SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Susan Collins Is Considering Running For Governor In Maine - Would The US Senate Ever Be The Same Without Her?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Susan Collins Is Considering Running For Governor In Maine - Would The US Senate Ever Be The Same Without Her? Login/Join 
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I don't think having a partisan approach to an issue that affects one-sixth of our economy and affects millions of Americans is the right way to go," Collins said.

Rather odd statement considering not a single "republican" voted for the o-show. If it was so great why didn't she vote for it then - oh that's right she would have lost her reelection.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

She should resign now and have LePage appoint himself the replacement. Re-election in 2020 is almost a certainty for him (98%).

Re-election as a Senator? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it, Maine is a Democrat/Welfare (but I repeat myself...) state. Paul LePage is a "get off yer ass and earn your own living" guy.

Shame he's term-limited as governor.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Professional politicians, pfah. Governors want to become senators, senators want to become governors.

It's all about money and power.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's nice. But the rest of us are all about the impact on the rest of us. And, in this case, there will be an impact on the rest of us.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Maine won't elect a true conservative.

Then (and I mean no offense) do the rest of us really have all that much to lose? Susan's already made it clear she expects to get something for the sacrifice she's making by remaining in the Senate.

Because of two very important considerations. First, her presence in the senate is important to having a republican leader. I really don't care what you think about Mitch McConnell; he's still better than Harry Reid or Chuck Schumer. The Majority Leader controls the senate agenda and thus is extremely important to what bills get considered in the senate and whether or not the senate can work with the house and the whitehouse.

Second, judges. Collins will vote for judges that Democrats will not vote for, and furthermore, the fact that her presence ensures republican leadership, ensures that our kind of judges will even get a hearing. Remember, Mitch McConnell prevented the consideration of Merrick Garland during the last months of the Obama regime. The presence of people like Susan Collins is essential for these things to be possible.

We don't have to like her or respect her, but an R beats a "D" or an "I" any day of the week.

I have lived in Maine, and in other parts of New England for good chunks of my life. PH Paul lives there now. There is no way you are going to get a "real" conservative out of that part of New England at this time. Susan Collins might not be as good as it gets, but she is better than the alternatives.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, then I guess either way it boils down to whether we can put more Rs in the Senate in 2018. The problem with that is that we all know what Trump is quietly getting done, but we need some reasonable prospect of legislative results to feed downballot election turnout. Yes, McConnell is the best of the bad choices. No, he's not focused on building a bigger majority so much as he's focused on holding on to a bare majority by treating Senators from two states as though they're hothouse flowers.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
She should resign now and have LePage appoint himself the replacement. Re-election in 2020 is almost a certainty for him (98%).

Re-election as a Senator? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it, Maine is a Democrat/Welfare (but I repeat myself...) state. Paul LePage is a "get off yer ass and earn your own living" guy.

Shame he's term-limited as governor.

If we could get Susan Collins out of the US Senate and put Paul LePage in her place, the entire US would owe Maine our gratitude.
It would certainly make a difference in the Senate.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, then I guess either way it boils down to whether we can put more Rs in the Senate in 2018. The problem with that is that we all know what Trump is quietly getting done, but we need some reasonable prospect of legislative results to feed downballot election turnout. Yes, McConnell is the best of the bad choices. No, he's not focused on building a bigger majority so much as he's focused on holding on to a bare majority by treating Senators from two states as though they're hothouse flowers.

I can't argue with any of that. If we could get a bigger majority of real conservatives, I wouldn't give a damn about Ms. Collins or any of the other squishes we are currently stuck with.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
she isn't a republican now - she's the female version of McCain

so who cares

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
she isn't a republican now - she's the female version of McCain

so who cares

Read what Artie S posted above. It's called "Majority Party."

Posts: 16001 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is from Northern Maine, a traditionally conservative Republican area. However, she is astute enough to spend her time sucking up to the southern part of Maine where most of the votes are, and they are liberal Democrats. Show me a Republican senator in a blue state, and I'll show you a Democrat at heart. Conversely, show me a Democrat in a red state and I'll show you someone pandering to the Republican party. That's the way it is, because they have counted the votes and they want to remain in power, forever. Whatever she does, she will NEVER have my vote for anything, and we are Mainers that vote.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Well, she's decided to stay in the Senate so she can block any conservative legislation or anything Trump tries to do.

Collins declines run for Maine governor

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the REPs can find someone to run against Angus King in 2018.

Current Gov LePage is term limited and cannot run for reelection in 2018.

LePage thought about challenging Angus King, but he doesn't like President Trump. Too bad.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
He doesn't have to, and he can run in 2020. Time to primary Susan.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have her in the Senate than a real lefty, which is what I think would be elected if she didn't run.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thus the interest in LePage - he's proven he can win a state-wide election.