SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan Rapist Awarded Joint Custody Of Child He Fathered After DNA Test Proves He Is The Father
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Rapist Awarded Joint Custody Of Child He Fathered After DNA Test Proves He Is The Father Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
http://www.detroitnews.com/sto...d-custody/106374256/

Michigan rapist gets joint custody

A Sanilac County Circuit judge has granted parenting time and joint legal custody of an 8-year-old boy to a convicted sex offender who allegedly raped the child’s mother nine years ago.

Christopher Mirasolo, 27, of Brown City was awarded joint legal custody by Judge Gregory S. Ross after DNA testing established paternity of the child, according to the victim’s attorney, Rebecca Kiessling, who is seeking protection under the federal Rape Survivor Child Custody Act. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 25.

The case, initially reported on “The Steve Gruber Show,” a Lansing-based radio program, is believed the first of its kind in Michigan and possibly the nation. According to the victim and Kiessling, it was prompted after the county surveyed the victim regarding child support she had received this past year.

“This is insane,” said Kiessling, who filed objections Friday with Ross. “Nothing has been right about this since it was originally investigated. He was never properly charged and should still be sitting behind bars somewhere, but the system is victimizing my client, who was a child herself when this all happened.”

Ross disclosed the rape victim’s address to Mirasolo and ordered Mirasolo’s name to be added to the child’s birth certificate — all without the victim’s consent or a hearing, according to Kiessling.

“An assistant prosecutor on this, Eric Scott, told me she had granted her consent, which was a lie — she has never been asked to do this and certainly never signed anything,” Kiessling said.

Ross could not be reached Friday afternoon.

Scott did not return telephone calls Friday, and Sanilac County’s elected prosecutor, James V. Young, was out of the office for the day and unavailable, a receptionist said.

Kiessling said her client was notified she was “not allowed to move 100 miles from where she had been living when the case was filed, without court consent.”

“So the prosecutor told her she had to come home immediately or she would be held in contempt of court,” Kiessling said.

That instruction, along with other matters ordered by the court, will be taken up at the hearing later this month.

According to Kiessling, Mirasolo forcibly raped and threatened to kill her client, now 21, nine years ago when the woman was 12. Mirasolo was 18 when the incident occurred in September 2008.

“She, her 13-year-old sister and a friend all slipped out of their house one night to meet a boy and the boy’s older friend, Mirasolo, showed up and asked if they wanted to go for a ride,” said Kiessling. “They thought they were going to McDonald’s or somewhere.

“Instead, he tossed their cellphones away, drove to Detroit where he stole gas from a station and then drove back to Sanilac County, where he kept them captive for two days in a vacant house near a relative, finally releasing the older sister in a park. He threatened to kill them if they told anyone what happened.”

Mirasolo was arrested a month later, she said, when her client was pregnant.

While the assault potentially carried a penalty of life or any term of years but not less than 25 years, Mirasolo was given a plea deal by the Sanilac County Prosecutor’s Office for attempted third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Mirasolo was sentenced to one year in the county jail but only served six and a half months before early release so he could care for his sick mother, Kiessling said.

“She (client) and her family was told first-time sex offenders weren’t sent to prison because people come out worse after they go there,” said Kiessling.

In March 2010, Mirasolo committed a sex assault on a victim between the ages of 13 and 15 years old. He served only four years for that second offense, Kiessling said.

Barbara Yockey, Mirasolo’s attorney, said it’s unclear what her client’s future involvement — if any — will be with the child. She declined to discuss any of his past criminal cases.

“Chris was notified of the paternity matter and an order of filiation was issued last month by the court saying he had joint legal custody and reasonable visitation privileges,” she said. “He never initiated this. It was something routinely done by the prosecutor’s office when a party makes application for state assistance.

“I don’t know what his plans or intentions might be regarding any future relationship with the child,” Yockey said. “This might be something we will have a conversation about, but he has not been served with any other court papers and is not scheduled to be in court.”

