New
Find
Notify
Tools

U Boats Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Werner's "Iron Coffins" is very good. He survived the whole war in U-boats, which was extremely rare.

Yes, I read the highest casualty rate of any service during WWII. Never a shortage of volunteers, either.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Das Boot is a good movie. It became a favorite in the Chief's mess on a Guided Missile Cruiser I was on in the 90s. On deployment we would go a whole week playing that movie every night, then it would get put away for a while. I haven't watched it since then, I need to though!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Enemy Below" was on yesterday. Good Sub flick.
Another one I enjoy is "Assault on a Queen" where Frank Sinatra and friends re-float a sunken U-Boat and use it to hijack the Queen Mary. Cheesy but fun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those close by there is a us sub also available for tour in Buffalo New York at the naval and servicemans park. Really nice destination with multiple aircraft a pt boat sub destroyer and guided muzzle cruiser all there plus the on shore museum. When I lived there visited multiple times and they have multiple memorials including one dedicated to Iraq/Afghanistan and even one on vets of the polish army in ww2

Posts: 3374 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
For those close by there is a us sub also available for tour in Buffalo New York at the naval and servicemans park.

There's also the USS Razorback in Little Rock, AR and the USS Cavalla in Galveston, TX.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ace522
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the USS Cobia, in Manitowoc, WI. She is a Gato-class fleet boat that survived 6 war patrols in the Pacific in WWII. She is moored at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, and avaiable to be toured.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.o...xperience/uss-cobia/

Posts: 361 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
For those close by there is a us sub also available for tour in Buffalo New York at the naval and servicemans park.

There's also the USS Razorback in Little Rock, AR and the USS Cavalla in Galveston, TX.

We've got the USS Batfish in Muskogee.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4635 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
USS Torsk is in the harbor in Baltimore.

Edited to add: It sank the last warship sunk during WW2.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff Yarchin,

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Hardegen wrote "Drumbeat," about the U-boats operating off the US east coast in 1942. It was a slaughter for our ships. It was a very good read. +1 for Iron Coffins.

I saw U-1 in Munich, U-995 (Type VII) north of Kiel, and U-2340 in Bremerhaven (Type XXI). Haven't made it to -505 yet, but it's on my bucket list. I was stationed in Germany, and just hopped on trains to see the German museums.

The Type VII and Type IX boats were way smaller than the typical US fleet boats (700, 1400, and 2200 tons respectively, if memory serves). The Atlantic and Pacific had very different operating environments, hence the differences in designs.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Couple years ago I spent a morning crawling around inside USS Drum in Mobile, Al. I was the only living soul aboard and I was struck with just how cramped it was. I can't imagine just how unpleasant conditions would be with a full crew, submerged, during combat operations.

Posts: 2654 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Couple years ago I spent a morning crawling around inside USS Drum in Mobile, Al. I was the only living soul aboard and I was struck with just how cramped it was. I can't imagine just how unpleasant conditions would be with a full crew, submerged, during combat operations.

Yes, they were cramped.

I visited Drum twice. If memory serves, it was the only sub where I could enter the conning tower (besides the German boats, I also toured HMS Alliance and USS cod, Cavalla, and Marlin).

But the U-boats (not counting Type XXIs) were twice as cramped. Only the skipper had a 'room,' but that was about the size of a phone booth with just a green curtain to give a semblance of privacy. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
USS Torsk is in the harbor in Baltimore.

Edited to add: It sank the last warship sunk during WW2.

I've been through that one. Limited to what they let you see. Basically walk one end to the other inside on the top level. I really wanted to get down to the engine room we could see through a hatch.

So little room. You walk through it single file and really can't go back to see something if you miss it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
There is a U-Boat sitting on the bottom of the Potomac. U-1105 It sits in about 90' of water. Had to opportunity to dive it about 5-6 years ago.

Fun dive but requires some planning because of the currents in the Potomac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-1105

Marker buoy is removed ever year before winter and reinstalled in the spring. Do not tie into the marker buoy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
There is "Torpedoes in the Gulf" by Melanie Wiggins.

It is about the Uboats and Galveston and the Gulf of Mexico. 56 ships were lost to U Boats during the war. Pretty amazing feat for the distance travelled to get to Texas!

Published by Texas A&M I will add.

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the first book about submarines that I read as a kid (12-ish maybe) was " Run Silent, Run Deep " by Commander Edward L Beach, USN.

Great book!

A movie was made about the book starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
New jersey moors the USS Ling, a Balao class sub. I was on it as a cub scout. I remember the smell. Very industrial. The museum is closed to the public I guess because.of the.lack of interest..Such a shame.
Apparently there is a Balao class sub still on active duty with the Taiwanese.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3927 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post