SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My two seconds of fame - Letter to the editor was published
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My two seconds of fame - Letter to the editor was published Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I wrote a quick note to the editor of the local paper. He wrote a good article. I only said a couple words about the case, but they published it.

https://www.verdenews.com/news...-someday-find-peace/

Editor:

Dan Engler’s editorial “Justice still waiting to be served for Marisol Gonzalez” was an incredible article; exceptionally well written.

Thank you for pointing out the facts so clearly in this situation. I grew up in Cottonwood. I lived here when this happened. While everyone claims to know who committed the crime, there is no proof. Your editorial really spells it out and was refreshing to read.

May the family of Marisol someday find peace.

Noah Skelton

Cottonwood

I’m pretty sure it’s behind a paywall, so here was the article I was commenting about:

The words “miscarriage of justice” were echoed long and loud throughout the Verde Valley following last week’s hung jury in the Cecilio Cruz murder trial.

Certainly after 23 years, the family of Marisol Gonzalez and her unborn son are more than deserving of closure to this hideous murder. We’ve all heard the words of how the wheels of justice turn slowly, but 23 years is totally unacceptable when it comes to this case. Since March 1997, the death of Gonzalez and her unborn child has been a festering sore that won’t heal for Cottonwood.

At the same time, Friday’s judicial outcome should not come as a surprise. This case has been wrought with legal challenges from the very beginning. A conviction for Mr. Cruz was more easily found in the court of public opinion than it would ever be in a court of law.

The reasonable assumption always has been that Cruz was guilty. He was the father of Gonzalez’s child. Their relationship was estranged. He was also the father-to-be with a second young lady when Gonzalez was shot in the face. There was that mysterious late-night phone call from the Cruz residence and Marisol’s decision to meet with someone in the alley behind her home.

Reasonable assumptions. Logical theories.

But as Cruz’s defense attorney said in his closing arguments to the jury, “Theories aren’t evidence.”

And that’s what has been sadly lacking from the very beginning in this case. If the legal case against Cruz was as rock solid as the case in the court of public opinion, it would not have taken 17 years after the murder to secure a grand jury indictment against him. And that came only after a television show about the case piled one reasonable assumption on top of another to force the case into a court of law.

Assumptions, not evidence.

Such as: The weapon used to kill Gonzalez was never found. Physical evidence was sadly lacking. There is no DNA. There were no witnesses. There was never an admission of guilt.

There has always been plenty of speculation about Cruz’s guilt. It’s fair to characterize it as reasonable speculation, which is a first cousin to the legal measuring stick known as reasonable doubt.

A hung jury in the Cruz trial should surprise no one. Speculation and assumption are not enough to convict a person under America’s system of justice.

Ultimately, the saddest part of the Marisol Gonzalez murder case is that it continues to hang over the heads of her family and the Cottonwood community.

Justice, for whoever ultimately deserves it, has yet to be served.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post