SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart locks for main entry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart locks for main entry? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
What does the hive-mind think about smart locks for residential entry doors?

I'm going to be replacing the front door of the new house with a decorative steel security door/frame. My inclination is to just install a Medeco Maxum or Mul-T-Lock Hercular deadbolt and call it a day, but the smart locks are so damned convenient re: never having to worry about accidentally locking yourself out.

So how easy are they to hack via app or BT? Does that actually happen, or am I overthinking things?

(I'm really trying to talk myself out of being interested and just keep a spare hidden and secured somewhere in case of lockout.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you mean by "smart locks." If it's wi-fi connected so you can open it with a phone, hell no. If it has a supplemental combo access WITHOUT "connectivity," it's ok but I feel it is less secure than a traditional bolt (opinion only.) If locking yourself out is an issue, fix the self-locking mechanism on the lock not to lock behind you. My doors only lock with a deadbolt and a key. I can't lock myself out cause I gotta have a key to lock the door.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Depends. If you normally keep the door dead bolted when you're home in the day time, then forget the "smart" locks.

If you simply need traffic control during the day time, then sure, add a smart lock but keep the deadbolt for when you're gone or at night.

I work for ASSA ABLOY (parent company of many lock companies, including Medeco and Mult-T-Lock as well as Yale, August and Emtek) I can get our smart locks for free - but don't have them on either of our homes. Tell you anything? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a traditional deadbolt and a smart lock for the door handle lock (passive). That way if you just want to work in the yard or take the dog for a walk around the block you can just use the smart lock door handle lock......then when actually leaving the house for a while or sleeping, you have a traditional deadbolt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart locks are convenient light on security but if you are only trying to keep honest people they are a good way to go.

If you are running an air B&B it's one of the better ways to go.

I use medico where I need key control, I can stop anyone but me from making a copy. This only works for the years the current patent, when the patent runs out, I need to replace the cylinder to keep key control. Not a big deal.

Neither will keep a thief out of most residential places.

Most will just break a window or door if they want to get in.

I had a thief break the hall walls during the day when everyone was a work of several units in a building with good deadbolts.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I work for ASSA ABLOY (parent company of many lock companies, including Medeco and Mult-T-Lock as well as Yale, August and Emtek) I can get our smart locks for free - but don't have them on either of our homes. Tell you anything? Roll Eyes

Tells me all I need to know. I was hoping you'd drop in.

Big fan of your products. Just looking at the consumer websites, I like Medeco's Maxum over Mul-T-Lock's Hercular for forced entry, but probably the other way around for picking attacks (because side-pins... ugh).

Thoughts/Comments?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have a few of the Schlage deadbolt locks that have the 10 digit keypad on them. They are handy for my situation because I have one on my house, one on my detached garage and another on my shop. I was always having to carry keys around all the time so I could lock/unlock the doors. Now we have a 4 digit code that we both can use to access. Easy.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider a mechanical keypad deadbolt, like the Kaba Ilco Simplex locks. They involve no batteries and no motors, but they allow keyless entry with a user configurable code that can include single and combination presses. I've used them on both of the houses I've owned and on my shop. Total of eight or so units and never any issues. They were recommended by a friend who was a locksmith by trade. They lack the sexy of the electronic units, but they also lack most of the potential failure points. I also replace all keyed door knobs with pass knobs.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Locks on doors are just to keep you from becoming a target of opportunity.

If someone wants in your home, they will find a way.

With that said, I have the Yale/Nest lock on my front door. I also recently purchased a new truck that has a fob that I never have to take out of my pocket. So its nice because I now don't carry any keys on my person.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Depends. If you normally keep the door dead bolted when you're home in the day time, then forget the "smart" locks.

If you simply need traffic control during the day time, then sure, add a smart lock but keep the deadbolt for when you're gone or at night.

That is all I need to know about smart locks.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Burton,

How often do you actually use your front door for your own access? Is the front door your primary access, or is a garage/side door? How often do you need to give access to non-family (living in the house) when you're not there?

