SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do with 36 gallons of stale peanut butter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with 36 gallons of stale peanut butter Login/Join 
posted
In working with some local food banks, I've somehow ended up with 36 gallon containers of stale peanut butter from 2009. Other than throwing it all away, what could be done with this?

Posts: 2379 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear food? Pigs?

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Is it suitable for peanut brittle??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It would make great hog bait, do you live in an area with hog hunters/trappers? If not, a local farmer or two may be interested as feed supplement for domestic hogs.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If stale, it is inconceivable that it would be edible, or even safe. Toss it.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yeah...I guess 10 years beyond usable date would probably preclude it for human consumption.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Send it to that guy on youtube that eats the really old MREs.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Take a gallon to a park and make a bunch of squirrels really happy.

Set up squirrel obstacle courses to get the PB reward. Video them, post to YT, profit?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Hours of fun! It never gets old!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
Yeah...I guess 10 years beyond usable date would probably preclude it for human consumption.
I should have specified human consumption. Of course, you could give it to somebody you hate ...

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bears love it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Feed the hogs

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You could bake a dozen peanut butter cookies for each SIGForum member.....Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Hog or goat farmer would love it.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Someone beat me to the squirrels but birds love it, too. If you have pine cones, roll them in PB and then roll the PB laden pine cones in bird seed. Scatter them around your yard and you'd soon be the envy of Alfred Hitchcock (if he was still with us).

Even with that, ten gallons ought to be enough to last at least another ten years or so.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive every squirrel for 100 miles in any direction absolutely crazy. Be sure to post some video.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
It would make great hog bait, do you live in an area with hog hunters/trappers? If not, a local farmer or two may be interested as feed supplement for domestic hogs.
Along those lines, a pest control guy could use in his live animal traps too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

BS, I opened olive painted number ten cans of peanut butter from the Korean War back in 91 or92..we had to stir the oil back into the paste but we ate it. Uncle Sam knows a thing or two about PB n J!!! Wink

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Donate to Shep Smith?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

BS, I opened olive painted number ten cans of peanut butter from the Korean War back in 91 or92..we had to stir the oil back into the paste but we ate it. Uncle Sam knows a thing or two about PB n J!!! Wink

Agreed. I'm a peanut butter fiend, good stuff or the cheap stuff...I suppose it's possible that peanut butter would go bad in certain situations over decades...but I have yet to come across a bad jar even after sitting for years.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

My understanding (don't take my word for it) is that anything that has been properly canned (including pasteurization at the appropriate temperature) in a metal can or in a glass jar with a proper canning lid with a good seal is safe as long as the integrity of the container is maintained, no matter how long that is. Color, texture, and flavor may go downhill, but it won't actually hurt you.

I don't think normal grocery store peanut butter jars are actually canned. Not sure about whatever gallon containers the food bank has. Under normal storage and use times, it doesn't really need to be canned because it doesn't really have any water in it so nothing can really grow in it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post