SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iphone and Itunes Backup Users--Uhh, NEVERMIND, my bad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iphone and Itunes Backup Users--Uhh, NEVERMIND, my bad Login/Join 
posted
If you use your local PC/Mac for backup of your IOS device, be aware that the NEW Itunes has REMOVED the capability to backup OR RESTORE from your local device. Additionally, all desktop management for you Iphone is no longer possible using your PC/Mac.

I you do not currently backup to the Icloud, you are effectively sh*t out of luck.

If you get a new IPhone, you can no longer use that local backup to populate your stuff on it. You are sh*t out of luck.

If you have an older app that is no longer supported on the app store but it still works, you are sh*t out of luck.

If you have passwords that are saved, I believe the cloud does not back them up- mostly because the apps are still available in the app store you are forced to re-download. Unfortunately some apps keep your data within the app itself so when you re-download it no longer contains your stuff. You are sh*t out of luck.

If you are hiding some apps for any reason from downloads, there is no longer the capability to "unhide" them.

Sorry for all the good news but a co-worker just got into a pickle cause he just went ahead and updated to the newest IPhone OS update not realizing that 32 bit apps are no longer supported and a banking app he uses was 32 bit. The journey to restore the phone back then revealed the new (unhappy) reality.

Choose wisely my friends-

http://www.factmag.com/2017/09...-itunes-12-7-update/

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/13...e-removes-app-store/

https://www.macobserver.com/ne...ct-news/itunes-12-7/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JimTheo,

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Linky?

Posts: 3013 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I updated my phone and iTunes, and I was able to back up my stuff.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
I updated my phone and iTunes, and I was able to back up my stuff.

to the cloud or local? The update limits those of us that do not use the cloud for backup but prefer the safety, speed and convenience of local only storage.

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I'm 4 versions behind on my iTunes. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old, but I don't need a fresh interface every two months to keep me engaged. I need to know where the damn play button is when I open it. That said, I just backed up my phone to the computer just fine. Maybe there's an option for some to backdate their version?

I guess this means I should hold off updating my iOS as well, which is fine with me since the current one works well enough. I guess being a late adopter is paying off. Big Grin

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You can still backup and restore locally in the new iTunes. It sounds like your friend was trying to revert to an earlier iOS version which is a whole different operation. Apple only allows you to revert to an earlier version in a very small window of time, but it is not done in iTunes.

The biggest change in this version of iTunes is the removal of the App store from iTunes. You have to access it from your device now.

Here are the changes in the new version of iTunes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208075

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I'm having no issues backing up locally ... I only back up the iPhone locally and not to the cloud.

I've got the newest version of iTunes and the newest iOS version.

Sounds like they removed the feature that backs up the Applications locally; which I'm fine with since I can quickly download it from the store/cloud.

quote:
Cutting app backups and ringtone support from iTunes may be a pain for some users, but it wasn’t an arbitrary decision. Apple now expects users to redownload purchased apps through the App Store and use iOS 11’s settings to reinstall ringtones, which presumes the apps and ringtones you want are still available on the App Store.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest from Apple on backing up and restoring to a new device (including instructions on how to do it using a local backup):

https://support.apple.com/en-jo/HT201269

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
You can still backup and restore locally in the new iTunes. It sounds like your friend was trying to revert to an earlier iOS version which is a whole different operation. Apple only allows you to revert to an earlier version in a very small window of time, but it is not done in iTunes.

The biggest change in this version of iTunes is the removal of the App store from iTunes. You have to access it from your device now.

Here are the changes in the new version of iTunes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208075

The capability to back up locally is no longer there. Desktop management is no longer possible to re-arrange the Iphone. You can no longer update your IOS by downloading to PC/Mac from the net then using a wire to the phone.

It is important because because we have 8 iOS devices — 4 iPad and 4 iPhones — I download the update ONCE to iTunes and each person in the house does the backup, update, restore from that download. So if the Apple servers are jammed we only need to wait ONCE> Now 8 devices will be pinging Apple’s iCloud backip servers and update servers. Each one will have to go through the slow WAITING dance.

Additionally, we had an issue with a stolen phone. How would one restore from the old phone to new when it is no longer available? Quote from the Apple article:
"Bring the two devices close together to begin

Turn on your new device and place it near your current device running iOS 11. The Quick Start screen appears on your current device and offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new device. Make sure it's the Apple ID that you want to use, and tap Continue. "

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
The capability to back up locally is no longer there.

Here is a screenshot I just took. Latest version of iTunes (12.7) iPhone connected via USB cord - you can see the time of the latest local backup - 10:33 this morning.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
OK, based on what you posted, i'm not as pissed so I retract most of the umbrage but not all. Desktop management is still gone.

Hopefully this is the only shoe that will drop.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
All linked articles say the same thing: you will no longer be able to manage apps and ringtones through iTunes. Normal backup and restore functions seem to be intact.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have IOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone, and the latest iTunes on my MacBook. I, too, am able to backup my iPhone to my MacBook. Don't know what your problem is. What is (was?) this "Desktop Management" of which you speak?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9471 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I have IOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone, and the latest iTunes on my MacBook. I, too, am able to backup my iPhone to my MacBook. Don't know what your problem is. What is (was?) this "Desktop Management" of which you speak?

When you mounted the IPhone, you were able to arrange the IPhone "screen apps" any way you wanted. You could do it on the phone itself, but it is easier to move lots of stuff from the Mac. Also you were able to update your apps from the Mac. No longer an option.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've never iTuned. Maybe someday

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Please rectify the misleading thread title, for those who just read the top post it's scary and it appears it is not correct.

You scared the sheit out of me since i updated the spousal unit itunes and she sould have had my heart and testicles on a plate.

Thank you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12272 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Please rectify the misleading thread title, for those who just read the top post it's scary and it appears it is not correct.

You scared the sheit out of me since i updated the spousal unit itunes and she sould have had my heart and testicles on a plate.

Thank you.

0-0

I posed just that question to management. I don't know how yet to change it.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

Thank you.

0-0

I posed just that question to management. I don't know how yet to change it.

Just edit your OP I believe.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. Thenks