SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you leave your computer monitor on?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you leave your computer monitor on? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
First world problem of the day. I was wondering if leaving the monitors on for the household computers uses any appreciable energy vs turning them off. The one at my workdesk does not have a front-facing power indicator so I sit there and look at it not realizing it's on.

Do you leave yours on all the time? Is it ok to do that?

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My screen is pretty much on all day when I am home, but I dim the screen if I'n not actively looking at it.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I leave mine on as well. I can't imagine a flat screen monitor uses much current while it is "asleep".

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I leave my monitor, and my PC, on 24 hours a day. Haven't had any problems over the years doing that.

If I'm gone from the house overnight or longer, I turn off my PC, and my monitor goes to a "standby" mode.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
On but it goes into a standby mode after a time.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nope. Everything gets turned off at bedtime, and then fired up in the morning.

Not worried about power consumption or potential damage, but I'm of the opinion that a daily "reboot" is a Good Thing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I leave mine on all the time.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
yes, all day and night for years at a stretch.

i reboot probably every 10 days or so.

they all go to sleep mode after a while anyway

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My Eizo EV3237 has a power save mode, which blanks the screen and turns the power light from green to orange. Typical normal use uses ~30W, and power save mode <0.5W.

My Mac has an energy saver setting called "Turn display off after:", which I have set to 8 minutes. This puts the monitor in power save mode. I usually remember, though, to invoke power save mode with a keyboard shortcut (Shift-Control-Eject) when I get up from the computer chair. If I forget, then it does it on its own after 8 minutes.

I never turn my monitor off. I bought it in November, 2015.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Usually, but it goes to sleep after about 10 minutes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I leave my 2 monitors on 24/7. They drop into standby mode after a while as does my MacBook Pro that is attached.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
ON

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Nope. Everything gets turned off at bedtime, and then fired up in the morning.

Not worried about power consumption or potential damage, but I'm of the opinion that a daily "reboot" is a Good Thing.
That's the same thing I do. When I go to sleep, all unnecessary electrical devices get powered off.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I leave both the monitor and PC on 24/7. Both go to standby after around 15 minutes. I do reboot the computer once a week.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My shop computer monitor has been on ever since work gave it to me approx 20 years ago. It is set up to go into power save mode. NEC multisync XE21, big heavy but won’t die.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I always hibernate when i have to leave though it's set to hibernate my itself if no activity in 3 minutes.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screensaver set 5 minutes to go to blank screen

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I let my monitor manage its own standby power setting.

I have 4 monitors attached to my computer. If I power the computer on without a monitor attached, either physically or because it is powered down, the computer will reassign monitor setting to the best of its ability to make use of what is available to it. This messes up color profiles and the like.

He monitors power down to standby moments after the computer shuts off, and I imagine the standby power is just a few watts these days.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my monitor shuts off if no activity for 1 min.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
my monitor shuts off if no activity for 1 min.

As does mine. It's not really off, it's sleep mode.

I never turn it off until I buy a new one.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post