SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Listening to Merle Haggard and Chet AtkinsTonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Listening to Merle Haggard and Chet AtkinsTonight Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
have two of Haggard's albums, and one Chet listening to them and its great music

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Two of the best!

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the Atkins is an original almost mint 1966 pressing

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
You, sir, have an ear for high quality music.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully got to see them both. Merle twice in the last 2 years before his passing and My folks too me to see Chet when I was a kid in the early 80s. I was about 10. Even at his age Merle put on an amazing show.

I took my 10 year to see Asleep At The Wheel last week and Toby Keith earlier this summer. Hopefully he will remember these shows when he is old like me he can remember seeing some good shows.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
listening through an Acoustics Research turntable, a McIntosh MC252 amp and two Infinity speakers

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Did you know Atkins was W4CGP?

Certified Guitar Player.

He could play!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I did not know that

he was an awesome guitar player and I recall first hearing him when my dad played one of his records when I was about 6 or 7

it was a few months later my dad borrowed a Gibson guitar from a co-worker and I started to learn to play - the guitar was just big enough that I couldn't play it upright so I started learning chords playing it flat

tonight, it will be Glen Campbell Smile

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"You don't care about what I think"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I prefer Hoyt Axton, Waylon Jennings, Hank Sr and Jr, Willie, and Cash, but Merle is definitely cool, and Chet could definitely play. Roy Clark isn't half bad on the guitar, or Carl Perkins, either...

I've been on a Hank Sr and Buddy Holly kick lately, myself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A few months ago I was looking for a Sukiyaki recipe and found the japanese song by Kyu Sakamoto. Original follows below.

The Sukiyaki song, more properly called Ue O Muite Arukou.

https://youtu.be/C35DrtPlUbc

This is the Chet Atkins instrumental cover, very smooth and warm.

https://youtu.be/AnaHaIIRiIc

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/tuMDG5RvdXs

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Love Chet Atkins. Also Roy Buchanan, who can make a Telecaster sing.

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A guitar store in Nashville had a parking spot reserved for Chet Atkins at all times.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well today I've been listening to Carly Simon, James Taylor and Santana

I know, I know but for the life of me I just can't get into Santana - to me all of his music sounds the same - much like Boston - you hear one song and you've heard them all

but on a positive note, I found another Merle Haggard and another Chet album...

posted Hide Post
So much good Merle stuff. The 2 that came late to the party for me was Merle and Jewel, and the Haggard kids singing one of the late Merles early hits, The Runnin' Kind. Here's the Utube versions.

https://youtu.be/oe1Kpf0cizc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV7EsL3H8Bw

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I was able to see Merle when he was in Baton Rouge. I've always loved his music

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just stay here and drink

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Saw Merle once. Great show.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post