SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So we have to rename the birds...to be more inclusive
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So we have to rename the birds...to be more inclusive Login/Join 
posted
The shit leftards strike again. Apparently, naming birds after humans may "cause pain to people", so they're renaming them. Goodbye Steller's Jay, Cooper's Hawk, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/01...emove-human-monikers

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm still gonna eat a goddamn bucket of Colonel Harlan Sanders Mutha fricken got damned chicken, with all its 7 spices and shit!!!

Mmmm mmmmmmm mmmm....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
They better leave alone my Beloved Red Head Big Breasted Bed Thrasher.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just give them the bird.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Im a birder, and during my time in the hobby, they’ve renamed some of the birds already. Before i got into it, i also had no idea how long ago the bird names were given until i studied a particular bird.

Me, being a staunch conservative, this change for the reasons given, are ridiculously laughable. I could see a change for the Hitler heron, Hussein harrier, Sirhan Sirhan stork, etc, but there isn’t anything this obviously bad. It is just another lefty move to further their nutty world view.

I’m not going to cry and stomp about it since there is no one to cry to. Few people bird, and fewer people really care…the birds don’t care.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
All I know is when I hear Nuthatches while deer hunting, good things happen. For some reason it has become my good luck charm, the distinctive nasally tweet.

OK, maybe add the ‘Dickcissel’ to the list to rename. I could list others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickcissel

Who was that guy that fiddled while Rome burned??

Posts: 6186 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In case anyone was wondering what the previous name of the long-tailed duck was that NPR couldn’t possibly include in their article: oldsquaw duck.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
As Rush used to say the left excels at symbolism over substance.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
And as Dennis Prager says, “EVERYTHING the Left touches, it destroys.”

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
While I would not call myself a birder, I enjoy watching birds at our feeders. I make an effort to try a learn the names of the birds that feed in my area. The names will remain the same for me.

Besides, it will take any naming body 10 years of debate and navel gazing to determine the new names.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I saw this last night. Idiots.

I think they even “renamed” a bird heralded after John Audubon of all people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...icially-renamed.html

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Oh FFS

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
At least the Tufted Titmouse will be safe from this. Unless...

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2174 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
My wife always said if I was a bird I would be called a Hairy Chested Nut Scratcher.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's because the American Ornithological Society has vowed to change the English names of all bird species currently named after people, along with any other bird names deemed offensive or exclusionary.

^^^ So who put these clowns in charge of "bird names"? Confused

I guess bird-pronouns are next. Eek

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
How about the 'Urban Thug Hawk', maybe the 'Antifa Falcon'...You know, for equity and stuff! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8958 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilber Tufted will be spinning in his grave.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54708 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
What about Woody Wood Pecker? Three phallic references in a row. Eek

Posts: 5750 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When they get around to tree names they can bypass the Tree of Heaven, it’s already known as the Ghetto Palm around here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post