SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the po' folk having for lunch?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the po' folk having for lunch? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Daughter brought down a short mess of lobstah for Mrs. PH's Birthday.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
looks like we are having road trip lobster

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If that's how the po' folks eat, I'm moving to Maine. Happy Birthday wish for Mrs. PH.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Isn't that looahbstah? Or is that the Jersey version. Wink Big Grin

Looks good either way. Can't wait to gorge myself on them little crustaceans in a couple of months.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
from one 8/26 baby to another wish your wife a happy birthday.

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If that's how the po' folks eat, I'm moving to Maine.

Lobster was traditionally a "po' folks" food. Prior to about 150 years ago, it was traditionally only eaten by servants, prisoners, and the destitute.

Even today, it's only expensive elsewhere in the country because it's expensive to transport live, thus resulting in high prices the farther you get from the source. It's still cheap in Maine.

In Maine, lobster is no big deal. It's readily available on the cheap. When I lived there for a time, it took me a little while to wrap my head around that. A typical conversation with my friends would be something like:

"I'm kinda hungry... Want to grab a burger?"

"Nah... Let's get some lobster."

"Okay. But I had that yesterday."

Then we'd find a lobster shack, I'd throw down like $5, and eat a fresh-steamed lobster. Cheaper than McDonalds.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the picture I was thinking they were just big mud bugs (crawdads) that cousin louie pulled out of the puddle or ditch in the back yard. I still remember the line in the movie Tom Horn when he sat down to the big cattlemen's dinner and there as a massive lobster on the plate in front of him and he was asked what the thought about it and replied: "That's the biggest damn bug I've ever seen." or something to that effect.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am allergic to shellfish so that looks like a plateful of poison to me.

However, since you are not allergic, enjoy!

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31446 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beats my grilled cheese sammich

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Them’s the biggest bugs I ever saw.

Happy with my swiss cheese sammy and tater chips.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What does lobster cost for the locals at the dock in Maine?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What does lobster cost for the locals at the dock in Maine?

It varies by area, demand and catch but around here $5 to $7 per pound for shedders is about average. Hard shells can go over $9.

A "shedder" is a lobster that has just moved into a larger shell (molted). The shell is impressive but the meat inside hasn't grown into it yet so it can be deceptive.

I actually prefer shedders as they're sweeter. The ones we had today were about half-way in between, they'd been in their new home for a while and were pretty well filled out.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I also ate red food for lunch, borscht soup. It was good (homemade), but not lobster good. For dinner, chicken corn chowder.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Daughter brought down a short mess of lobstah for Mrs. PH's Birthday.

Hey, it’s my wife’s birthday, too!

Waaaaaiiiiit a minute....

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2395 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

Hey, it’s my wife’s birthday, too!

Waaaaaiiiiit a minute....

Yer safe, the actual date was Friday the 24th.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
By definition, po'folks don't gots no lunch.

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Did she keep the adults for herself ? Razz

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I was just in NH for a couple weeks, had to do the whole lobsters for dinner's and some lobster rolls for lunch's - plus some fried clams.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also thought they were crawdads and ready for the jambalaya stewpot!

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I am allergic to shellfish so that looks like a plateful of poison to me.

However, since you are not allergic, enjoy!
Well, I'm not allergic, but I don't like lobster or other shellfish. I only eat seafood that had fins. YMMV

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post