SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodpecker solutions attacking house?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodpecker solutions attacking house? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Painted wood trim, not cedar, but some places the paint has peeled off, which apparently has been enough to encourage a woodpecker to go after the trim.

What has actually worked for people? (I know, it's a firearms forum, but shooting and other over the top or impractical replies aren't helpful).

Going to address the condition of the paint but don't have expectation that that will be enough.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that woodpeckers mean there is food somewhere (bugs) in there.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Woodpeckers will peck even if there is no food. They peck baseball sized holes in my wood columns out front. They're not looking for food. Maybe shelter. I patch the holes, they make new ones. I've seen woodpeckers peck metal siding and window AC units. Maybe they're just practicing, I don't know.

People will say that an owl decoy doesn't do any good but we have actually had luck limiting it with an owl deke. Decoy got blown over by wind and we didn't notice it for the weekend and a pecker made a new hole. Maybe correlation does not equal causation, but who knows.

Otherwise, the three "S's" may apply.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that problem earlier this year. Did two things that solved it. Woodpeckers don’t like shiny things moving around near them, so I hung some aluminum strips on my siding around the area they were pecking and installed a suet feeder on the opposite side of the house. They feed at the feeder and have left the siding alone since then.

I originally used pieces of aluminum foil for the hanging strips, but that didn’t work so well as the first windstorm blew them off the siding. Finally made some out of a cut up aluminum foil pan that you buy for a couple bucks at any grocery store and that did the trick. Used pushpins thru the foil and into the siding to hold them on the house.

My fallback position if the above solution had failed was a pellet gun!

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
I had that problem earlier this year. Did two things that solved it. Woodpeckers don’t like shiny things moving around near them, so I hung some aluminum strips on my siding around the area they were pecking and installed a suet feeder on the opposite side of the house. They feed at the feeder and have left the siding alone since then.

I originally used pieces of aluminum foil for the hanging strips, but that didn’t work so well as the first windstorm blew them off the siding. Finally made some out of a cut up aluminum foil pan that you buy for a couple bucks at any grocery store and that did the trick. Used pushpins thru the foil and into the siding to hold them on the house.

This worked for us as well - the aluminum part, we did not put in a feeder.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3930 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one that would "drum" on a master bedroom vent pipe on the roof starting at sun-up. I am not normally up or awake at sun-up. A pellet gun solved the problem with one shot, and I left his carcass up on the roof. No problems since.

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the color of your paint, can you mix some ghost pepper powder in with the paint? I don't know if they will react to the spiciness, but it sounds like a fair solution if they did!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Depending on the color of your paint, can you mix some ghost pepper powder in with the paint? I don't know if they will react to the spiciness, but it sounds like a fair solution if they did!

They don't taste what they are pecking & birds don't generally react to pepper, which is why it can be used to keep squirrels out of bird feeding.

May try the aluminum pan trick until we can get this remediated and repaired.

Have had suet in the past, not this year, but now think I'll put it down in a corner away from the house. Maybe they like Pear tree.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Something like this works. I had a similar problem. I hung a WalMart bag in the area. Problem went away.

The ghost pepper in the area did not work.

I did happen to call DNR about the problem, and he did tell me that you can "discourage them".

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post