I'd probably want something I could open without a key for the door I'd (and my family) would be using the most (think electronic combo lock, but not web enabled), especially if it was in a garage (and also especially if the garage had a good properly secured rolling code opener.)

In a lot of suburban situations, the front door is not the primarily used entrance, but it's the one burglars go to first and test. It should be very solid, and, to be honest, not particularly friendly looking (meaning minimum/no glass.) I wouldn't worry too much about pick resistance. I'd worry more about kick/force resistance.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do that

just use a key...is it really that tough

every time I hear the term 'smart' something, the first thing I think of is 'stupid'

like the 'smart car' which isn't, but you get the idea

sometimes simpler is better and not having multiple electronic devices to do the same task as a simple mechanical device - I subscribe to the KISS principle. Its one less thing to go wrong and one less thing to hack.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

In a lot of suburban situations, the front door is not the primarily used entrance, but it's the one burglars go to first and test. It should be very solid, and, to be honest, not particularly friendly looking (meaning minimum/no glass.) I wouldn't worry too much about pick resistance. I'd worry more about kick/force resistance.

While you’re right in thinking most entries are by a door being forced, I’ve watched video from a Ring doorbell in a burglary investigation of a lock on a front door being picked in just a few seconds. Unsure if it was a bump key or a true picking, but it was enough for me to be convinced to spend the money on Medeco.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I used to think that way also. Then I started watching this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/channe...W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

He goes through Medicos and Mul-t-locks like they're not there. If a burglar can learn to pick a Kwik-set, I don't think it would take too much more to learn to pick a Medico.

However, bump resistance is something I'd want. That's just too easy.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

While you’re right in thinking most entries are by a door being forced, I’ve watched video from a Ring doorbell in a burglary investigation of a lock on a front door being picked in just a few seconds. Unsure if it was a bump key or a true picking, but it was enough for me to be convinced to spend the money on Medeco.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Schlage deadbolt locks that have the 10 digit keypad (or you can use a key) for my brother for Christmas, he said no so I took it and put it on my house. Holy crap, we all love it just to push a few buttons to get in is wonderful, we didn't connect it to the internet (yet). Its on the side door which we use most. Under it we have a traditional keyed deadbolt which has the same key as the Schlage pushbutton. On a porch column we had put a lockbox in case the kids ever got locked out or for emergencies and it's still there.

That Schlage deadbolt lock is awesome if you want to walk the dog around the block or stand out front and visit with neighbors but still want to lock the door. Push a button: locked. Hit the 4 digit code, you're in. Love it.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Tells me all I need to know. I was hoping you'd drop in.

Big fan of your products. Just looking at the consumer websites, I like Medeco's Maxum over Mul-T-Lock's Hercular for forced entry, but probably the other way around for picking attacks (because side-pins... ugh).

Thoughts/Comments?

-Rob

It's a push. Medeco are made in Salem VA, Mul-T-Lock is Israeli. Both are excellent, but if you ever wanted a locksmith to pick the uncommon Mul-T-Lock cylinder you might have quite a wait. I have Medeco deadbolts, and a few Emtek locksets with Medeco cylinders. The reality is no one is going to break-in through a Medeco or Mul-T-Lock deadbolt; too many easy targets out there.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Like BBMW’s post...I used to think locks were hard to get past...but that YouTube channel from the Lockpickinglawyer was eye opening...it’s worth a look Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Like BBMW’s post...I used to think locks were hard to get past...but that YouTube channel from the Lockpickinglawyer was eye opening...it’s worth a look Eek

ASSA ABLOY, BHMA, and other BHMA members have quite a history with Mr Tobias.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I want a dumb lock that has a key fob to unlock it like my car. Any one make something like that?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Nope, don't like the idea of those smart, WiFi enabled, locks on the access points to my home. I installed a simple $89 Schlage combo lock on the side garage door and love it. Just punch in the code and come on in. And if WiFi is down, no problem.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post