Meanwhile, the rape victim’s family suggested abortion or giving the child up for adoption. She did neither.

“To her credit, she said she didn’t want the baby to be a victim, too,” said Kiessling. “She dropped out of school, went to live with relatives out of state and worked jobs to try and support herself.”

The Detroit News’ policy is not to identify sexual assault victims.

The woman spoke briefly Friday about her situation.

“I think this is all crazy,” she told The News. “They (officials) never explained anything to me. I was receiving about $260 a month in food stamps for me and my son and health insurance for him. I guess they were trying to see how to get some of the money back.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What kind of bullshit law allows a rapist to have any claim on a child? I think the rapist needs to have a little ... accident.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
How can this even be a true story ... on multiple fronts.

Unbelievable.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I was half expecting the "rape" to be statutory or something making the joint custody not perhaps so unreasonable given all the facts.

Nope, this is as bad as it gets! Holy crap. I also can't fathom how kidnapping someone for 2 days and sexually abusing them can be plead out to nothing? Isn't kidnapping (minors no less) supposed to a major federal crime, next only to murder, investigated by the FBI?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
The inmates are running the asylum.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Wow, I was half expecting the "rape" to be statutory or something making the joint custody not perhaps so unreasonable given all the facts.

Nope, this is as bad as it gets! Holy crap. I also can't fathom how kidnapping someone for 2 days and sexually abusing them can be plead out to nothing? Isn't kidnapping (minors no less) supposed to a major federal crime, next only to murder, investigated by the FBI?

Yeah, I read the story on another site and figured they must have left something out, that there had to be a loophole - but I don't see one and can't justify this decision with any rational thinking.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Maybe the judge is ruling according to the letter of the law. Maybe there is no provision in the law for when the child is conceived due to rape. Regardless, this is not justice.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, joint custody should be moot as he should be serving 2 consecutive life terms for kidnapping and raping 2 girls for 2 days in an abandoned house.

In what liberal hell-hole is that plead to a misdemeanor?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the reported circumstances of the original assault and kidnapping are even remotely accurate, the plea bargain offered to the offender was shameful and outrageous. Let out to care for his sick Mom? After raping and kidnapping a 12 year old girl? WTF!
And then re-offend?
Thank God I don't live in Sanilac Co. and my condolences to those who do.
And the custody matter? Insanity.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Wood. Chipper. Now.

That, or give me five minutes alone with him in a room. I only need five minutes.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Why the poor girl's father didn't air out this pedophile rapist is a puzzler.

Screw the potential contempt of court charges, she should move out of state as far as possible.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Father was probably not in the picture.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Why the poor girl's father didn't air out this pedophile rapist is a puzzler.

Screw the potential contempt of court charges, she should move out of state as far as possible.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Well, joint custody should be moot as he should be serving 2 consecutive life terms for kidnapping and raping 2 girls for 2 days in an abandoned house.

In what liberal hell-hole is that plead to a misdemeanor?

Apparently in Michigan.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's crazy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The rapist, judge and defense lawyer should share a common fate.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That's some fucked up shit. And the judge is as fucked up as Mirasolo.

https://www.thepetitionsite.co...ross-from-the-bench/

https://www.inquisitr.com/4545...-mirasolo-rape-case/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3794 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What kind of bullshit law allows a rapist to have any claim on a child? I think the rapist needs to have a little ... accident.

About the same time as that idiot "judge".

Just one more indication of how screwed up our "legal" system has become.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Hang 'em both. The rapist and the judge both need to go.

And, televise it.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect this will end much differently than what is currently reported. Perhaps this is the first step in requiring dirt bag child molester to pay support and entitle the child to whatever benefits are due ... and the next is terminate his visitation rights or possibly all of his parental rights. It would make some sense if paternity had to be established first and it doesn't sound like there was a lawyer to explain to the court that visitation (probably the default arrangement) was a bad idea.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What kind of cephalophallic ruling is this? There must be more to the story though what I'd have to sift through to find it gives me the creeps.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29718 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post