SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Single-Board Computer Geeks: I Seek Your Guidance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single-Board Computer Geeks: I Seek Your Guidance Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
For what you're doing I would recommend not going with the base Raspberry PI OS as it is still 32 bit (least it was the last time I looked).

Ubuntu has an install specific for the raspberry pi. This is what I have been using on my PIs for the past few months - and confirmed that all of the packages you mention above are available.

Problem is I need support for that 7 in. touchscreen. Would the RPi Ubuntu install have that?

Here's what the product page for that touchscreen display says:
quote:

Touchscreen drivers with support for 10-finger touch and an on-screen keyboard will be integrated into the latest Raspberry Pi OS for full functionality without a physical keyboard or mouse.

Product page: Raspberry Pi Touch Display

I think maybe it's made by Cytron Technologies?

More info here: Raspberry Pi 7 Inch Touch Screen Display at Cytron Tech.

No specific experience with what you are trying to do, but I suggest picking your functional software before peripheral hardware - it's likely that there are plenty of other touchscreen options & you are going to have to fuck around with it to get it to work anyway. Get it working via remote, then worry about the touchscreen. You might find remote monitoring is enough & save yourself some $$ and headaches of the touchscreen.

From your link: "Simply connect your Raspberry Pi, develop a Python script to interact with the display , and you’re ready to create your own home automation devices with touch screen capability."
I think you're thinking that you can just plug the screen in & 'control the Pi'. This ain't apple, it don't just work. It probably CAN work with any of the base OS', just add time & effort.

That touch screen is almost double the cost of a Pi - hate to get that deep into the project & find you have a dependency that clashes with the RpiOS. You'll end up learning KiCAD, making a PCB & learning how to solder SMT by (shaky) hand, then realizing you should have done something else. Ask me how I know.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I think you're thinking that you can just plug the screen in & 'control the Pi'. This ain't apple, it don't just work. It probably CAN work with any of the base OS', just add time & effort.

I'd assumed the touchscreen would have the necessary drivers such that it would "just work" with an X window manager.

No, I'm not interested in soldering components (though I can) nor writing software (though I can).

Anyway: I've Bigger Fish To Fry right now, so this has gone way back burner. Thanks for the hints, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'd assumed the touchscreen would have the necessary drivers such that it would "just work" with an X window manager.

No, I'm not interested in soldering components (though I can) nor writing software (though I can).

Anyway: I've Bigger Fish To Fry right now, so this has gone way back burner. Thanks for the hints, though.

Rpi, USB & ethernet cables + 5V/3A power supply is going to set you back well less than $50. Get it working via remote (keyboard & usable screen size). I bet in an afternoon you can get ~90% of what you want working. Then decide how far you want to take it. Hint - a web interface that works on mobile is a lot easier than integrating a touchscreen.

I have Rpis & Arduinos I usually use to make something quick & dirty work, but the 90/10 rule applies - That last 10% of polish/function will take 90% of the total effort.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Having to haul-around a screen and keyboard, plus be able to power them up wherever I wanted to use the tool, would defeat the purpose. For that I'll just use my laptop.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
From your link: "Simply connect your Raspberry Pi, develop a Python script to interact with the display , and you’re ready to create your own home automation devices with touch screen capability."

You're taking that quote out of context. The full bullet point is "Make your own Internet of Things (IoT) devices including a visual display. Simply connect your Raspberry Pi, develop a Python script to interact with the display, and you’re ready to create your own home automation devices with touch screen capability."

That bullet point is talking about using the RPi and the touchscreen to build your own IoT device with the touchscreen acting as the display/interface for the IoT device, not as the monitor displaying your Linux desktop.

To just use it as a monitor, plugging it in and maybe loading a driver is all you have to do.

All of the official Raspberry Pi peripherals and accessories are pretty much plug-and-play.

From the rest of the text, it's not clear whether 10-finger multitouch and a native on-screen keyboard are already supported or if support is will be added in the future, but the normal RPi distros do support basic touchscreen use.

Even if an on-screen keyboard hasn't been baked in yet, the official RPi distro is just a fork of Debian. It's trivial to install a package to add one (although it might be a little clunky - don't know, haven't tried it, but that has been my experience in general with open source software - it'll do the job but sometimes lacks polish).

https://pimylifeup.com/raspber...-on-screen-keyboard/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how including the 1st sentence changes the context, which is why I left it off. I don't think any network tool company needs to be worried about people taking a Rpi & a touchscreen and stealing their market.

Ensigmatic specifically states he want's 'plug & play' or at least close to it. I'm pretty certain he doesn't want to use command line & OSK with a 7" LCD. Maybe I read that wrong, but I will state again that it's not a great idea. I'm not trying to discourage the project, I think it would work & I'd bet Ensigmatic can do it.

I made suggestions from the perspective of a novice taking on a bigger project than needed or making it more complicated than it needs to be. I have 5 or 6 Rpis, 2 Beaglebones and more arduinos that I can think of and every time I use them, my initial ideas of the project get pared down to the necessities once I realize how much work a 'nice to have' will be. My KiCAD/custom PCB example was from me making a WIFI fireworks controller that got a bit out of control due to some poor early design decisions (IE, I had no idea what I was getting into, but did it anyway). I would have welcomed someone telling me I was making it too hard, but I didn't know my invisible gun friends were into DIY electronics.

Again, I'll use the 90/10 rule - I think 90% of what he wants could be done with a Pi, power supply & ethernet cable. Logging could either be sent by email or checked from SSH, live stats could be done from a laptop, phone, tablet, etc via SSH or a web interface. Buttons & screens are expensive (time & money) to integrate. You're probably carrying around a slightly smaller than 7" touchscreen in your pocket already, I'd use that if you can.

I forgot to give a bit more wisdom I learned from that project - If your plan involves buying a 3D printer to make a box for your project, you should re-evaluate. Although that was a huge positive coming out of that project & kept to my ethos of never passing up the chance to buy a tool you don't really need.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
For what you're doing I would recommend not going with the base Raspberry PI OS as it is still 32 bit (least it was the last time I looked).

Ubuntu has an install specific for the raspberry pi. This is what I have been using on my PIs for the past few months - and confirmed that all of the packages you mention above are available.

Problem is I need support for that 7 in. touchscreen. Would the RPi Ubuntu install have that?

Here's what the product page for that touchscreen display says:
quote:

Touchscreen drivers with support for 10-finger touch and an on-screen keyboard will be integrated into the latest Raspberry Pi OS for full functionality without a physical keyboard or mouse.

Product page: Raspberry Pi Touch Display

I think maybe it's made by Cytron Technologies?

More info here: Raspberry Pi 7 Inch Touch Screen Display at Cytron Tech.
I ordered one of these screens and I’ll let you know if it works with Ubuntu 64-bit.

I’m working on an in-vehicle server for the times I’m out of range of the actual internet.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I ordered one of these screens and I’ll let you know if it works with Ubuntu 64-bit.

I’m working on an in-vehicle server for the times I’m out of range of the actual internet.
The good news is it works with Ubuntu MATE 64-bit. The bad news is it really sucks without an actual keyboard. It's no where near an iPhone/Android keyboard. Total frustration. Florence crashes. A lot. Matchbox is better but not as usable. When they're large enough to use they take up too much space on the 800 x 480 pixel screen.

Maybe I'll use it for an interface but right now it looks like it may be better to just run a server on the Pi and control it from my iPhone.

Not ready for prime time. A laptop is going to be a better option.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post