SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the name of that thing you can stick in the door of your car to use as a support to help you get out?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the name of that thing you can stick in the door of your car to use as a support to help you get out? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
And are they still available anywhere? Could I simply have one made from suitable bar stock? I have a friend who has trouble rising up from a seated position, especially in her car.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Is it this: https://www.amazon.com/Able-Li...t-Grab/dp/B00I45JJQO

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Is it this: https://www.amazon.com/Able-Li...t-Grab/dp/B00I45JJQO

Exactly! Thank you!

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use one due to paralysis in my left leg. Great gadget!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2159 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think someone makes one with a seat belt cutter and glass breaker in it too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Car Cane

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I learned something new today. Didn't know such a device existed

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What a cool idea, I’ve never seen one before but that’s genius!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I have a version and it really helps getting out of a fairly low-slung sports car, especially in tight quarters such as a parking lot.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Won't work. I need one that shrinks me by 50% and hydraulics my tuckus up out of the seat.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this up. That is an awesome idea. I will have to order one for a family member.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This thing looks like it could easily bend the striker/latch mechanism or change the adjustment since it puts forces in a completely different direction than it was designed for.
Any long term users out there that care to comment?

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have some older friends who need to know about this device.

Thanks

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
A midget?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11216 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm! From the sponsored related products: The ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion - Non-Slip Orthopedic Gel & Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion looks nice!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Mid 70's I made a 'helper' for my mom. As the frame door latch was a thick peg with a wide head I used a medium size hammer, removed the head and re-worked the claw to envelope the latch.
A few neighbors & family friends saw it, wanted it. Taught my younger brother how to make them and I went back to work in The Village.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one for my Dad. And then bought two more for other cars. He has used them in BMW X5; Lincoln Navigator, Honda odyssey and CRV. None has caused any damage over the years. It gives him a great grab on place when getting in.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This thing looks like it could easily bend the striker/latch mechanism or change the adjustment since it puts forces in a completely different direction than it was designed for.
Any long term users out there that care to comment?

Not gonna happen. The door latch hoop on cars is one of the strongest points on a vehicle.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This is your captain speaking.
Picture of TSM11
posted Hide Post
I got one of those for my mother several years ago. Can't remember where it went but if I still have it, I'll certainly instant-Karma it to you. Let me go look around and see if I can find it.

I'm with Rotndad what's your excuse.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 423 | Location: Tampa Bay Florida | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This is your captain speaking.
Picture of TSM11
posted Hide Post
Looked high and low, can't find it. Thought i saw it recently but i guess it went the way of my old car when I traded it in. Sorry DAMN! Frown

I'm with Rotndad what's your excuse.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 423 | Location: Tampa Bay Florida | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post