SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Payment on fence repair. Please tell me if I’m outdated?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Payment on fence repair. Please tell me if I’m outdated? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
I’m hoping to have some repair work done on my wooden fence, and a gate replaced. The estimator told me it was 33% down, another 33% on start date, then the final payment when all was done.
Is this the new normal? I’d appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that, I’ve always seen it done as payment when the fence is finished. Maybe they’ve got ripped off by people not paying when the fence is up.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the state and local customs.

Max upfront payments are often by statute, MA is 33% upfront or the cost of custom materials whichever is greater.

Fl it is up to 50%

CA is 10%

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would purchase the raw materials myself rather than hand over 33.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
The way I’m looking at this, it’ll be 66% upfront. I’ve done 50% down, but this is new to me..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The last time we replaced a fence was a couple of years ago. I was given a very close estimate of the raw materials and paid that in advance. The rest was paid after the job was done.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when I was a service manager for a fire protection company in New Jersey part of what I did was install fire protection systems in commercial restaurant kitchen hoods.

We worked with a local sheet metal company. They put the hood in and we installed the system.

The way we worked was, a third at the sighing of the contract, a third when the fire system was installed in the hood, and the final third when I did the final inspection with the fire inspector.

When I moved to Florida I needed a fence. When I moved here it was still very rural.
I found a local feed dealer who also did fences. He came to my house and gave me a verbal price.
I asked if he needed a deposit and a sign contract to start. He reached out his hand and I shook it and said, when I am done if you are happy with the job come to the store and pay me, boy have time changed. That was almost 24 years ago.

I guess it would all depend where you live.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the bastards don't have a line of credit to purchase the materials for the job, fuck em. I'm not giving any of these grifters money up front again for anything. Once you do that, they have little incentive to do the job as promised. Ask me how I know. Once burnt twice cautious.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I just had my fence replaced three months ago.
Paid the full amount at the completion of the job. The company did not require any deposit.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We fenced the back yard of our daughters house as a house warming gift last year and payment was upon completion.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The last time I had part of the fence replaced they showed up and did the job and I gave them a check for the full amount when they were done. It wasn’t a huge job, they completed it in one day.

Bigger jobs like when we did the windows and siding involved money up front and a payment schedule base on completed milestones but unless the fence job is huge that seems excessive but, as mentioned, that may be how they roll in wherever you are located.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As far as what's legal, that's entirely a state-specific (and maybe even local) question. In Maryland, a contractor may not collect more than 1/3 as a deposit, but beyond that, the law is silent.

The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 you describe isn't uncommon here, but I've had plenty of work done where I haven't been asked for a deposit and a couple of jobs where I was asked for more than the allowed 1/3.

Know your state/local law & regs, then know what you're comfortable with within those parameters.

Given my experiences with no-show contractors over the past few years, I would hesitate to pay too much of a deposit unless it was by CC.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
$3,200 worth of split rail work last year.

Local company required 50% when we signed the contract, 4 weeks before the work was performed.

Balance due after the work was completed.

It was a local company with decades of experience.

We did pay with CC.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We put new fencing in at the daughters home, zero down, 100% on competition, in fact I think they just billed us.

Look around find a local company, family owned which is what we used, quality work, done on the right day at the right time.

Posts: 23502 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Payment terms drive behavior. They can drive good behavior, they can drive poor behavior, and anything in between.

I work for a large, multinational corporation and so contractors know there is likely repeat future business if they perform well the first job. The dollar amount is many, many orders of magnitude greater than anything I do at home. We have incentivized the right thing (e.g. customer satisfaction bonus) and seen great behavior (e.g. work a couple Saturdays to recover schedule and meet mechanical completion milestone) from Contractors. We have incentivized the wrong thing (e.g. too much money on an insignificant schedule milestone) and seen poor behavior (e.g. do work out of sequence to get payment but 2 block subcontractors on later milestones with less incentive).

I have to do a reset with my thinking when I have projects contracted at home. Future work for me is unlikely as most stuff I'd have contracted would last a decade or more. Future work for word of mouth referrals will generate some good behavior. The dollar amount is significant to me, but it's not enough where 33% hold-back at the end of the job is going to drive desired behavior of start on-time, finish on-time, and do quality work.

Way too many horror stories of homeowners giving somebody 33% up front and never seeing them again.

Way too many horror stories of homeowners giving somebody 33% to show up for day one and:
  • they never show up for day 2 or day 2 is many months after day 1. You've given them 66% of the job for buying materials and showing up, and they're going to make more money doing the same day 1 for somebody else rather than showing up for day 2. How is your life impacted if they tear down the fence on day 1 and day 2 is building the fence, but day 2 happens 60 days later? A contractor could easily have a low cost crew tearing down old fences, and a crew with more skill building the fences and the 2 crews get out of synch schedule wise.
  • Also, 33% of show up doesn't mean they're going to be there at 8 AM and put in 8 hours. They could show up at 4 PM and work an hour to get 33%.

For a fence and gate, I wouldn't be comfortable any more than 10% up front and 90% at end of job. I'm with others that I'd much rather 100% at the end of the job.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Perception
    posted Hide Post
    Fenced in a 1/3 acre yard with black chain link a few years ago. It was 100% upon completion. That was a pretty small job though, so it may have been different if it was bigger or needed custom materials.

I think I would be happy to front material cost, but basically 66% up front would give me pause unless it was a very reputable company.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford, "it is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    Unless the materials or something are very unique and special order and they would be stuck with if you didn't pay or it's a very long job to complete, no way.

Most times the job is a day or two, maybe a week at most. That's the sign of a fly by night contractor to me.

I've heard too many horror stories of people fronting money to smaller contractors and a variety of problems were the result. Sometimes you don't know until months later when the supplier files a lien on you for the materials, but you paid the contractor up front. Yes, that's your problem then.

If you have someone that's starting out but you know they're trustworthy, I'd go when they pick up the materials and pay that part directly myself and get the receipt. Then what you're paying for is really just the labor.

Speaking of fly-by-night's, I'd also ask for a liability insurance policy certificate to be sent/emailed to me if they seem at all questionable (normally free to them by their insurer). Or even better, pass on them.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    I learned the hard way. Handyman dude disappeared with tasks half done, scammed me out of $$. Screwed my neighbor the same way. No more payment in advance, once burned, twice shy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    I've never paid anything up front for any contracted service at home. Not even on big jobs like a nearly $20k reroof. That's definitely not the norm around here.

I've only ever paid 100% at job completion. However, I have purchased materials on my own before and provided them for the contractor after they gave me a list (like all the tile, waterproofing, and grout for a shower remodel).

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Ice Cream Man
    posted Hide Post
    Personally, I’ve always bought the materials, at the supply house of the contractor’s choice.

Never had someone gripe about that.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post