SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do with 36 gallons of stale peanut butter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with 36 gallons of stale peanut butter Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
My understanding (don't take my word for it) is that anything that has been properly canned (including pasteurization at the appropriate temperature) in a metal can or in a glass jar with a proper canning lid with a good seal is safe as long as the integrity of the container is maintained, no matter how long that is. Color, texture, and flavor may go downhill, but it won't actually hurt you.

I don't think normal grocery store peanut butter jars are actually canned. Not sure about whatever gallon containers the food bank has. Under normal storage and use times, it doesn't really need to be canned because it doesn't really have any water in it so nothing can really grow in it.

Without going into a lot of detail I'll simply say that I have eaten various canned foods years past their expiration dates... vegetables, fruits, soups, jams/jellys, cheap peanut butter that separated, dried goods, and they were all edible. Obviously I checked the seal on the items that were sealed, and checked the appearance, smell, and taste, before downing the whole container, and I was none the worse for eating them.

A friend got into a bind one time and so I decided to help him out and donated several expired cans of food to him. Most of the cans he opened were just fine, however there was one expired can of tomatoes that when he opened them there was the distinct smell of spoiled food and the water/fluid surrounding the tomatoes was saturated in tiny bubbles. I can't recall now, the can may have had a small dent in it, but there was no obvious signs of the can being broken or unsealed...needless to say it was thrown away.

It may offend some people's sensibilities and contradict the choices people typically make regarding their subjective quality standard for food, but properly canned and undamaged food stuffs can be eaten well past their printed expiration dates. It wouldn't surprise me however, to learn that there is a true finite date in which these items truly go bad, but it isn't often the date printed on the packaging.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it seems like everything has to have an expiration (or best by) date now. I’m not convinced that they are anything more than CYA in many cases.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
No joke, old peanut butter can harbor aflatoxins (the B1 variant capable of being deadly) if exposed long enough to a warm moist environment where the Aspergillus mold can take hold. No animal is immune to aflatoxins; ruminants especially succumb to the effects. Lots of bad advice from foolish posters suggesting to just hand over stale PB to a pig/goat farmer, who shouldn’t blindly give his/her livestock questionable feed.

Throw the crap out.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I think H&K Guy has a few ideas.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You could bake a dozen peanut butter cookies for each SIGForum member.....Big Grin

KARMA time! Big Grin

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You could bake a dozen peanut butter cookies for each SIGForum member.....Big Grin

KARMA time! Big Grin

Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter cookies...tummy's grumbling now, nothing finer...well, except maybe peanut butter fudge! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If stale peanut butter killed feral hogs, every farmer in the country would want to purchase it

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post