SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New-to-me Piano Advice Solicited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New-to-me Piano Advice Solicited Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
My parents are making a gift of an old piano. Formerly the piano belonged to my grandmother's aunt. The piano is a George Steck circa 1937 or 1945. The delivery date is 12-28-20. The piano is in tune. The travel is about 75 miles.

Can the piano sit on a tile floor or does it need a base? Any particulars for the care? TIA.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours sits on carpet with a normal sub-floor, so can't answer the question about tile.

I think the 75 mile journey will most likely alter the tuning. I'd give it a few months for the wood to acclimate to the new location, house humidity, etc before getting it retuned.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure about tile, but our mini upright is fine on hardwood.

Have always heard to not put a piano on an exterior wall.

Our tuner recommend 3-4 visits to get it fully tuned. Tune, settle, repeat, 4x.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a spinet, console, upright, baby grand or grand? It may need a tune after moving depending on how exacting you are about the sound. Our console model just sits on carpet which has padding underneath and seems to be fine. I would think tile would be fine. They don't like temperature or humidity changes very much. I can't imagine 3 or 4 visits to achieve an accurate tune unless this is a Steinway Grand and you are playing it tonight in Carnegie Hall before a sold out audience.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My only concern would be that a tile floor might be a cold, humid base for the piano. It might be better to have a buffer of some kind between it and the piano.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The piano is an upright.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents had a spinet (I THINK) that sat for years on carpet. When my dad passed away my brother-in-law purchased it from the estate. The professional piano movers came out and gave it a close examination and suggested it be tuned once in it's new home and acclimated. It now sits on hardwood flooring. Those professional movers were amazing that they were able to move it so quickly and easily.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'd put it on a rug for a couple of reasons. First you will have a lot of echo or at least it will sound extra loud. Next, as mentioned, it is typically best to keep a piano off a tile floor for humidity/ moisture reasons. Next, don't place it under or over a heat register as blowing hot and cold air are hard on pianos. I would also keep it out of direct sunlight. Finally, you don't want it placed against an outside wall or near an outside door as temperature changes are hard on pianos too.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unless you're going to actually use it, a piano is practically epitome of a "white elephant " gift.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Please consider preparing your home for a delivery. Sweep the drive and walk. Remove the wreath from the front door. Remove area and throw rugs. Etc. Think about a heavy object on any slanted paths and talk the crew through these situations.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post