SIGforum
How will tunnels help traffic?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4040088294

June 22, 2022, 06:38 PM
fwbulldog
How will tunnels help traffic?
Something I just don’t understand is this claim that tunnels wil somehow improve traffic?

One car with a flat tire can shut down a 6 lane highway. Often in both directions due to the rubberneckers.

Imagine a disabled vehicle in a tunnel. Car fire? Seems like a nightmare.

I must be missing something.

June 22, 2022, 06:40 PM
ZSMICHAEL
IDK they are faster than a ferry across water. See what someone says about the Holland tunnel helping with traffic.
June 22, 2022, 07:13 PM
KBobAries
I-10 goes through the deck park tunnel in central Phoenix. Traffic always bogs down upon entering from either direction. They certainly serve a purpose in some situations but I'm not a fan of the one we have.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.
June 22, 2022, 07:48 PM
Hay2bale
It is the best and fastest way to drive under an aircraft carrier, or a Panamax ship.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
June 22, 2022, 08:00 PM
Jimbo Jones
Same in Mobile, AL

quote:
Originally posted by KBobAries:
I-10 goes through the deck park tunnel in central Phoenix. Traffic always bogs down upon entering from either direction. They certainly serve a purpose in some situations but I'm not a fan of the one we have.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
June 22, 2022, 08:08 PM
berto
40 years ago a tunnel fire in the Bay Area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldecott_Tunnel_fire

Thankfully rare but scary as hell.
June 22, 2022, 10:34 PM
ridgerat
The purpose of the tunnel is to improve traffic on the streets above it.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League
June 22, 2022, 10:51 PM
VBVAGUY
Here were I live in the Hampton Roads / Tidewater area of Virginia we have so many tunnels. Traffic is already bad with them during rush hour and even more so when there is an accident. I remember one summer; I was in sight of the entrance when traffic was stopped for over 3.5 hours for an accident. Most people just switched off their vehicles to avoid running out of gas instead of letting it idle to use the AC. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
June 23, 2022, 05:53 AM
4MUL8R
I avoid Hampton Roads Norfolk VA Beach because of tunnels. I will do any other route possible, and they are most often blocked.

On the other hand (cue Randy Travis?) the same can happen in the Asheville NC area where I-40 is blocked infrequently due to rock slides from the mountain.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
June 23, 2022, 06:36 AM
bettysnephew
The fumes from an electric vehicle fire in a tunnel could likely deplete the population somewhat. Isn't this another of the NWO goals? One stone, many birds.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
June 23, 2022, 08:30 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

IDK they are faster than a ferry across water. See what someone says about the Holland tunnel helping with traffic.
There's a tunnel to Holland? I did not know that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 23, 2022, 08:41 AM
sig2392
When they finally finished the Big Dig in Boston, it cut my commute time in half.

Off-hours into Boston 20 Minutes, rush hour 45.

Double those times before the big dig. They added two more tunnels, one going each way added plus the two they already had. Plus a bridge was added to the one that was already in place.
June 23, 2022, 09:59 AM
Rey HRH
There's nothing inherent about a tunnel per se except on the issue on whether it adds more traffic capacity.

Additionally, since there's minimal ingress and egress points, then traffic flow is better in a tunnel compared to street level through ways with multiple on and off ramps.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
June 23, 2022, 10:57 AM
gpbst3
Ask anyone from Pittsburgh about the Liberty, Squirrel Hill and Ft. Duquesne tunnels.

Granted they go under residential neighborhoods but the amount of backups is ridiculous. Two lanes in, two lanes out. Traffic comes to a dead stop before entering the tunnels.

June 23, 2022, 10:59 AM
clang
Just wait until they put in these tunnels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOwKExagzdQ&t=740s