as quite important. Of major impact the undercover activity by Bob Crane at Stalag 13 cannot be forgotten.

Bletchley Park to me is truly pivotal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I shall put my name in on this.

Big history buff.

Guadalcanal.

The high tide of Japanese victory ebbed there.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please throw my name in the hat. In the Pacific without a doubt I believe the battle of Midway was the turning point of war. It was the first major defeat of the Jap's. They never did fully recover from that and from then on the Americas seems to gain steam.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
In please!

In the European theatre, Stalingrad. I only put it above the Battle of the Bulge because of the losses inflicted on the Axis in terms of personnel and materials. The Bulge was a last ditch effort in a clearly failing war.

In the pacific, Midway, as others have opined. As isolated as Japan was in terms of wartime resources, the losses suffered at Midway spelled disaster and retreat to the Japanese. They could never hope to produce enough assets to challenge the US Navy in the Pacific.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15620 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Great input gents. Drawing in 1 more day.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Ill take a stab at it.

Battle of Leyte Gulf, rendered the Japanese Imperial Navy irrelevant for remaining duration of war.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
Pleas put my name in,nice karma.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Winner is : 610;

he's been notified & package will be sent pending shipping information

Thank you all for participating.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~