SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question(s) about older currency
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question(s) about older currency Login/Join 
posted
My mother-in-law while cleaning out her home, had some older US currency/bills/coins-(a couple one dollar Black Eagles bills and a 1917 large note-one dollar bill). First off, it is quite amazing to see the detail that went into these for the time and a really cool piece of history. While she is not looking to sell them and will more than likely give them to her grandchildren one day, I was wanting to get them graded for her and was curious if anyone knows a reliable company for grading them. I just can't help but wonder whose hands these might have been in and where they circulated. A really neat find.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.pcgs.com/banknote

PCGS is industry standard for grading coins and currency. NGC as well but PCGS is my favorite. Poke around on that website and you should find a link for submission rules. Once graded you should be able to trade and get values much easier and sell to somebody site unseen.

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grading can be expensive . Unless they are extremely collectible and are in extremely good condition to start with I wouldn't go that route .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fair point about cost of grading. I’d start with something like this or they have smaller for a very modest cost to separate them out and display both sides without being touched. Then have a reputable dealer or 3 take a look and if their value estimate meets your expectations then go ahead and submit for grading. Also much easier for the notes to not get spent or otherwise misplaced if in acrylic blocks.

https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic...35c9ae7148d5a345e82f

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post