SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone/ iPad parental control apps?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone/ iPad parental control apps? Login/Join 
posted
I recall a thread a while ago but was unable to locate it. My forumfoo is lacking today

Time has come for me to lock down my sons electronics. His grades suck and I’ve finally comvinced his mother into establishing severe electronic restrictions (my son lives with his mother in another state) until such time he proves he’s capable of balancing school, life and recreation. I hate to become “that Dad” but it’s needed. He’s never caused any problems. Most of his “socializing” with friends from school actually revolves around online games. Only real outdoor activity he expresses interest and participated in is sailing during the summers, I’m unable being 2.5hrs away to make sure he gets someplace to do so unless he’s with me

What apps have people had success with. I want more controls than what are built into the phone as Is not be able to monitor activity. I have no issue paying subscription costs

Web search shows many and of course they all state “the best” and depending on which publication you look at there really no consistency to reviews

Thanks fellow Fathers with similar affliction Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
BTDT, got the shirt.

Trust me on this. Anything else will be a recipe for whining, frustration and negotiation. You'll both end up more pissed, and it will distract from a simple clean break to what you really are looking for. I recommend draining battery completely first.

In our case, it was a month with 10K+ text messages, many of them in the wee hours of the night. School had become secondary.

Um, no.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12452 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will still have his phone because he does need it

I want to restrict it so much that he has 2 hrs to talk/ text to friends. List 5-6 telephone numbers that will be available after say 9pm. His mother, myself and his grandparents. That’s all. No games, no external texts, no games, no skype, etc etc etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
First, I set up their devices to restrict certain websites, to not be able to delete or download new apps without permission, etc, etc. Do some research and use some of Apples built in parental safe guards.

Second, use this app. I still get it for free as an initial user from the Beta test phase, but the cost is pretty fair for what you get. I still use the basic mode, which allows me to restrict when the devices have access to the internet and are able to use apps other than photos or ibooks. My kids call it getting 'nuked' because the apps literally disappear when their time is up.

https://ourpact.com/

With premium you can set timers, limit specific apps, etc, etc.

I think it's better to regulate usage rather than taking it away. Because they (1) need to learn how to operate in a technical world, (2) can learn a lot from the internet. My daughters have learned to raise and care for geckos, bearded dragons, etc, etc, and (3) they are still responsible for taking care of the device, charging it, etc - even when it's locked up.

It's all controlled from my iphone and I have access even when thousands of miles away.

Good luck.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
First, I set up their devices to restrict certain websites, to not be able to delete or download new apps without permission, etc, etc. Do some research and use some of Apples built in parental safe guards.

Second, use this app. I still get it for free as an initial user from the Beta test phase, but the cost is pretty fair for what you get. I still use the basic mode, which allows me to restrict when the devices have access to the internet and are able to use apps other than photos or ibooks. My kids call it getting 'nuked' because the apps literally disappear when their time is up.

https://ourpact.com/

Thank you Sir. Thats the direction I'm looking.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's really great. You can set it up by day, ie weekday routine is one thing, weekend routine is another. You can also override a schedule by granting more time (for good behavior) or blocking it until you unblock it.

Also when you set the parental controls on the iphone, you can set it so they can't delete browsing history (if you choose to let them search the internet). I regularly look through their history (every 1-2 weeks) and have told them if they end up somewhere they shouldn't be, be sure to tell me.

So far, so good. It's a continual process, but what isn't as a parent? Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
How old is the child?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
How old is the child?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It's really great. You can set it up by day, ie weekday routine is one thing, weekend routine is another. You can also override a schedule by granting more time (for good behavior) or blocking it until you unblock it.

Also when you set the parental controls on the iphone, you can set it so they can't delete browsing history (if you choose to let them search the internet). I regularly look through their history (every 1-2 weeks) and have told them if they end up somewhere they shouldn't be, be sure to tell me.

So far, so good. It's a continual process, but what isn't as a parent? Big Grin

Is this something that can be done remotely? or only on the device?

Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I know you asked about apps for managing electronics but I would like to add something related. I worked with a physicist who would discipline his teenager by removing the door to his room. Apparently, privacy is paramount to today’s youth. According to my friend, after a couple of days without the door, his boy would do whatever it took to get it back.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
I know you asked about apps for managing electronics but I would like to add something related. I worked with a physicist who would discipline his teenager by removing the door to his room. Apparently, privacy is paramount to today’s youth. According to my friend, after a couple of days without the door, his boy would do whatever it took to get it back.

good suggestion, in this instance the bedroom door is never completely closed at either house