SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing a cement tub
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a cement tub Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
My son is in the proces if buying a house. The basement has a cement dual wash tub that looks like hell. If it were mine I would throw it out. If I need to remove it, what do I use to cut it up or break it up. Hammer? Some kind of saw?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Rent a jack hammer from Home Depot or similar tool rental place

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
People buy those. Put it on Craigslist, collect money, and enjoy a cold beverage while they haul it out.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
A quick search shows some really cool renovations on these, including some with copper piping, etc.

If there's any way they could use it, might be worth looking around before ditching it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If it's the type I'm thinking of a sledge hammer will work fine.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It may be soapstone. Most of the ones that look like cement are cast soapstone (I've got a porcelain tub, but it's the only one I've seen).

The dual tubs have a cast iron yoke cast into the stone tying the two tub drains together. Once they start leaking at that spot, or fractures appear across the tub, they are fairly useless. The metal stands the tubs are often perched upon, which look like flimsy fish tank stands, turn the whole affair into a potential ankle-crusher.

Once the water lines are disconnected or otherwise out of the way, and you're not worried about the drain line ripping a chunk out of your stack, after eyes and ears are protected, a few judicious knocks with a 4 pound maul will crack the front from the sides.

Try to break it into about eight big pieces. Heavy as heck but easiest to cart out. Gloves and 8" boots are HIGHLY recommended.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Do you own anything in 10mm?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
375 h&h?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
It very well could be soapstone. I would keep it over the new junk they sell at Home Depot. I am sure it can be cleaned up to look like new again.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not necessarily a big proponent, but think that I would give Craigslist a shot first too, you never know. But otherwise agree with a sledge hammer. If you have one, lay a canvas tarp over it to start, this will keep pieces from smacking you in the eyes or head, and just give it a few healthy 1/2 - 3/4 taps, enough to start a fracture, but not so much to cut up the tarp. Once you get a healthy crack or two in it you should be able to knock it down pretty easily.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
Craigslist was a good idea earlier, take a phot and post it and you might be surprised how quick and effortlessly it can go

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Check for Jimmy Hoffa's feet!

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one of those tubs/sinks in the first house we bought and I busted it with a sledge hammer to remove it..damn thing was VERY heavy

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one of those sold at a garage sale last summer for $60.00
but it was in the front yard on saw horses.

someone may give you $15.00 for it if they have to disconnect it and haul it up stairs

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That's not a cement tub.

Those sinks are soapstone slab, and can be worth money by themselves, if the drain connection and joints aren't damaged.

A sledge will make short work of it, but you could reuse or sell it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Folks restore those and some apparently use them in their kitchens. New, they sell for over a grand.

http://www.poshhaus.com/produc...rEAQYAiABEgKZTfD_BwE

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Don't bust it up, bro.

Use or sell.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Don't bust it up, bro.

Use or sell.

My first thought too with an emphasis on repurpose.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to give one away on Craigslist and no one wanted it. Ended up busting it up with a hammer. Wasn't hard at all. I just used a 5 lb hammer and it took about 20 minutes

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The number of people I'd trust to safely move a 350+ pound sink up a flight of steps and through my house? I can count on one hand without using my thumb. A random stranger off CL, no contractor license, no liability insurance, off-the-book 'helpers'? No way they are tackling that project.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post