SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Expensive watches, WHY?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Expensive watches, WHY? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
my only complaint is some lack simplicity



meanwhile wife wants a nice Rolex,, but I have heartburn coughing up 5-6K for a watch, on the secondary market


There’s a lot of simple luxury watches out there!
IWC, Blanc Pain, AP, Cartier, Tudor…
No complications outside of a date, simple in design and presentation. Classic “Gentlemens” style watches.

As far as buying watches-
I don’t think I’d get one, especially a Rolex new.
I’d always look at the secondary market! There’s a bunch of reputable sights out there!
Get Bezel
Chrono 24
Bob’s



wife found one she likes on Chrono24, so I am about ready to pull the trigger so to speak and get it,

anything I should know before I do?

the watch is in ITaly, from a trusted (by Chronos) seller,

I've bought on Chrino24 but my rule was from US only. Be careful.



There ain't much difference in the man I want to be and the man that I really am.
 
Posts: 11009 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If you can afford them, why not?
 
Posts: 1860 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The thing about Rolex is they are mass market at this point. They make about 1,000,000 a year per reports. MBA theses have been written about their marketing department. They control their narrative with an iron fist and sponsor high end sports and even though they make 1mm units a year they have created an image of exclusivity.

Here are other brands that cost as much as a house or 2-3 houses. But are so niche only hard core fans know about them.


Much like De Beers with diamonds and Porsche..I mean how many 911 variants can you come up with??


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
 
Posts: 7379 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
For me, it was all about the Rolex Yacht-Master. I first saw this watch in the 1990's and fell in love with its look.

It did not scream look at me; I own a Rolex.

However, it was a purchase for which I did not have the money.

I followed the evolution for decades, although cosmetically, it did not change much.

This was the watch I said I would one day own, when I had the discretionary income (quietly knowing, that day would likely never come).

After my Son graduated with his undergraduate degree, he was visiting his girlfriend at the time in GA. He called me and told me he was looking at a used Yacht-Master, model 16622. He bought it.

I was proud and somewhat envious all at the same time. He had achieved a couple of goals and wanted to reward himself.

Fast forward to 2022. My wife and I were celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary. My wife said she had a surprise for me. She presented me with a wrapped box, upon unwrapping it, I could see it was a Rolex.

I opened it and it was a Yacht-Master 126622, with a slate dial.

I could not believe what I was looking at, my eyes began to water, and I was overcome with emotion.

Having never really discussed this with my wife, this was the generation, size, model number and dial I would have selected, for my Grail watch.

I have worn it every day since receiving it.

I almost always wear long sleeve shirts, so it is not apparent I am wearing two watches. I wear a Pixel 4 watch, due to a health condition I need to monitor, but I also wear my Yacht-Master every day.

This was my Grail watch, and I am a very proud owner.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 37185 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^
Great story Steve. Wear it proudly.


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
 
Posts: 7379 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that great story, Steve!




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42142 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I've never been into expensive jewelry/watches. I did purchase the $700 Trump Victory watch. The recent expensive purchase I made was a 2023 Stingray. ( Eek paddle shifters). Spent 17 years rowing gears in my C5. At 70, these paddles are Heaven.
 
Posts: 740 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a Yachtmaster 116622 as well. It too was my holy grail watches. Before that I bought budget TAG watches that always broke every 2 years. I walked into the Rolex AD looking to get my TAG fixed and happened to mention I love the yachtmaster but am too cheap too buy myself one. The guy responds, if you want one right now, I'll give you 30% off, I looked at used prices and they were only 10% less. I bought it.

3 things about a Rolex, you can always sell it to pay to get yourself home from anywhere in the world. The other thing is they don't break, mine lived a pretty hard life and went 10 years before needing an overhaul and still looked 95% new when I brought it in, came out looking new. They also hold their value and as time goes on increase in value, much like guns and unlike most other watch brands.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,
 
Posts: 21808 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Expensive watches, WHY?

© SIGforum 2026