SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would You Consider This a Cease-fire Situation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Consider This a Cease-fire Situation? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted

Range Deer - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen that a bunch of times at the range/club I belong to. You just watch to make sure they don't get too close to your target. Squirrel, Raccoon, even Turkeys. If it ain't season ,they are safe.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Pretty standard for ranges to call for a cease fire when anything breathing is down range.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a range I went to a few times. The guy that ran it told everyone that if they saw a coyote anywhere near the lanes it was open season. Apparently he lost a couple of dogs to the critters and was holding a grudge.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In Florida, it's a season/permit/location issue if that's a deer. If it's a coyote, it's (within reason) shoot on sight.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A zoo where I shoot. Deer and Turkeys mainly. All game laws apply.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Los Altos Rod and Gun ?????

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's definitely a cease-fire at the outdoor range I've frequented the most over the last decade.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Los Altos Rod and Gun ?????

Bingo! How'd you know?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Germany we ran into this situation a few times when the Reh deer would stroll into the impact area. Reh is the small deer they have there, not the "hirsh" or elk.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The very busy public range I worked at, the deer would feed on the grass that only grew directly in front of the benches on the rifle range. The fact that people were shooting 30 yards away didn't seem to phase them.

My greatest ironic hunting moment was two days before I was going north to bow hunt, using the bow range for some last minute practice. Repeatedly having to stop shooting because there were deer in the way of the targets. (of course only to go away and see nothing)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We go cold when the deer show up on our range. We have, on occasion, had the RO close only certain lanes on the 600yd night shoots as they crossed over certain lanes.

Never seen anything other than deer on the range.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
My club is adjacent to a state gameland. We see deer, pheasant, groundhog and game birds on the ranges and fields. I wouldn't necessarily call a cease fire but I would make sure that no one shoots at the animals. We are a sportsman's club that maintains a good relationship with the game commission, we don't want to jeopardize that relationship by indiscriminate shooting. If a deer crossed the range in season and a shooter held a valid permit I can see making an exception. To the best of my knowledge the next time that confluence of events occurs will be the first.

Our Conservation committee raises quail, woe be to the shooter that takes a quail.

At the trap and skeet fields it's not unusual to see a groundhog munching on the grass in the shot fall area. We don't stop shooting that I have yet to see a groundhog skedaddle from shot falling around them.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
We had a turkey walk on the firing line in Miami one day. The RO simply said "don't even think about it".

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In field matches there is great potential for animals down range. Cattle, deer, antelope, coyotes, and turkeys are common. These are matches for precision shooters, with target distances from a few hundred yards to maybe a mile. If animals are within a few hundred yards of the target zones, then maybe there won't be a course hold. If it's cattle down range and the land/cattle owner are a bit nervous about guns and their prize animals, there will be a course hold. And maybe a motorcycle or ATV down range to shoo away the herd.

The attached picture is of a square public range, probably with targets at 100 yards. Animals are right next to the targets. Shooters will almost certain include those with limited skills. Rifles will almost certainly include those that aren't sighted in properly, or have sights that don't promote high accuracy. Guns will almost certainly include those with mediocre accurate -- AK47, Mini 14, guns with shot out barrels. This is absolutely a cease fire situation.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
At our club yes.
We will get all kinds of wildlife down range.
The animals seam to be used to the gun fire on our range and the sheriffs range next door. They will just walk out on the range when people are shooting.
We were in the middle of an IDPA stage when a rabbit hopped onto the bay down range. The shooter stopped,made safe, the range was clear and we went down range to get him to move. As soon as we approached him he ran off.
We pasted the targets and the shooter re shot the stage.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, yes. Our club is in an area designated as a wildlife preserve so shooting an animal will get you expelled and maybe prosecuted as well. Even shooting when there's one out on the range will get you hauled up before the disciplinary committee. We get deer wandering around there regularly. One time we saw a coyote.

The deer seem to understand that, too. I used to have a cell phone picture of three of them grazing down by the main entrance to the property, unfortunately I lost that phone and the picture with it.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As an aside, isn’t it amazing how they’ll literally walk into a hot range, even with all that gunfire, and yet, after black powder season opens, they’re nowhere to be seen?

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I submitted this pic more as a joke, obviously it's a cease-fire situation. Especially here in Cali, think how fast the range would be shut down if even one wildlife was shot.

I actually had just set up and hadn't started shooting yet. I had the entire 100-yard rifle range to myself (COVID), so there wasn't even a need to call cease-fire.

This does happen quite a lot with deer, sometimes wild turkeys on the range. I was just waiting for the next live fire session and nothing better to do, so snapped this pic and just happened to catch it at just the right moment.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Abso-fukkin-lutely cease fire

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post