SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Shaky Dave" Smith, the shooter with Parkinson's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Shaky Dave" Smith, the shooter with Parkinson's Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
Dave Smith is a competitive shooter with Parkinson's. And an incredibly positive, "can do" attitude. Watch the video of him competing with rifle and pistol-- the dude can shoot. Not "can shoot for somebody with Parkinson's." He can shoot.

I love the second comment under the article: " I got to to hang out with Shakey Dave at the Action Target party during the NRA-AM in Indy. We ate and talked for a while. Seriously a top shelf guy with a great attitude and unmatched sense of humor. His first words when he sat down next to me? "What's shakin'?"

Big Grin

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-parkinsons-shooter/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's amazing to say the least.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great post!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Shake & Bake, Baby.... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I shot with a guy on the state team who while not shaking quite that bad, shook enough that you’d swear he never hit the bullseye. He shot into the 270’s in the NMC.

I also played hockey with another goalie that had Parkinsons. He was worse than Dave off the ice, but his symptoms all nut disappeared once he started playing.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Parkinsons is generally a resting tremor vs. a tremor while in motion (essential tremor). Watch someone like Michael J. Fox sometime and you'll see that he always seems to be moving somehow...an effort to hide the resting tremor.

It doesn't surprise me that the guy is a good shot given his Parkinsons and he should be applauded for getting out there and staying active.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
What strikes me about the guy goes well beyond his ability to shoot well. He says in the article that his goal is to improve, to do better than he did last time. He's competing with himself, not with other shooters. That is a really healthy mindset.

Someone will always be better than you-- at anything. And if that is not the case at the moment, just wait a little bit and someone will come along. Comparing yourself with others-- what they can do, what they own-- is a sure path to frustration and bitterness.

"Competing" with yourself is the way to grow. "Shaky Dave" is proof of that.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember him from NRA Dallas last year. Started following him on social media. Neat guy.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! That is amazing that he can shoot that well. It appears the shaking decreases somewhat when he shoots?

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post