SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tomato's for salsa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tomato's for salsa Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
What are a good tomato to grow for salsa. I was thinking of planting a big boy as a slicer that may also be good for making salsa?
Something that will blanch well and cook down and be good tasting for salsa we can besides be good for eating. An early girl is also good. Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We use both Early Girl and Big Boy tomatoes. Roma's work well but we prefer them for marinara sauce.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Romas for Pico.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
When I lived in VA I had a terrific garden and grew lots and lots of tomatoes. I grew Better Boys and Romas. Always got more then I could eat. The Better Boys I ate ripe and also canned into salsa that I kept and ate the rest of the year, gave to friends, etc.

You'll need to stake them and support them well...they are viney.

I always got way more tomatoes than I could eat.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anything picked fresh from the garden is going to kick any other option's ass. I would not worry about
"what variety is best," It is much more what variety does well in your soil, micro-climate, and your style of cultivation/care. The "Beefsteak" and "Big Boy" varieties are popular for a reason, and there is probably a a solid argument to be made for this or that heirloom variety, but seriously, "just do it" and you will have the best tasting slicing and salsa tomatoes you can handle.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Pretty much anything picked fresh from the garden is going to kick any other option's ass. I would not worry about "what variety is best," It is much more what variety does well in your soil, micro-climate, and your style of cultivation/care.
^^ THIS ^^

Personally, I've elected to grow a variety. The bulk are for marinara and salsa, but I also grow some slicers and cherry. IMO, salsa is better if you put a a few tomato varieties in it.

Romas/San Marzanos are the staple of my garden.

For cherries, my favorite variety is husky red (best tasting cherry tomato ever) but super sweet 100s are a good 2nd choice.

For slicers, I've tried a variety. We get 2 growing seasons here so my spring tomatoes I like a southern heat resistant variety (i.e. sets fruit above 85F) and this year I'm trying heatmaster. For my 2nd growing season slicers I really like early girl because they should be done before first frost.

Another favorite is growing tomatillos for homemade salsa verde (green salsa).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Rutger is a very versitle tomato.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok guys. Picked 4. A early girl, Big boy, Roma and celebrity. Also got a Banana and jalapeno pepper. Wink

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
tomotillo

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post