SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antenna gurus HELP please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antenna gurus HELP please Login/Join 
Picture of quil57
posted
My daughter is buying ahome and this is on the roof and I have no idea. I thought it might be HD air antenna but all I look at don't match these pics.

any help is much appreciated!!

https://flic.kr/p/2op8Y8o

https://flic.kr/p/2op9JTX

Posts: 44 | Location: Rock Hill | Registered: October 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd say so. Not this model / brand, but this style.

https://www.channelmaster.com/...tv-antenna-cm-4221hd

EDIT TO ADD: once I knew what to call it...
https://www.solidsignal.com/an...sEAQYCCABEgIckPD_BwE

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try this link.https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/
it shows that brand. its just a tv antenna.

Posts: 192 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
All antennas are HD.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Whoa, what is that thing. Looks like a constellation Eek
What are they trying to pull in with that thing?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That setup is designed to pull signals from different directions - some towns are between major cities and need to point in different directions - think a more permanent solution to having a rotator on a directional antenna. The problem is how the cables are routed - you might actually be reducing the signal if they are combined.

You might check and see if there are any TV stations still using VHF in the area - if so, these antennas will not pick up those signals.

Some sites to check for who transmits on what frequencies:

https://www.antennaweb.org

https://rabbitears.info

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would guess those are UHF. And IIRC most digital signals are in the UHF spectrum.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I would guess those are UHF. And IIRC most digital signals are in the UHF spectrum.
Possibly because the UHF "band" is so much wider than VHF.

In the DC area, at least, there are no analog stations left, VHF/UHF are all digital. This based on every OTA auto-scan I've performed in about the last two years on multiple TVs in multiple locations. Only digital station are found, most stations providing three or more sub-channels (probably why digital has prevailed). I'm sure the FCC has definitive data on this, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are no remaining commercial analog broadcasts in the US.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have a high gain directional antenna in the attic and get 92 channels.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You need to scan the area to determine you stations in your area.
Find out the direction and the actual band they are in.
Like mentioned above most all are shifted to UHF bands because Low VHF are very difficult to get and require a long antenna element.

There is a kid from PA on YouTube that is very knowledgeable on the subject:

https://www.antennamanpa.com/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/@AntennaMan

The scan report you do will determine the direction, distance and relative signal quality expected.

The FCC Website will provide all you need to know.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Brand name and model please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't know crap about antennas, but I saw you post and just went and bought This inexpensive one off Amazon.

Been wanting to drop cable, I very infrequently turn the TV on outside of football season. It does mean I'll have to watch the games live or buy a DVR.

Hopefully this thing works because I'll have to run a line to the attic and remove my TV to hook it up.

Edit, based on smschulz YouTube channel, the one I've ordered is no good. Number 1 on his list Big Grin Thanks for the links!

Edit #2 bou this one instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder how it is grounded for lightening protection?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Exactly! If struck, without protection the feed line goes right into the house. I think I see it going into the eave. Ham radio antenna safety is a huge topic that results in bitter and contentious arguments on www.qrz.com.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Antennas Direct and other websites will help you point your antenna. You definitely have antennas facing 2 directions.

I cut the cable a few years ago. I use a Channel Master EXTREMEtenna 80 that I mounted in my attic. I split the feed to several TVs in the house and use an distribution amplifier to keep my signal strength up. I live about 35 miles from Chicago and get about 100 channels, although there are a good number of home shopping, foreign language and religious channels in the mix.

Sometimes I channel flick with nothing to watch, but it's really not much different than when I had cable. Live sports is the only real let down when you get rid of cable, but there are streaming options available.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Brand name and model please

The antenna was in the attic when I bought the house. The owner had the antenna pointed towards the end wall which is covered with insulated foil resulting in nothing. Big Grin

I moved the antenna so it shoots through the roof towards TV hill and Baltimore. I also added a preamp with about 10 db gain.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quil57:
My daughter is buying ahome and this is on the roof and I have no idea. I thought it might be HD air antenna but all I look at don't match these pics.
As smschulz wrote: All antennas are HD antennas.

What's pictured is a pair of directional stacked bowtie UHF antennas. My guess is the desired stations were far away and on bearings more or less 90° to each other. Odds are the two antennas either do, or once did, feed a combiner, converting two feeds into one.

Somebody went to a lot of trouble for OTA TV Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quil57
posted Hide Post
What's pictured is a pair of directional stacked bowtie UHF antennas. My guess is the desired stations were far away and on bearings more or less 90° to each other. Odds are the two antennas either do, or once did, feed a combiner, converting two feeds into one.

Somebody went to a lot of trouble for OTA TV Smile

thanks can you tell me what hardware she will need inside to connect to the antenna?

only one smart TV

Posts: 44 | Location: Rock Hill | Registered: October 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quil57:
thanks can you tell me what hardware she will need inside to connect to the antenna?

only one smart TV
Without more information: Not really.

I assume they combined the feeds from the two antennas into one with a combiner. If so, and if it's still there, then she need only hook the output of that to the coaxial antenna connection on the TV, tell the TV to scan for OTA stations and she's done.

If the two antenna feeds are not combined, then see if either antenna, alone, provides a suitable selection of stations (this would involve doing the channel scan thing for each antenna, separately) or acquire a combiner.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
That person REALLY wanted to cut the cord to cable TV and get all that was available free over the air-waves. They skipped all of the Micky Mouse interior antenna options and went Ron Swanson "whole-ass" on that TV antenna setup.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post