SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC - Dont assume hotel room weapon is allowed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC - Dont assume hotel room weapon is allowed Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
Those who believe they can possess a weapon in the hotel for protection may be in for a surprise - even if not a surprise in NYC:

"A hotel guest was busted when he told staff he forgot to pack his loaded handgun, cops said Tuesday.

Torrie Flock, 23 from Charlotte, N.C., rang front desk reception at the Harbor Motor Inn on Shore Parkway in Gravesend Monday afternoon to say he’d left a .45 caliber Smith & Wesson under the mattress in room 218, officials said.

When he returned to retrieve the firearm around 1:30 p.m., cops ​were waiting and arrested him.

Flock was arraigned on criminal possession of a weapon ​charges ​Tuesday, and held on $7,500 bail."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...-to-get-his-gun.html

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
People need to remember that New York City likes to think that it's it's own country, and they'll prove it to you by trying to fit as much of their foot up your ass should you ever forget it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
While it's appalling (and what about NYC is NOT appalling?) what idiot doesn't know that you can't carry a gun into NYC? I guess some people learn the hard way, but sheesh, if you are going to carry you better do a little research before hitting the road.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not clear on the charge. It's not legal for out of state to have a gun in NYC? I thought hotel rooms were considered temporary domicile?

This is just insane - even LEO's can't / don't keep track of current law in their own jurisdiction. How can a normal person be expected to keep track of all the insane laws across the country (federal, state, county, city levels)? It's impossible to navigate the holistic PC involved during travel.

We need one law: shall not be infringed. Period. Anywhere for anything.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"A hotel guest was busted when he told staff he forgot to pack his loaded handgun, cops said Tuesday.

Torrie Flock, 23 from Charlotte, N.C., rang front desk reception at the Harbor Motor Inn on Shore Parkway in Gravesend Monday afternoon to say he’d left a .45 caliber Smith & Wesson under the mattress in room 218, officials said.

Well he wasn't smart, didn't get the rules on NY and Guns and jail.

All he had to do was go back and tell them he'd left his cell phone, underwear, pants, condoms, whatever in the room

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
While it's appalling (and what about NYC is NOT appalling?) what idiot doesn't know that you can't carry a gun into NYC? I guess some people learn the hard way, but sheesh, if you are going to carry you better do a little research before hitting the road.

I guess I'm an idiot. Smile I wouldn't CCW but I'd have guessed locked carry is okay and in the hotel room is okay.

That's worse than even around here. And I think around here is about is low as a state could go in terms of 2A.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

I guess I'm an idiot. Smile I wouldn't CCW but I'd have guessed locked carry is okay and in the hotel room is okay.

That's worse than even around here. And I think around here is about is low as a state could go in terms of 2A.

When I have to go to NY for work, overnight or otherwise, I go by the line of though "not even a pocket knife"

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
My larger concern is: Here is a fellow carrying in NYC, which is frowned upon.
How on earth, can a situation aware individual, "forget" their firearm? Does this concern anyone
other than me??

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
quote:

When I have to go to NY for work, overnight or otherwise, I go by the line of though "not even a pocket knife"

God forbid, if I ever have to go to NY/NYC, I'll keep that in mind. I have no plans to go in my lifetime. Smile

But still, wherever I would go, how does one really keep abreast of the law at the state, county, city level?

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chief1200:
My larger concern is: Here is a fellow carrying in NYC, which is frowned upon.
How on earth, can a situation aware individual, "forget" their firearm? Does this concern anyone
other than me??

If he was stupid enough to bring a handgun into NYC, than nothing else he did comes as a surprise to me.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Its a darn good thing all of the laws in NYC prohibiting weapons has made it a crime free utopia

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You cannot possess, own, fondle, carry, be near, store, loaded, unloaded, a firearm in NY if you are not a resident of NY.

You may by law pass through the state of NY with a firearm, unloaded, in the trunk, no ammo, no loaded mags, and while you can technically stop for fuel, food, take a leak you cannot stop for an overnight. You'd be wise to fuel up in PA roll through NY without stopping.

If you get stopped and notify them of the firearm in your vehicle or you are going to jail so unless they want to search your vehicle, being sgt shultz is paramount....

Unless you like a few years in jail...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
How on earth, can a situation aware individual, "forget" their firearm?
It can happen. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one here (since it has been mentioned by other members) who have left home and turned around to go back. An empty holster on my belt doesn't feel right, but I have gotten five or ten minutes away from home before the light bulb comes on over my head and I realized what was wrong.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
other than me??

Shidt happens, we're all human....

I had a buddy have this happen to him when flying, the short version is last minute call from boss, grab a bag be on next flight to national convention in Las Vegas, he grabbed the wrong bag with a hidden compartment with a small carry pistol.

Needless to say TSA was not happy and he spent the night in jail, and some cash to get it fixed. A simple mistake, humans make them, we just have to minimize the possibility of error

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not legal for out of state to have a gun in NYC?

Nope.

My New York State pistol license is not valid in New York City.

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Only the criminals can have a Gun in NYC!

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
How on earth, can a situation aware individual, "forget" their firearm?
It can happen. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one here (since it has been mentioned by other members) who have left home and turned around to go back. An empty holster on my belt doesn't feel right, but I have gotten five or ten minutes away from home before the light bulb comes on over my head and I realized what was wrong.

Still irresponsible but one could see plausibility of a situation where a holstered weapon is under the mattress, one goes out for a celebration, partakes in drinks, crashes in bed upon returning to the room, and groggily leaves to catch a 4am slight and not remember to pack the holstered weapon. Shit happens to the best of us.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
You cannot possess, own, fondle, carry, be near, store, loaded, unloaded, a firearm in NY if you are not a resident of NY.

You may by law pass through the state of NY with a firearm, unloaded, in the trunk, no ammo, no loaded mags, and while you can technically stop for fuel, food, take a leak you cannot stop for an overnight. You'd be wise to fuel up in PA roll through NY without stopping.

If you get stopped and notify them of the firearm in your vehicle or you are going to jail so unless they want to search your vehicle, being sgt shultz is paramount....

Unless you like a few years in jail...

Not intending to subject myself to the possibility of this situation but these two things seems contrary: may pass through state but if you notify LEO during a stop results in jail. Curious on what the issue is for latter case.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
It's not legal for out of state to have a gun in NYC?

Nope.

My New York State pistol license is not valid in New York City.

Wow. NYC has gone full retard. Smile

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
The Rotten Apple bites the big one.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post